Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM

196 posts, read 419,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
You need to get out more. There are plenty of good burger spots in the range of $5 -$7.
I just don't know. I each out constantly trying new places, and have never been to a place in Houston remotely close to Kopps in Milwaukee. They have the awesome simple burger, awesome ice cream combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Further View Post
I just don't know. I each out constantly trying new places, and have never been to a place in Houston remotely close to Kopps in Milwaukee. They have the awesome simple burger, awesome ice cream combo.
Way outside of the loop, but what about Culver's in The Woodlands?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
New 2014 Alison Cook list is out. Some new places

The 100 best restaurants in Houston - Food Chronicles

Old 09-27-2014, 11:46 PM

129 posts, read 170,903 times
An Indian place on the north east side would be nice. I don't know of an Indian restaurant anywhere near north or east Houston. But Ill take any good food that isn't from a chain and doesn't taste like it was slopped together in 2 minutes. Such a thing is hard to find.
We could also use good Texas barbeque anywhere in the city. Gatlan's is average and marinated in salt.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:04 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
You need to get out more. There are plenty of good burger spots in the range of $5 -$7.
+1, You have Sparkle's in Third Ward, you have Hubcap Grill downtown just to name a few.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:18 PM

135 posts, read 179,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
They aren't even in the same league. Jersey diners are open 24 hrs. The 59 diner may be; I am not sure. The menu size at a Jersey diner is much larger and (usually) the food is better, especially breakfast. I can't even explain it. If you have been to a Jersey diner, you would know what I mean.
In my opinion, it's really hard to find an authentic "diner" anywhere in the Sunbelt - and that might be the demarcation line for all eternity. At its surface, diners were cheap, easily constructed, family-owned 24 hour restaurants that were "where you ate". They all evolved their own menu specialties and often reflected the demographics of their communities (and certainly of their usual Greek owners!). And in my opinion, they were often this way for a distinct lack of options to eat elsewhere. I remember less of the food and more of how they were a "local experience", although the food was often good.

What you see down here are the usual bland "50's diner" mark-ups with milkshakes and Hamburgers (or the God-forsaken Waffle Houses) - and that is probably as real as it is going to get. You probably could not force-feed good Cajun or a lazy Texas Icehouse into most places on Route 3 in New Jersey, and you can't import the Tick-tock diner here. Time and place, I guess.

In general, the food in Houston is very good and superbly diverse, and I also think people need to drop the "inside the loop" myopia if they want to experience the diversity part. Nobody is special enough to limit their food options to what exists inside a 10 mile-wide circle, especially in an un-zoned, sprawling city without mass transportation like Houston. I understand not wanting to drive to Katy, but complaining about a lack of ethnic food "X" near your Midtown apartment is silly when it exists a short drive away. It's not a meaningful boundary.

And I agree about a truly good deep-dish pizza place, but those also don't export well outside of Chicago. Hard to get that crust right.... maybe it's the local water?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Houston has just one brewpub. Shocking for the largest city in Texas.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:54 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Houston is lacking a Greek American restaurant like Niko-Nikos over on the west side.

Oh, wait....

Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
A couple of good Tibetan/Nepali places would be nice.
Don't make me ***. (Get it, ***)

It's the animal that nobody should name ( y - a - k)

Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Way outside of the loop, but what about Culver's in The Woodlands?
Also a Culvers in Kingwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston