Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Also a Culvers in Kingwood.
You can drive to Humble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,474 times
How has no one in this thread listed Cuban food yet? I checked Yelp and the best suggestions were El Ray & Cafe Piquet. My wife & I went to Cafe Piquet, ordered a couple of sandwiches & left disappointed. Not to mention considerably more flammable than we entered. Good thing there were no sparks nearby, because the only thing I tasted in that mess of a sandwich was oil. Now that corporations are people I could've passed as a distant cousin for BP.

As for El Ray, blech...

Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
How has no one in this thread listed Cuban food yet? I checked Yelp and the best suggestions were El Ray & Cafe Piquet. My wife & I went to Cafe Piquet, ordered a couple of sandwiches & left disappointed. Not to mention considerably more flammable than we entered. Good thing there were no sparks nearby, because the only thing I tasted in that mess of a sandwich was oil. Now that corporations are people I could've passed as a distant cousin for BP.

As for El Ray, blech...
There's actually several other options, but most of them are outside the loop. Try out Rincon Criollo, Flor de Cuba, La Vina, Cafe Cubano, or Rice and Beans Cuban Cuisine and see which one hits the spot.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Yup, Stanton's City Bites over in the First Ward has the best burgers in town (imo) for that price. That it looks like an old convenience store (which it was back in the day) in a historic area adds to its charm and authenticity.
I can't eat those burgers. They are always way too raw for me.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Yes, a few times. Not even close to the diners back in NJ.
59 Diner is typical chain food. Diner by title only.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Have you been to the 59 Diner?
It's really hit or miss. If it's breaded and fried, it's probably as bland as can be. I'm not even sure there's black pepper in it.

Also, you'd think because you're somewhat Southern there in Houston that you can find good biscuits and sausage gravy. Anyone who knows a hole in the wall might educate me, because I never came by it. Whataburger not even halfway understands what it's doing. Breakfast Klub does it well with andouille in a New Orleans-ish twist (and is kinda expensive, Midtown rent tho).

Cracker Barrel gives you the cream gravy they'd put on chicken fried steak. IHOP, same thing.

In Ohio there's a Bob Evans in just about every town, much like Whataburger in Texas. Xenia has a stray location of West Virginia-based chain Tudor's Biscuit World. If either were in Houston, they would be the place to go.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Also, you'd think because you're somewhat Southern there in Houston that you can find good biscuits and sausage gravy. Anyone who knows a hole in the wall might educate me, because I never came by it. Whataburger not even halfway understands what it's doing. Breakfast Klub does it well with andouille in a New Orleans-ish twist (and is kinda expensive, Midtown rent tho).

Cracker Barrel gives you the cream gravy they'd put on chicken fried steak. IHOP, same thing.

In Ohio there's a Bob Evans in just about every town, much like Whataburger in Texas. Xenia has a stray location of West Virginia-based chain Tudor's Biscuit World. If either were in Houston, they would be the place to go.
Well it seems you did find what you were looking for at the Breakfast Klub. Just like most major cities in the south, you will only find a small few of popular establishments that do regional cuisine "right". The best stuff will be in a place that you probably can't even search online..some shack on the side of the road in a neighborhood most don't want to venture into.

The best biscuits and gravy I've ever had were my own.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's really hit or miss. If it's breaded and fried, it's probably as bland as can be. I'm not even sure there's black pepper in it.

You said Bob Evans. I miss that place from Ohio too. I loved their Colonial dressing (and the biscuits, of course). It is funny the things you miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston