Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:36 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,601,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
What i can't believe is the amount of people wanting to move to nyc. Must be a lot more liberals in houston then i thought.
Is political bent front and center of every major decision we make, such as where we live or where we want to live?

It's this kind of mentality that makes me consider whether I'd want to stay in this country at all.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,514,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I was born and raised in NYC, living in the Houston area for the last 2 years and I have never, ever, ever, etc.....visited a State where its citizens had so much pride in it. I love taking my kids to all the diff historic places to read and learn about Texas history. Us NY'rs aren't like that when it comes to NYS as a whole. Given Texas' rich history, I can't blame people for having such deep pride for being Texans. It's one of the things I love the most about living here. If I were a first Gen Texan, I'd be quick to dress down someone whom spoke ill of the State. Texas is awesome and I don't plan on ever moving from this State!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,514,034 times
Oh, I'd probably stay somewhere nearby, if not in Houston metro. It's home. Traveling doesn't appeal to me short of a cruise to Antarctica that I'll get in one day, so I have no interest in seeing the ~5% of some other large US city that isn't a ghetto when I can find that here.

I have family in Belize, which may be a close second since that's where my dad was born, but I hear most of that place isn't worth bragging about, either. I'm not a beachcomber, so staring at water all day is out.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:16 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,804,033 times
I'd agonize over whether to keep Houston as my "base of operations", or move out to the Texas hill country. In either case, I sure wouldn't spend my summers in Texas. I'd probably split summers between the northwest (Seattle or Vancouver) and somewhere on the Mediterranean or Adriatic Sea.

No offense to my Dutch friends, but I'd never set foot in the Netherlands again. If you're independently wealthy in this country, you might as well have a target on your head!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:48 AM

403 posts, read 682,963 times
Nope. Too much about the mountains and a cooler climate that I miss, so living in the foothills of the Pacific NW Cascades would be my choice. Some day, once again...

Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,033,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is political bent front and center of every major decision we make, such as where we live or where we want to live?

It's this kind of mentality that makes me consider whether I'd want to stay in this country at all.
Yes it sucks. I once told a lady here in Texas that Boston was the most "American" city I've ever been too. I meant historically and culturally. It just seemed very patriotic.

Well she looks at me and says, "wow, but they're so liberal, how are they so American?"

I was floored that she thought you had to be in a red state in the middle of the country to be considered patriotic.

I wanted to laugh and say, well I feel like I'm in Texas here first, then the US. So it doesn't feel like America here either.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:45 PM

672 posts, read 849,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
What i can't believe is the amount of people wanting to move to nyc. Must be a lot more liberals in houston then i thought.
I was born and raised in NYC and I could be Bill Gates wealthy and still wouldn't move back there.....I like my guns and dislike Liberals, so I must stay here in Texas! lol

Old 12-30-2014, 04:29 PM

804 posts, read 1,078,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I was born and raised in NYC and I could be Bill Gates wealthy and still wouldn't move back there.....I like my guns and dislike Liberals, so I must stay here in Texas! lol

heck yes. the only reason I vote for perry is because of his gun stance. lol

Old 12-30-2014, 06:36 PM

87 posts, read 117,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Amen!

Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,853,786 times
All of my family lives here, and that is really the only reason why I stay here. I could get a job somewhere else, and I have thought about taking off for the PNW someday. You don't have to be independently wealthy to leave Houston. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston