Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0825spring View Post
I have lived all over the world, and 6 US states, and have found that in most areas the majority of the population either love it or hate it. There are few middle grounders. Yet, everyone is accepted regardless of their differences in opinions. I grew up in a north Dallas suburb and have lived in Houston twice. My husband grew up in Beaumont during it's prosperous days. Honestly, Texas is the only place I've never felt at home and I've spent over half of my 52 years hear.

The one thing that differs in Texas is the automatic defensiveness of how GREAT Houston, Dallas or the rest of the state is. "If you don't like it then leave and go back to wherever you came from...you don't belong here." Why is it that Texans can't see that there must be a reason that people who have lived and travelled to other places can see that it is missing key elements of truly great cities? I'm honestly curious because I've never been able to figure it out. Sure, the Hill Country, Big Bend Area are beautiful. The Texas coast is nothing to right home about in comparison to CA, FL, OR or WA....I'm not even to mention outside of the continental US. The park systems in Houston and Dallas are okay but don't rival those in other major US cities.

Please, I am curious as to why some Texans get so darn defensive about this state.
Well Houstonians don't necessarily think Houston is the world's greatest city, they just get defensive when people try to paint it as a third world cesspool, and that happens a lot. On top of that, there is a thread about Houston's top rankings in magazines, polls, etc. You may not believe Houston is a world class city, but apparently some non-Houstonian with media credentials does.

Now about that pride. I seriously doubt Texas is unique in that category. You ask why Texans are defensive. I ask why you would NOT be protective about your home. Why is there a LACK of pride such that Texas pride seems 'defensive' in comparison?

To answer the thread - I would definitely stay if I was wealthy, but of course I would travel a lot. Like others have said, family is more important to me than money so I wouldn't want to move further than a few hours drive away.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:11 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
You may not believe Houston is a world class city, but apparently some non-Houstonian with media credentials does.
Those mags were just selling an agenda. They play up the Texas miracle to ramp up hate against California and sell the Texas model of economics to the country. Cities like DC, Boston and the CA Bay Area were also doing well the last five years and the media didn't make half a big deal about them as cities in Texas.

Don't get me wrong I think Houston could be a world class city but it's certainly not there yet. And it certainly doesn't compare to NYC and LA.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:46 AM

87 posts, read 117,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I've never liked the whole Urban Cowboy thing either but I put up with it different strokes and all. In fact I still see Houston as a Classic Rock kinda town which I guess no town has been in a couple of decades lol But if you allow yourself to feel alienated then you will be, there are alternative scenes to country in Houston I think maybe you need to get out of Katy and find it wherever it may be.

I would never tell anybody that they shouldn't love themselves. If I may be so bold as to say maybe the reason you have never felt at home here is because deep down inside you just don't want to be here, and no amount of terra forming the landscape is going to change that. And that is ok as well, but remember home is where the heart is.....
We don't live in Katy Currently in The Heights.

We know we don't want to be here. We're here for our aging parents and latest job transfer. God has a plan and I'll go with the flow; however, it doesn't mean that I'll change my mind about how Houston compares to other cities we've lived in. I prefer quality of life over quantity.

Last edited by 0825spring; 12-27-2014 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 12-27-2014, 10:50 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,431 times
In my experience, Texans have the most pride in their state. Californians hover at the other end of the spectrum. Not uncommon to see Texans hanging the state flag or lone star metal emblem in front of their house. It is a rare sight to see the same in California. Although California and its cities are plastered all over clothing items worn across the US.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:42 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
In my experience, Texans have the most pride in their state. Californians hover at the other end of the spectrum. Not uncommon to see Texans hanging the state flag or lone star metal emblem in front of their house. It is a rare sight to see the same in California. Although California and its cities are plastered all over clothing items worn across the US.
I can't think of any other state where folks hang the state flag or get iron decals of it for above the fireplace.

Texans have the Bush philosophy of "if you're not with it then you're against us" aka "if you say you dislike Texas/your city/etc the GTFO" it's idiotic

You should be allowed to dislike something without the GTFO mentality or comments.

I dislike a good chunk of my family but what can I do? Genetically I'm stuck with them so life and beyond. Houston is like that in a way. I'm sure many parents have the "I cannot believe I gave life to this ungrateful, selfish, insert name child" but what can they do? Commit a crime and enjoy prison or life or just deal and smile and live. Welcome to Houston.

With the COL it's the best bang for your buck for my lifestyle. Doesn't mean I won't travel. If I ever do get independently wealthy I'm definitely booking it outta here during this "winter" until Spring.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Travel seems to be a big component to living in Texas. If they can afford it many take vacations out of state.

Quote:
I prefer quality of life over quantity.
That's the best way to describe the life in Houston. Its quantity over quality.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:53 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Maybe it's how I was raised, but conspicuous consumption never appealed to me. The whole process of going into debt buying things I don't really need to impress people I don't really care about. I've had the same flip phone for four years. I drive something old enough, if it were human, to graduate from high school soon. I'm OK with that. I moved from Houston for strictly business reasons, the same way a lot of people come in. You could say it's to one day achieve independent wealth, or at least independent financial security. To buy a bigger house or car than everyone else just isn't part of the motivation.

But for people who moved to a place like Houston to work for someone else, and they don't like much else about the place, I suppose that kind of thing becomes a yardstick for success. I never understood it.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue;37786486[B
]I can't think of any other state where folks hang the state flag or get iron decals of it for above the fireplace.[/b]
Chances are this is because a star is a nice decoration regardless of the state. And Texas used to be it's own country/republic. It's hard to leave that kind of history behind. Hawaii and California were also their own republics who revere their own location. Hawaii especially keeps their traditions and passes them along. California, not as much, but people tend feel special about being from California - probably because every one else is jealous of their weather. And Vermont was also a republic briefly before becoming a state, but no one ever seems to hear about Vermont in general, except to say that they have some awesome Autumn leaves and great Maple syrup.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:13 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0825spring View Post
We don't live in Katy Currently in The Heights.

We know we don't want to be here. We're here for our aging parents and latest job transfer. God has a plan and I'll go with the flow; however, it doesn't mean that I'll change my mind about how Houston compares to other cities we've lived in. I prefer quality of life over quantity.
I never said you lived in Katy, that first half of the reply was for Radio, I used the muti-quote feature to post replies to 2 different post.

Most people prefer quality to quantity, or at least say they do. If you cannot find the quality you seek in the Heights, then I don't think you will find it anywhere else in Houston since the Heights is one of the most aspirational neighborhoods in this city. I wish you well on your journey. My guess is though, that many, if not most of your neighbors, are happy with where they are in life, and feel they have a quality of life that would be the envy of most people alive on the planet today! Life is what you make it !

Old 12-27-2014, 01:15 PM

87 posts, read 117,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I never said you lived in Katy, that first half of the reply was for Radio, I used the muti-quote feature to post replies to 2 different post.

Most people prefer quality to quantity, or at least say they do. If you cannot find the quality you seek in the Heights, then I don't think you will find it anywhere else in Houston since the Heights is one of the most aspirational neighborhoods in this city. I wish you well on your journey. My guess is though, that many, if not most of your neighbors, are happy with where they are in life, and feel they have a quality of life that would be the envy of most people alive on the planet today! Life is what you make it !
Hey, that's one thing that we do agree on! Trust me, I do believe life is what you make of it and living life to it's fullest. So far we've done a pretty darn good job of it too. In order to continue living a quality life, according to our definition, we will be out of Houston in a New York minute....as soon as our parent's needs are met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston