Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
House is already built and they are my retired parents. What's wrong with taking care of your parents? They will pay taxes and I am covering their medical which is crazy expensive. They plan to stay here during the hard European winters as their age is no longer suitable for cold. I see no wrong in that.
You should send them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
40 posts and all you have is this :-) Meehhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookabang View Post
Ha!

Old 07-29-2016, 10:03 PM

128 posts, read 215,623 times
Quote:
40 posts and all you have is this :-) Meehhh
Nice try at dodging. Didn't even attempt to respond to the rest of my post. Obviously you know your weak and incoherent arguments were exposed.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:04 AM

392 posts, read 317,428 times
Quote:
Wrong, there is no such a thing old vs new. There one thing only and that's the legal path to green card and citizenship.I have no beef with others reaching their American dream as long is on the legal path. I encourage them to do so. I don't support illegal immigrants ...
Regarding illegal immigration, I think you talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Do you do the followings?

1. I-9 and 1099 your domestic workers.
A. Lawn/gardener
B. Maid/housekeeper
C. Childcare giver at your home

2. Insist companies providing services to you to use E-verified.
A. Your home builder
B. The landscape company that you use to plant the 100 trees you previously mentioned
C. Your pest control company, etc......

Most of us don't do it because we generally Look at the price and quality of the work. I believed you when you said you don't "directly" support illegal immigration. But you will do nothing about it and keep receiving the "benefits" of companies that used illegal workers.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:21 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post
Regarding illegal immigration, I think you talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Do you do the followings?

A. Lawn/gardener
B. Maid/housekeeper

A. Your home builder
B. The landscape company that you use to plant the 100 trees you previously mentioned

Most of us don't do it because we generally Look at the price and quality of the work. I believed you when you said you don't "directly" support illegal immigration. But you will do nothing about it and keep receiving the "benefits" of companies that used illegal workers.
Thank you Bubba!!!!

Anybody who bellyaches about illegals needs to do your suggestions first. Then stay out of places like Shipleys and Pappas restaurants. If the newspapers print the fines paid or property forfeited, I stay away from that business.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
I completely agree with you on this. For 1. we have some control. My last lawn guy was American but his crew guess? For 2. I agree that we do receive the benefits, cheap labor, cheap houses, but what can you do about it? Don't buy a house? There are so many thing not in our control. This a huge issue that needs fixing and I have no idea where to even start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarlandbubba View Post

A. Lawn/gardener
B. Maid/housekeeper

A. Your home builder

Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Lets keep this on the energy industry and job status, rather than a debate about immigration. There is already a forum for that.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:15 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
My friend was laid off from a major and hasn't found a job in 5-6 months; he has given up and now selling his house and trying to move back to an apartment. It's hard to go down from making 150K to nothing. He's young and I hope he sells his house (which is priced right but at 550K not sure how much activity it will see) and gets over this. It's sad to see this happen to friends and people I know. If those darn Saudis stop pumping more oil, things might be better elsewhere in the world
Darn...it took over a year but finally my friend got a job couple of weeks ago...phew!!! I'm so glad and happy for him. It doesn't pay as much as before but it's still in O&G and pretty good.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:36 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
So how many people know of Engineers being laid off from the big O/G companies and now finally finding a job that pays like $60k as opposed to what their high six figure salaries were before?

Old 08-14-2016, 12:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
So how many people know of Engineers being laid off from the big O/G companies and now finally finding a job that pays like $60k as opposed to what their high six figure salaries were before?
$60k is like starting salary for engineers in non O&G. Experienced engineers (10+ years) in non O&G should still make in low $100s or at least close to $100k if they are any good. $60k is terribly underpaid for an experienced engineer in any industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston