Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Thank you both very much! Far West Houston, is that Clear Lake? I liked what I have found in regards to schools and prices there!
If you like Clear Lake then you should focus your search there. Much better commute to the port. But, no, Clear Lake is not far west Houston, rather it is southeast of Houston. Far west Houston is Energy Corridor/Katy.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Well at least OP was being honest about it. You like what you like. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is true nobody think twice when a minority ask for an Asian neighborhood but when asking for a white neighborhood, everybody get offensive.

I was initially looking up some neighborhoods like Pearland (50% white), Alvin (60%), Atascocita (52%), Cypress (74%), Tomball (65%), and Kingwood (75%). There really are not too many heavy white middle income neighborhoods anymore around Houston.

Your best bet with your price point is probably Cypress (Northwest), Tomball (Northwest), or Kingwood (Northeast).

Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
I second Mont Belviue - its a more rural suburb....close to the port, and about an hour to downtown. It meets your criteria...and it is MUCH more rural. If you want more suburban than Mont Belviue, then Friendswood (zoned to Friendswood High School) /Clear Lake (zoned to Lake High School) are both great choices.

I also think you could do Kingwood and be quite happy. Its less than an hour to downtown, and about 80-90 minutes to the port.

Much of drive time in Houston depends on WHEN you leave...if you have to goto the port you could leave at 5:30am and get there fast from the danged ole woodlands - but if you leave between 6:30 and 8, prepare to sit in traffic.

Dont pay attention the overly sensitive liberals here - they are offended by everything, and just live a generally poor, miserable life.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 AM

303 posts, read 366,082 times
The OP really wants to live in River Oaks - he/she basically nailed it with the "what I don't want"

Quote:
Crime
Lots of young singles/non-families
"Multiculturalism/Cultural Diversity"
A neighborhood where a large chunk of our neighbors/local retailers aren't English speakers
Tons of noise
But alas, he/she has a 300K budget.

To Vidor/Orange you should head....

Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 AM

130 posts, read 164,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I second Mont Belviue - its a more rural suburb....close to the port, and about an hour to downtown. It meets your criteria...and it is MUCH more rural. If you want more suburban than Mont Belviue, then Friendswood (zoned to Friendswood High School) /Clear Lake (zoned to Lake High School) are both great choices.

I also think you could do Kingwood and be quite happy. Its less than an hour to downtown, and about 80-90 minutes to the port.

Much of drive time in Houston depends on WHEN you leave...if you have to goto the port you could leave at 5:30am and get there fast from the danged ole woodlands - but if you leave between 6:30 and 8, prepare to sit in traffic.

Dont pay attention the overly sensitive liberals here - they are offended by everything, and just live a generally poor, miserable life.
Thanks! I've seen stuff I really like in Kingwood and Clear Lake. Will look at the other places too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
The OP really wants to live in River Oaks - he/she basically nailed it with the "what I don't want"

But alas, he/she has a 300K budget.

To Vidor/Orange you should head....
My name is Mark, I'm a "he", I am sorry you're offended by my honesty. Not everyone can be as progressive and perfect as you. I expect similar lectures from you towards anyone on here looking for a gay/black/Indian/Chinese etc. neighborhood. I have found things that seem to fit my criteria, thanks and God Bless.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
Chronicle has an article that can help you find your dream town! Good luck!

Questionnaire reveals Texas havens for Republicans, Democrats - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 AM

303 posts, read 366,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1988 View Post
Is it that difficult to find a more conservative area in the largest city in Texas? This is TEXAS.
The simple reality is that it is the 3rd largest city in the country. Diversity and multi-cultural go hand in hand with the largest cities in the country. And, to make you more uneasy about your opportunity to move to Houston, Harris County always votes blue.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM

130 posts, read 164,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
The simple reality is that it is the 3rd largest city in the country. Diversity and multi-cultural go hand in hand with the largest cities in the country. And, to make you more uneasy about your opportunity to move to Houston, Harris County always votes blue.
Thanks for that, however again like any place else people naturally branch off into enclaves, that's life. New York, LA, Chicago are all multiculti cesspools too but there are neighborhoods that are a bit more normal, not to mention suburbs. And great, yes it does..but Texas doesn't. Have a great day. I understand you're bitter because I have dares blaspheme the sacred gospel of progressive diversity and Caucasian self hatred, but you need to move on. Good day I won't be replying to you anymore.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM

483 posts, read 655,430 times
Try looking just outside the 610 loop in the neighborhood of Garden Oaks, you should be able to get a house there that is zoned to Garden Oaks elementary for 300k, but there aren't many so little patience goes along way. Stevens elementary seems to be changing for the better too, its the zone right beside Garden Oaks.
Also the area South of the loop, called Willowbend and then a few neighborhoods even further down 90/main. The schools are not what you are looking for(except Red elementary) but neighborhoods are nice and you can always do what many people in Houston do which is magnet, charter or private.
Both those areas above are 35-50% white with the rest being a spilt between Hispanic, black and occasionally Asian. But I have found that most of that comes from the apartments that are always around in Houston.
Its about as close to the DT as you can get for that budget and still be a nicer neighborhood.

I like to use the City Data Houston Demographics map. Its from 2010 but you can click on each area and it will show you a race, income and single family vs multi family break down of the area.

Me and husband are buying a house and want the exact same thing, we even have the same budget. Don't worry about posters who troll... apparently its okay for Asian or Indian cultures to want to live each other but not okay for a white family to not want to be zoned to a school that is 97% Hispanic and 90% low income and stick out on their block. If you want anymore detailed info please feel free to send me a PM.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times
I know! Like they can have MLK day or Cinco de Mayo but they get all riled up when we want to celebrate Jon Stewart day or Colbert day! So frustrating having a double standard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston