Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 24,451 times

Advertisements

Supply is pretty glutted right now, is it not? At least three new complexes in the Upper Kirby/Montrose that I've seen in my hunting, and looking on Craigslist it seems that almost every middle/upper-end complex in that area is running a promotion at the moment. How long will that last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 6,414 times
There's market rents and there's effective rents. Effective rents are after all concessions are applied. I don't see market rents dropping. Effective rents will vary throughout the year, however june-septemeber effective rents will be at their peaks. Management companies are currently willing to give concessions but not willing to drop their market rents which is why a lot management companies make you take that 1, 2 month free special up front instead of prorating it through out the lease term. Now there are a lot of companies that use price optimizing software (pricing that changes every day) and that is a whole different conversation.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 AM

4,338 posts, read 7,509,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
Rents should drop with all the new apartments opening
That depends on if there is a competitor next door right?

Old 04-17-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flikaint View Post
As someone who works in property management I can tell you for renewals expect a 2-6% increase. Lease renewals will almost always have some sort of increase. For new leases I can't see them decreasing, concessions come in waves, summer time has the highest demand/turn over so prices will be at the highest during the summer time.
I am looking to move in sometime in September.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
Property taxes skyrocketing this year do I'd expect further large increases this year

Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 PM

29 posts, read 45,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Property taxes skyrocketing this year do I'd expect further large increases this year
Exactly right!!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 22,616 times
OP, thanks for asking this question. I've been wondering about this, too...
Everyone who responded: As a renter, it's not the news I wanted to hear, but I sure appreciate your input. Helps to plan ahead. We had $$ saved for a down payment on a house, then I lost my oil & gas job in Jan...bye savings and hello renting for a few more years...

Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
As an earlier poster said, expect more properties to offer concessions (move-in specials etc.). This will be the principal effect for the time being. The rapid rent increases the market has experience over the last two or three years should pretty much end, except in locations that are just exceptionally popular or gentrifying (starting from a low base). It would take a really massive economic decline - a large net loss of jobs for the region - to have substantial rent decreases, even with all the new supply (which was needed just to match the job growth we've been having until now). So far, while the economy is definitely slowing a lot, it doesn't look like that kind of decline will happen.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:10 AM

2009 was a really a good year to rent as well as buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston