Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:12 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Advertisements

I'm already practicing drinking my own pee and eating animals I find around the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 11:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
The news will hype it up bigtime. Im surprised they are not on 24/7 currently. Frank Billingsley almost cried when Rita moved East and the reporters zoomed in on a can rolling down the street stating "the wind is really picking up"
Houston news stations love to make people freak out about the weather.
We may get some rain but this isn't going to be Ike imo.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,573,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The news will hype it up bigtime. Im surprised they are not on 24/7 currently. Frank Billingsley almost cried when Rita moved East and the reporters zoomed in on a can rolling down the street stating "the wind is really picking up"
Houston news stations love to make people freak out about the weather.
We may get some rain but this isn't going to be Ike imo.
I totally agree they are over hyping this by like 35% 8 inches of rain and 35mph to 40mph wind over a 24hr to 30hr period this is nothing that we can not handle Here in Houston. Now along the coast and 20mile inland should see 12 inches of rain and 50mph wind still not to bad.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Ha...

I remember the last hurricane we had, I was too lazy to board up my windows, and all. I did manage to move my lawn furniture in to the garage, but that was it, I spent the rest of the day watching all of my next door neighbors boarding up their windows, one with a 2 story house.

I recall all the hype, and they shutdown I10 inbound, so we were in evacuation mode and all lanes of I10 from Katy west were outbound only. I recall going over the overpass on Pederson Road to get a glimpse, and all you could see were bumper to bumper traffic, and all the red tail lights heading out. Some gave up and parked (and partied) on the feeder roads, or on the esplanades of I10, it was surreal.

So, nothing happened, and I put my lawn furniture back out and played with my kids... all my neighbors had left and had to come back and undo everything.

Then there was Allison before that; my wife (girlfriend at the time) were out of the country and came back the following week, we missed it, but it caused a lot of problems.

The point is... YES, the media hypes it, but you just never know. Just be prepared is all I can say. Maybe we can all go hang out at Pedro's house and have a BBQ. I'll bring some beer.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Ah, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. Nothing like celebrating with a storm. Hopefully the husband doesn't have to go into work and we can at least spend the day home together.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:46 PM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
Ike really messed up the area my parents live in.... we had large oaks that were uprooted and almost crushed part of the house... fencing damaged, roof of course damaged. Their airport had a hangar totally demolished by what we guessed was a tornado as neighboring hangars were fine. After seeing what could happen, I will probably be a little more gunshy!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:48 PM

672 posts, read 847,279 times
My wife's school has already shutdown the Summer School classes for the next 2 days! LOL

Old 06-15-2015, 12:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
@HookTheBrotherUp: I remember that last time too, I ignored the hype to leave. I remember exiting 59 South to 610 North, and when I got on 610 there were only about a dozen cars @ 11am!!!! I've never felt anything so surreal haha...I guess everyone was jammed onto 10 and 45

I didn't board anything up either, just went home and watched the melee on the various news stations. That was when the elderly evacuees died on the bus explosion near Dallas.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:59 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
The last one, was it Ike, Rita tore up my tiny neighborhood. Some streets did not have a blade of grass out of place. Two streets had old growth pines and oaks on top of houses. Three trees in my yard landed on my neighbor's roof. Two from the other side, too. We decided that the fences that blew down did not have the poles in the ground deep enough.

My son heard a noise. We discovered broken windows at our behind neighbor who had left town. We were boarding up their house in the middle of the night. Some helpers who had been drinking and playing poker all night came to help and did not understand why I stood at the foot of the ladder and would not let them up.

Y'all be sure to have at least one sober person in the hood.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:30 PM

61 posts, read 80,997 times
Non-local news reports, specifically NOAA seems to be increasing the storms strength on the hour. We actually might be dealing with something pretty significant. Hopefully people are taking it seriously, tomorrow morning could be a real mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston