Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which area would be best to live in?
Galleria area 9 20.93%
Oak Forest/Garden Oaks 10 23.26%
Spring Branch 9 20.93%
Meyerland 13 30.23%
Westbury/Willowbend 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 06:57 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
For westbury and meyerland - y'all never go to montrose or the galleria where all of the top restaurants are? These two areas are closest to these centers. Another reason I bought here. Stretches along i10 are strip malls and chains
Really, Spring Branch being an extra 2 minutes from the Galleria is so much worse? And its not all chains but some of the the best chains are there, and those strip malls contain most of anything you'd ever want to buy. For everyday living, I don't think you can beat the access to shopping/restaurants/amenities.

All of these areas are close to a lot of other things with a short drive, montrose and the galleria included. So wouldn't what sets your favorite apart be what's close at hand?

I also figured a $400k - $600k budget otherwise the comparisons become meaningless. For my $3M I'd buy in Tanglewood any day of the week and I don't care about public schools because the private school fees are less than my annual property tax bill !

Or if schools are important, why buy anywhere else other than Hilshire Village or Spring Valley? None of the other areas can compete with the schools - but you need $1M++ to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:33 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,990,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I voted for the Galleria arehttps://www.city-data.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=40164585a. I wasn't sure if the OP meant Spring Branch ISD which includes the Memorial neighborhoods, or just Spring Branch north of I-10. I would have voted for Memorial if listed, but I feel that the Galleria area packs in quite a punch, especially if Tanglewood is included.

Meyerland/Westbury/Willowbend have never done much for me. I don't appreciate the proximity to Southwest Houston, plus you have to worry about flooding, which would easily bring down the future market value.
I'd say Spring Branch due to Memorial being right there. Then the Galleria area. Traffic is just ridiculous in that area. Everywhere close to the Loop but the Galleria area is like that dumb loop on 45 where everyone is in the far right lane when they realize they need to be in the far LEFT to take the Allen Parkway and you still have jokers in park staring at the Aquarium like they've never seen a blue Ferris Wheel before

I'd argue the same bold about Oak Forest. Yes it's getting gentrified but those little shacks are right down the street. All those numbered streets 34th, 43rd, Crosstimbers, Ella, are Acres Homes right down the street, Northline Mall and it's residents right down the street who pretty much live two streets from a gentrified new construction, Pinemont and barrio in proximity to $600k max new homes. Pass!

Id say Spring Branch due to Memorial being right there.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM

581 posts, read 614,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I like oak forest but only if you buy a new build (very expensive). The way homeowners renovated those little homes are atrocious. - toured a home where you had to go through a pantry to laundry room to bathroom to get to a master bedroom and of course the dreaded converted garages
I have to call this one out... We live in "one of those renovated little homes" and the layout is outstanding and while small by modern standards (about 1600sqft), it's got a great floorplan and lot of usable space. There are plenty of nicely remodeled homes in the OF area, don't think it's McMansion or bust.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:58 AM

345 posts, read 809,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Meyerland blows the others away in schools. Its pretty easy to get anywhere.

Spring Branch is declining badly.
Can you elaborate on this declining?

Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Meyerland first.

Much of Spring Branch seems ok to me. A wave of younger generation folks are moving in, but the attitude is pretentious and "keep up with the Joneses." Basically what city people complain about suburban people: crank it up a notch. Just my experience. However I'd put SB over Westbury.

You can have the Galleria. I'm biased because I work there and that's where it stops for me.

I don't know enough about the north side to comment on GOOF, except the people I know who moved there paid too much, and take the attitude described above to an almost cringe-worthy level.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Regarding Spring Branch, it's a large area, you have to talk about what part of Spring Branch. South of Westview ease of Bunker Hill is already sky-high pricing (Memorial HS zoned, that's why). The areas closer to Long Point and west of Gessner (off Shadowdale etc.) are gentrifying after decades of being pooh-poohed. East of Gessner and north of Long Point, especially north of Neuens, a lot of folks will advise against that. People seem to consider Northbrook HS, and to some extent Spring Woods HS, some sort of value-killers.

That said, SB is overall very well-located in the region, with good access to lots of great stuff.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,321 times
Meyerland and Westbury made more sense to me because the schools were a lot better. There may not be as much within 5 minutes as Spring Branch, but the Galleria is 10 minutes away if it's not rush hour and Bellaire/West U shopping is great as well. I liked Spring Branch but I just couldn't get past the awful schools and was not optimistic about them changing. SBISD schools seem to be very good or very bad. Not a lot in between.

Parts of Oak Forest are zoned to OFE, which is a great school, but the homes have gotten to be over priced IMHO. You can get a 3/2 2,000 sqft home that's fully updated with a 2 car garage for less than a 2/1/1 with wood siding in Oak Forest.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Can you elaborate on this declining?
Spring Branch is really the area north of I-10 (Memorial, which is south of I-10 but in the Spring Branch ISD is a totally different issue). Outside the Memorial Villages, the neighborhoods are aging, crime is going up and its just in general decline.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM

52 posts, read 68,945 times
I'm happy with my home purchase in Spring Branch. North of I-10, pretty much right at Beltway. Easy access to N,S,E,W parts of the city. Zoned to Stratford HS. City Center and Memorial City have extensive growth plans over the next few years. Walking or riding distance to Addicks bike trail/Hershey Park. New Spring Branch Education Center breaking ground soon. Close to Bendwood Park. I have family in Galleria Area and can't stand it over there.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:06 PM

52 posts, read 68,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Spring Branch is really the area north of I-10 (Memorial, which is south of I-10 but in the Spring Branch ISD is a totally different issue). Outside the Memorial Villages, the neighborhoods are aging, crime is going up and its just in general decline.
Really? I count 15 luxury townhome projects within a mile of my house. And numerous million dollar homes going up in Spring Valley. Not sure where you're coming up with this. Even near Long Point, Hammerly and Kempwood, the area is seeing massive development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston