Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which area would be best to live in?
Galleria area 9 20.93%
Oak Forest/Garden Oaks 10 23.26%
Spring Branch 9 20.93%
Meyerland 13 30.23%
Westbury/Willowbend 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:20 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

1.Galleria, the actual Galleria area east of Voss, if you can afford private schools.
2. Spring Branch if you are at least zoned to a good elementary and not in an area known to flood. Definitely Spring Branch ISD if you are talking south of 1-10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 PM

309 posts, read 425,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
1.Galleria, the actual Galleria area east of Voss, if you can afford private schools.
2. Spring Branch if you are at least zoned to a good elementary and not in an area known to flood. Definitely Spring Branch ISD if you are talking south of 1-10.
Aren't the schools in the Tanglewood area pretty good? I don't know much about school districts, but I thought schools like Briargrove Elementary and TH Rogers were pretty highly rated? Are they not?

Old 06-25-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjj42 View Post
Aren't the schools in the Tanglewood area pretty good? I don't know much about school districts, but I thought schools like Briargrove Elementary and TH Rogers were pretty highly rated? Are they not?
TH Rodgers is one of those lottery vanguard/magnet schools. It's not a neighborhood school. Briargrove elem. is "ok." It was better years ago, much like most of HISD. The PTO is even losing steam, and they where huge boosters as early as 10 years ago.None of the sfh residents send their kids to Grady Middle nor Lee HS. Lamar and Westside are an option for Tanglewood residents, but they don't use those options.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:17 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
It's easily Galleria if you can afford it. Those homes off of Woodway or Memorial Dr. near I-10; they make you feel like you're in the Hamptons for a tiny stretch.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:23 PM

389 posts, read 596,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I like the proximity to city center, memorial city, the stores along the I-10, proximity to the Galleria shopping/restaurants/work.

Not sure what amenities as convenient to Oak Forest or Meyerland, I'm sure there's a bunch but is it the same breadth and quality as the western corridor?
Oak Forest/Garden Oaks does have proximity to all of the shops/restaurants in the Heights, but nothing like CityCentre/Memorial City. Although I suppose Uptown/Galleria area is not too far of a trek.

As for Meyerland, it's severely lacking in that department. Meyerland Plaza is nothing to write home about. Plus the 59 corridor leaves much to be desired, until you get out to Sugar Land. Nothing like the Katy Freeway. But it's not that far the from Galleria area and inner loop amenities.

But the nice thing about Spring Branch and Memorial is that it's beginning to stand on it's own against the Galleria area. The Memorial City/CityCentre areas are barely recognizable from what they were ten years ago.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post

But the nice thing about Spring Branch and Memorial is that it's beginning to stand on it's own against the Galleria area. The Memorial City/CityCentre areas are barely recognizable from what they were ten years ago.
Meh, not sure about standing on its own against, it's lacking high end retail.But Niemans left the Beltway way too soon. They would have done well in the remuddled CityCentre area. But in reality, I can be at the Galleria in 15 minutes, if it's not rush hour.

But I agree, the Katy freeway keeps its value from downtown to Fulshear and beyond.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:51 PM

345 posts, read 810,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I voted for the Galleria area. I wasn't sure if the OP meant Spring Branch ISD which includes the Memorial neighborhoods, or just Spring Branch north of I-10. I would have voted for Memorial if listed, but I feel that the Galleria area packs in quite a punch, especially if Tanglewood is included.

Meyerland/Westbury/Willowbend have never done much for me. I don't appreciate the proximity to Southwest Houston, plus you have to worry about flooding, which would easily bring down the future market value.
For the record, I meant north of I-10, otherwise I would have just called south of it as memorial village area

Old 06-25-2015, 04:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
For westbury and meyerland - y'all never go to montrose or the galleria where all of the top restaurants are? These two areas are closest to these centers. Another reason I bought here. Stretches along i10 are strip malls and chains

Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
For westbury and meyerland - y'all never go to montrose or the galleria where all of the top restaurants are? These two areas are closest to these centers. Another reason I bought here. Stretches along i10 are strip malls and chains
Yes I forget there are no strip mall near Westbury and Meyerland. Especially not on Chimney Rock,Braeswood,and Hillcroft. It's all very upscale.

Strip Malls and chains are everywhere. Even on Post Oak and in Montrose.

To the OP, chose an area that doesn't flood, closest to your work ,with a good elementary and an ok middle school. Anything just outside the loop on the West or SW should work. I Agree with Chris UT about Oak Forest, not many bargains left in the Oak Forst area.Your personal opinions of each area will vary.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-25-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 11:14 PM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Meyerland blows the others away in schools. Its pretty easy to get anywhere.

Spring Branch is declining badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston