Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 PM

702 posts, read 1,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
If you want an authentic Chinatown, then it has to look different, and well, cheap. I have not been to any Chinatown, including San Francisco's, and saw anything 'modern'. If you were to replace all the people from the Woodlands Market Square businesses and replace just the people with Asians, would it be Chinatown? That was rhetorical of course, but you get my point.
This needs to be quoted again for ignorance. Yes, it would be Chinatown if you replaced all the people in Woodlands Market Square to Asians.

What defines China town? It's the part of town where the majority of Chinese citizens have businesses. Like how there's a Korea town etc. The location or condition of the buildings isn't important. I take it you've never been to Asia. Japan, China, Korea etc have many cities that are beautiful and modern.

Perpetuating that the area has to look cheap is stereotyping and I'm not even going to jump into that hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 09:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Thank god they widened Bellaire!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
This needs to be quoted again for ignorance. Yes, it would be Chinatown if you replaced all the people in Woodlands Market Square to Asians.

What defines China town? It's the part of town where the majority of Chinese citizens have businesses. Like how there's a Korea town etc. The location or condition of the buildings isn't important. I take it you've never been to Asia. Japan, China, Korea etc have many cities that are beautiful and modern.

Perpetuating that the area has to look cheap is stereotyping and I'm not even going to jump into that hole.
Well, let's see... I've been to Beijing, Hong Kong, Nakita, Indonesia, all countries of Western and most of Eastern Europe, all of the UK (including Northern Ireland), all of Scandanavia, Australia, Hawaiian Islands, Guam, Micronesian Islands, Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina, Mexico, Icleland, Canada, Oman, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain, and of course 40 US states and major cities, and the District of Colombia. I have seen a 'China Town', or two, even in El Paso.

BTW, pay attention to the thread. We are talking about a 'China Town' in the context of an area, neighborhood, or district, not a country.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 11-04-2015 at 09:27 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Well, let's see... I've been to Beijing, Hong Kong, Nakita, Indonesia, all countries of Western and most of Eastern Europe, all of the UK (including Northern Ireland), all of Scandanavia, Australia, Hawaiian Islands, Guam, Micronesian Islands, Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina, Mexico, Icleland, Canada, Oman, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain, and of course 40 US states and major cities, and the District of Colombia. I have seen a 'China Town', or two, even in El Paso.
Your first post you said you have not been to any China towns. Now you're saying you have been to many? You can't even get your own story straight. Secondly, if you have been to Asia, are you telling me Tokyo or any major cities looks completely run down? That's the point you were trying to make. Would you like to defend your claim?

Quote:
I have not been to any Chinatown

Old 11-04-2015, 09:30 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default You can do better

It is creepy to quote one's self, but what I said was "I have not been to any Chinatown, including San Francisco's, and saw anything 'modern'".

Please include the whole sentence if you are going to try to make a point.

And again, we are not talking about countries, or cities. Do you know what most people refer to when they mention 'Chinatown'? Hint, it is not a city anywhere in this world that I know of.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
It is creepy to quote one's self, but what I said was "I have not been to any Chinatown, including San Francisco's, and saw anything 'modern'".

Please include the whole sentence if you are going to try to make a point.

And again, we are not talking about countries, or cities. Do you know what most people refer to when they mention 'Chinatown'? Hint, it is not a city anywhere in this world that I know of.
I apologize, I understand the context of your sentence now. You are saying you have never seen anything modern in any Chinatown, including San Francisco. You also said that a Chinatown has to look cheap, which I respectfully disagree with.

Define your definition of modern?

The new road looks modern to me. The shopping center of Viet Hoa and HK4 is modern to me. There are a couple of banks with buildings that look modern to me. The new traffic lights and street signs look modern to me. Perhaps my standards are too low and I need to adopt a higher standard. Chinatown is no where as nice as some of their counterparts in Asia, but it's a huge step up compared to some cities I've been to like Fayetteville, NC.

Last edited by huma281; 11-04-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 11-04-2015, 11:30 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
I apologize, I understand the context of your sentence now. You are saying you have never seen anything modern in any Chinatown, including San Francisco. You also said that a Chinatown has to look cheap, which I respectfully disagree with.

Define your definition of modern?

The new road looks modern to me. The shopping center of Viet Hoa and HK4 is modern to me. There are a couple of banks with buildings that look modern to me. The new traffic lights and street signs look modern to me. Perhaps my standards are too low and I need to adopt a higher standard. Chinatown is no where as nice as some of their counterparts in Asia, but it's a huge step up compared to some cities I've been to like Fayetteville, NC.
Dude. Stereotype or not, it comes out true. Chinatowns all over the world end up being cheap. Cheap building. Cheap renovations. Architecturally nice but other than that cheap

Old 11-05-2015, 08:34 AM

167 posts, read 248,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Dude. Stereotype or not, it comes out true. Chinatowns all over the world end up being cheap. Cheap building. Cheap renovations. Architecturally nice but other than that cheap
Obviously you've never visited cities like Hangzhou or Shenzhen or Shanghai, you know Chinatowns. Those cities make the "modern" US cities appear ancient and broken down.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:29 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
Obviously you've never visited cities like Hangzhou or Shenzhen or Shanghai, you know Chinatowns. Those cities make the "modern" US cities appear ancient and broken down.
These cities are in China. A Chinatown is a city outside of China with a concentration of Chinese businesses and/or Chinese residents. Chinatowns are generally cheap.

Now cities in China such as Shanghai are super modern. But that's outside of the discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 12:44 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
These cities are in China. A Chinatown is a city outside of China with a concentration of Chinese businesses and/or Chinese residents. Chinatowns are generally cheap.

Now cities in China such as Shanghai are super modern. But that's outside of the discussion
Most Chinatowns are generally in downtown and old, that is why most of them looks old and worn down.

However, there are lots of Chinatown in North America that are very nice, which you probably never seen before.

Some of the Chinatowns in Los Angeles, like some of the newer developments in Monterey Park, will blow you away. I have not even mention Vanacour yet.

Even the newest shopping center here in Houston, the one next to First Asian National Bank, are very nice and comes with ample parking and modern with escalator and everything.

I read they just broke ground on a 170 acre development in Missouri City of a new Chinatown. It will be quite massive and is right by Austin Parkway and Hwy 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston