Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 01:37 PM

558 posts, read 386,578 times

Advertisements

Now...I hear things about Houston that make me think twice.

What is the rate of crime in Houston. Has anyone been a victim of a crime?

I've live in NYC all my life and never had a crime committed against me.

I here since those folks from New Orleans migrated to Houston, the crime has
gone up dramatically. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
mardi gras with guns?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM

23 posts, read 23,243 times
I have lived in Houston for 12 years the answer is yes! and if anyone notices when most of them moved out of the city of houston the stats followed them! In fact if you call any police precinct here they will tell you of the numerous fights initiated by them they claim mostly due to lack of counseling after Katrina.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:42 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,589,840 times
Areas with the most crime
1. South West area Apartments a long Fondren between West Airport & Brasewood & West Bellfort Just west of Hillcroft to Gessner.
2. is a tie 3rd ward & 5th ward
3. Hirman clark

In the last few months police have been making bing strides in Hirman Clark they have cut crime by 50%

Old 02-09-2008, 04:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,586,903 times
You mean Hiram Clarke....? You can buy a house for ~$50K over there...

I wouldn't let crime be any more of a concern than it would be in NYC. Both cities have good spots and bad spots. I really don't see Katrina being much of a factor anymore. Not saying there isn't anyone from NOLA here, but a lot more of the murder victims in the SW area (where a great deal of murders in Houston happen) seem to be Hispanic immigrants killed (allegedly) by "coyotes" or shady people immigrants pay to smuggle them across the border. Some cities can be easily explained by having one general good half (or so) of town and then the rest not so good. It's complicated here. It's more like a checkerboard. For instance, you have Bellaire and its huge >$300K houses and just down the street is Gulfton, a (mostly) Latin immigrant community of run-down apartments. Just a couple miles north is Uptown and a bunch of expensive condos, with the Galleria just around the corner. Then if you go south or west it's more decayed apartments and malls and strip centers all the way down Highway 59 until you get to Sugar Land where a lot of people pay good money to live in a place they think of as safe. It might be confusing, but you will learn where to be and where not to be.

Generally, there isn't a whole lot to see in the highest-crime parts of the city. Unless you want some Timmy Chan's or some non-franchise Frenchy's

Do a search (on city-data forums) for "crime houston" or something like that and you will read a lot of threads on the subject.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,723,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
...Generally, there isn't a whole lot to see in the highest-crime parts of the city. Unless you want some Timmy Chan's...

Well that right there makes it worth stopping by the hood for some of that Kung Pao & rice. Esp when you know your weekend is gonna be busy; stop by on Friday after work and $10 will hook you up phat. That is, $8.50 for the food, and $1.50 for a roll of Tums. You never know if they're gonna throw in a handful of dried habaneros.

Can't beat their grease-dunked dinner rolls, either.

Might try their "Shrimps" next time.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Well that right there makes it worth stopping by the hood for some of that Kung Pao & rice. Esp when you know your weekend is gonna be busy; stop by on Friday after work and $10 will hook you up phat. That is, $8.50 for the food, and $1.50 for a roll of Tums. You never know if they're gonna throw in a handful of dried habaneros.

Can't beat their grease-dunked dinner rolls, either.

Might try their "Shrimps" next time.
You went to the one on Main near Reliant that isn't there anymore?

Now you've really gotta go into the hood for Timmy. Bellfort@Fondren and Bissonnet@59, Antoine@Tidwell, Scott@Griggs, MLK Blvd...

Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You went to the one on Main near Reliant that isn't there anymore?

Now you've really gotta go into the hood for Timmy. Bellfort@Fondren and Bissonnet@59, Antoine@Tidwell, Scott@Griggs, MLK Blvd...

I used to go to that one on Main when I lived in TMC. I discovered it shut down when I was out in that area a couple months ago.

Nowadays I hit the one that's on MLK @ 610. I pass by it every day on the drive home. Unfortunately I don't think they're going to put one in Clear Lake anytime soon.

Now the one on Bissonnet/59 -- they used to put your styrofoam food container and change in a sliding metal tray to get it to you at the drive-thru, after you put in your cash. The window appeared to be either tempered or bulletproof glass and they spoke to you with a microphone.

Of course they both keep it real by accepting cash only. That's ok because usually there's an Ace or Mister-Payroll check cashing place within walking distance.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 AM

558 posts, read 386,578 times
You guys sound like a bunch of kids making fun of the "hood"> I bet you wouldn't joke like that with anyone in the "hood", because you would likely end up in a hospital if not the morge.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of kids making fun of the "hood"> I bet you wouldn't joke like that with anyone in the "hood", because you would likely end up in a hospital if not the morge.

Cool your jets, wey. Those areas jfre mentioned are the hood, period. I've worked with and still keep in touch with a few fellas out there (South Park & Sunnyside) who will tell you the same thing with pride. That + Timmy Chan + the string of junkyards (south side) for my car project are the only 3 things I go out there for. (I stopped getting gas due to begging/panhandling.)

Anyway, what ''jokes'' are you talking about? You sound like you don't want to accept what we've said. What are you gonna do, send us to the hospital or morgue for telling the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: