Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM

79 posts, read 108,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
For public transport to downtown, look at the areas served by METRO Park and Ride buses. Since you're not looking for great schools at this point it makes your search easier as well. Even better if you're close to other major employment areas (mostly along 610 West Loop, Beltway 8 West and I-10 West) and have a car.

You should be able to find what you're looking for along 290 in Northwest Houston. The closest Park and Rides are at W. Little York Dr. and West Rd. This corresponds to the area north of 290 outside Beltway 8 in older neighborhoods such as Steeplechase, Winchester, and Harvest Bend. Just your ordinary suburbs, lots of empty nesters as well as young Hispanic families. Those areas tend to have some 2-3 bedroom homes in your budget, if you can snap them up. $1400 will open you up to many more options, or get an apartment in a newer complex along the Beltway for even more options. Do you have pets?
Thanks! It's looking like we will have to up our budget a bit. $1,400 wouldn't be bad, considering the cost of living adjustment and end to state taxes, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
For public transport to downtown, look at the areas served by METRO Park and Ride buses. Since you're not looking for great schools at this point it makes your search easier as well. Even better if you're close to other major employment areas (mostly along 610 West Loop, Beltway 8 West and I-10 West) and have a car.

You should be able to find what you're looking for along 290 in Northwest Houston. The closest Park and Rides are at W. Little York Dr. and West Rd. This corresponds to the area north of 290 outside Beltway 8 in older neighborhoods such as Steeplechase, Winchester, and Harvest Bend. Just your ordinary suburbs, lots of empty nesters as well as young Hispanic families. Those areas tend to have some 2-3 bedroom homes in your budget, if you can snap them up. $1400 will open you up to many more options, or get an apartment in a newer complex along the Beltway for even more options. Do you have pets?

Ok, great! This is good info. I will definitely look into these locations., And yes, we have 4 cats which is why a single family detached is most desirable.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:09 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Commercial real estate - you could be working anywhere in a huge geographical area. Better to get the job lined up first and then the rental, once you see where you will be working.

4 cats is going to be difficult in an apartment. It may have to be a small house. Before we can tell you where to look (on a $1400 budget), we will need to know what area the job is located.

Texdemo is correct in that our public transportation is poor - we are car centric here.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,811 times
Harris county only allows you to have 3 animals. Good luck renting with 4.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
Harris county only allows you to have 3 animals. Good luck renting with 4.

Based on my research, Harris County is to be avoided at all costs. Is that incorrect? Most people say it's the worse county to live in anyway.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Commercial real estate - you could be working anywhere in a huge geographical area. Better to get the job lined up first and then the rental, once you see where you will be working.

4 cats is going to be difficult in an apartment. It may have to be a small house. Before we can tell you where to look (on a $1400 budget), we will need to know what area the job is located.

Texdemo is correct in that our public transportation is poor - we are car centric here.
Most of the jobs I have applied for are in downtown Houston. The major companies are CBRE, Jones Lang LaSalle, etc. and the big ones seem to only have management contracts in Houston. I was doing some more research today and came across areas such as West University Place, Montrose, and Bellaire (Which I think still fall in Harris County?). What's the consensus on these areas? Seems like the commute would be a breeze.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Also, what about the Missouri City area?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Based on my research, Harris County is to be avoided at all costs. Is that incorrect? Most people say it's the worse county to live in anyway.
Houston is in Harris County. Why should it be avoided? I have lived in Harris county most of my life and I find it very nice. If you are moving to Houston most likely you will live in Harris county.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:02 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise82 View Post
Most of the jobs I have applied for are in downtown Houston. The major companies are CBRE, Jones Lang LaSalle, etc. and the big ones seem to only have management contracts in Houston. I was doing some more research today and came across areas such as West University Place, Montrose, and Bellaire (Which I think still fall in Harris County?). What's the consensus on these areas? Seems like the commute would be a breeze.
Those areas are very expensive

Old 06-01-2016, 04:46 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Houston is within Harris County, as are the very small "villages" you mentioned. Harris County unincorporated area would be among the largest cities in the USA were it incorporated. IIRC, the 6th largest. It will be hard to avoid.

The areas you mention are high dollar and do not meet your budget. The commute would be a breeze.

The taxing agencies make up for the no state income tax with property and sales taxes.

Get a job before you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston