Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:00 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times

Advertisements

Sharpstown 69 has a lot of traffic 610 to downtown in the morning that could add 10 to 25 min to your trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
And I disagree completely as well. You're advocating taking Main from 610 all the way to downtown, with all those lights ? Absolutely nothing in Sharpstown competes with that access? the southwest freeway literally runs right through sharpstown and access is very easy and takes you straight to downtown. Access to downtown is even easier if you're on the HOV/toll lane and there's an entrance inside the neighborhood at the hillcroft transit center. I guarantee that I'll make it to downtown during rushhour while you're still at a red light on main.

Let's not even get to Westbury since highway access is even poorer. You need a map brotha.
I work downtown 2-3x a week. It takes 20 minutes with traffic. I can be in the Medical Center in 10 minutes. I can be in the Galleria area in 5-7 minutes.

You cannot do that from Sharpstown.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:43 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
And I disagree completely as well. You're advocating taking Main from 610 all the way to downtown, with all those lights ? Absolutely nothing in Sharpstown competes with that access? the southwest freeway literally runs right through sharpstown and access is very easy and takes you straight to downtown. Access to downtown is even easier if you're on the HOV/toll lane and there's an entrance inside the neighborhood at the hillcroft transit center. I guarantee that I'll make it to downtown during rushhour while you're still at a red light on main.

Let's not even get to Westbury since highway access is even poorer. You need a map brotha.
You need experience in the neighborhoods you are discussing, not just a map. Willowbend is much easier. Westbury is easier too than most of Sharpstown. Its pretty easy to get to 610. Bellfort, Willowbend, Braeswood, Hillcroft and Chimney Rock are just not as congested as the streets in the Sharpstown area. And 610 (W or S) moves faster than 59, especially in the afternoon.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:24 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
I hate to get in the middle of this little argument but I actually travel from the Galleria area to both Sharpstown and the Willowbend area. I believe some of these times may be a bit biased but obviously it is all anecdotal.
The two places I go to with grueling regularity are the Bellerive Ice Center in Sharpstown not too far from the PlazAmericas and the Houston Express Soccer Club which normally practices at the complex off Stella Link by the Emery Weiner school.
Going from Westheimer\Sage area to Stella Link\610 to play soccer at Houston Express is never faster than going to Bellerive (sharpstown) ice center to play hockey. And I have never gotten to Stella Link in 7 minutes...never. This is usually in the early evening after work.

I am not picking one location over the other, I really don't care. Its just I have a hard time believing some of these times since I make these trips 3 times or more each week.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I hate to get in the middle of this little argument but I actually travel from the Galleria area to both Sharpstown and the Willowbend area. I believe some of these times may be a bit biased but obviously it is all anecdotal.
The two places I go to with grueling regularity are the Bellerive Ice Center in Sharpstown not too far from the PlazAmericas and the Houston Express Soccer Club which normally practices at the complex off Stella Link by the Emery Weiner school.
Going from Westheimer\Sage area to Stella Link\610 to play soccer at Houston Express is never faster than going to Bellerive (sharpstown) ice center to play hockey. And I have never gotten to Stella Link in 7 minutes...never. This is usually in the early evening after work.

I am not picking one location over the other, I really don't care. Its just I have a hard time believing some of these times since I make these trips 3 times or more each week.
If you look at a map, you would see that where you are traveling from is geographically closer to your ice rink than to Stella Link and 610. You really didn't prove anything. Its like saying it takes less time to get from Spring to The Woodlands than Spring to Downtown.

I travel from S. Post Oak and 610 to the Galleria and it takes 5 minutes to the Westheimer Exit or 10 with traffic. Going downtown on Main, it takes 20 minutes. Medical Center is 10 minutes. Greenway is 10 Minutes on Highway or 15 minutes using Stella Link. Midtown is 20 minutes. These times include light to moderate traffic.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Really? Come on man that is not even a close example. We are talking a mile and a half difference.
Yes you posted your times repeatedly. I can read. And yes, I did prove that I can get to Sharpstown faster than Willowbend which you said couldn't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You really didn't prove anything. Its like saying it takes less time to get from Spring to The Woodlands than Spring to Downtown.

I travel from S. Post Oak and 610 to the Galleria and it takes 5 minutes to the Westheimer Exit or 10 with traffic. Going downtown on Main, it takes 20 minutes. Medical Center is 10 minutes. Greenway is 10 Minutes on Highway or 15 minutes using Stella Link. Midtown is 20 minutes. These times include light to moderate traffic.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:13 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I work downtown 2-3x a week. It takes 20 minutes with traffic. I can be in the Medical Center in 10 minutes. I can be in the Galleria area in 5-7 minutes.

You cannot do that from Sharpstown.
Perhaps you can be in the medical center in 10 minutes but there's no way you'll be downtown in 20 during rush hour. Stop lying to yourself. Sharpstown is doable in that time frame because of the hov/toll lane on 59 though I do concede without this feature, getting downtown would take just as long as from willobend.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:22 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Right now I'm picturing you guys dueling viciously with those little tiny plastic swords they put in drinks.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can be in the medical center in 10 minutes but there's no way you'll be downtown in 20 during rush hour. Stop lying to yourself. Sharpstown is doable in that time frame because of the hov/toll lane on 59 though I do concede without this feature, getting downtown would take just as long as from willobend.
I do it three times a week. You don't do it at all.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM

I literally just googled the times between various points in Houston between Willowbend and Sharpstown. Here are the results. The reference points are Sharpstown Mall and Post Oak and Willowbend per neighborhood:

Downtown Houston:
Willowbend: 18 Minutes/11 Miles
Sharpstown: 26 Minutes/12.5 Miles

Galleria:
Willowbend: 10 Minutes/5.8 Miles
Sharpstown: 14 Minutes/5.7 Miles

Medical Center:
Willowbend: 11 Minutes/5.4 Miles
Sharpstown: 26 Minutes/9.4 Miles

Midtown Houston:
Willowbend: 14 Minutes/10.1 Miles
Sharpstown: 21 Minutes/10.3 Miles

George Bush Airport:
Willowbend: 37 Minutes/30 Miles
Sharpstown: 40 Minutes/37 Miles

Please tell me how Sharpstown is more central and has a better location again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston