Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:30 PM

160 posts, read 159,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
I have a hard time taking anyone serious inquiring about work who fails to give targeted areas, specialization, skills, or past experience... you know, things that really matter.

Instead we have someone asking if the field is "diverse."

Houston is a functional city, meaning if you keep your head down and work your ass off, no one cares if you are purple with yellow stripes.

Advise you to change your mindset and demonstrate how you could provide a valuable service or skill to a potential employer. If you cannot do that, Houston probably isn't for you.
Purple with yellow stripes? Honestly, that would bother me.

I see "diversity" is an inflammatory word in Texas. Maybe I shouldn't have said I was black sense so many people seem to think black people want special treatment nowadays. We aren't all the same, man. Okay, forget the black thing. I'm purple with yellow stripes. Are you less infuriated now? I mean no one wants to subject you to being around too many colourful people. I assure you I'm different from the other "colored" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Diversity is not an inflammatory word in this part of Texas. I can assure you that. You have nothing to worry about, but as mentioned the oil sector has made it tough on some folks.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Diversity is not an inflammatory word in this part of Texas. I can assure you that. You have nothing to worry about, but as mentioned the oil sector has made it tough on some folks.
Thank you for a sound response. I appreciate it.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM

184 posts, read 314,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Purple with yellow stripes? Honestly, that would bother me.

I see "diversity" is an inflammatory word in Texas. Maybe I shouldn't have said I was black sense so many people seem to think black people want special treatment nowadays. We aren't all the same, man. Okay, forget the black thing. I'm purple with yellow stripes. Are you less infuriated now? I mean no one wants to subject you to being around too many colourful people. I assure you I'm different from the other "colored" people.
No one cares what color you are. Do your job sames as the guy next to you. Your post reads like a petulant child's rant. As other posters have said, speak to your qualifications and what areas you are looking for. You'll get the advice you seek.
What difference does it make if you work in an office with people of different skin tone?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_tx View Post
No one cares what color you are. Do your job sames as the guy next to you. Your post reads like a petulant child's rant. As other posters have said, speak to your qualifications and what areas you are looking for. You'll get the advice you seek.
What difference does it make if you work in an office with people of different skin tone?
Let's stay on topic. And it kinda matters to those of us with experience. Work isn't just about doing your job these days. Companies like to hire "good fits". I'm experienced enough to know what that means. And from my experience, diverse workplaces are better.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Yeah, it's diverse, but that should be the least of your concerns. The field is stinking up right now. Recruiters are terrible about finding the right people. They're just looking to throw bodies somewhere in order to get a paycheck.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Yeah, it's diverse, but that should be the least of your concerns. The field is stinking up right now. Recruiters are terrible about finding the right people. They're just looking to throw bodies somewhere in order to get a paycheck.
That's seems like an epidemic in the IT field. Tech guys being treated like day laborers.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
Unfortunately this is a reality sometimes. I have seen well qualified people overlooked because they were not a "good fit". I admit I have no idea what the criteria was but I think the individual didn't win the best dressed award. Gee an engineer who dresses like a dork....that's a first! I walked out of that meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNashville View Post
Let's stay on topic. And it kinda matters to those of us with experience. Work isn't just about doing your job these days. Companies like to hire "good fits". I'm experienced enough to know what that means. And from my experience, diverse workplaces are better.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:40 AM

455 posts, read 525,549 times
My advice: move to Houston for the low cost of living and beautiful weather and beaches. But work remotely for clients who pay a lot more than the companies here. It's worked out well for me except for the weather and beaches.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:46 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,220 times
Meanwhile I'm over here thinking "Why can't we find good IT people to hire?" Seriously, some of the interviews we've had in the last 12 months have been atrocious. I'll get a pile of 100+ resumes across the desk and maybe 3-4 candidates will come out of them. There are times we throw away the entire pile after phone screens and resume screens. It's really frustrating on the hiring side of things, even with recruiters trying to weed out the weak ones. I'm not sure what the expectations of former O&G people are, but I can tell you that a large majority of those we interviewed coming out of the O&G sector aren't in touch with reality outside of that sector.

Luckily I've managed to make some killer hires this year and our group is stronger than ever but it took a LOT of recruiting and interviewing to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: