Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,961,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Thanks!

As backup, should I also consider charter schools? I'm trying to keep as many options open .
Charter schools generally pay less and have longer hours. Most of the people I know who taught in charter schools were pretty anxious to get out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,078,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Charter schools generally pay less and have longer hours. Most of the people I know who taught in charter schools were pretty anxious to get out of them.
(Bleep) . I noticed that too that charter schools pay less than HISD or Cy-Fair and the like...hopefully I can get in with a higher-paying public school district. Or if not, maybe a charter school would give me a short-term contract until the end of this school year in May...? Guess it wouldn't hurt to try, if need be. But, I'll aim for HISD or one of the surrounding districts.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:29 PM

188 posts, read 255,412 times
Quote:
Thanks, Wes!

I'll keep applying and stay consistent. I'm also on the lookout for temp teacher positions in smaller cities outside of Houston.

That's good that it's rare to get laid-off within schools. I'm assuming Texas doesn't offer any form of tenure to teachers? (Based on research, I think the answer is no, but if there was, that'd be great long-term)
There is not a tenure, but in most schools you don't need it. Texas is really laid back as far as the top down managerial approach. In my 23 years, I have had one principal who was "hands on" and that was at a school for gifted students, so the pressure to pass state tests was brutal. Most principals hand you the ball and trust you will run the right way.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:32 PM

HISD runs charter schools and they should be at the same pay scale. Private schools are nice to teach in, if you like to slowly starve to death... :-)

Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
Private schools are nice to teach in, if you like to slowly starve to death... :-)
Lol, not looking to slowly starve. I take it teachers like private schools since it's less classroom management (albeit with lower pay?)

Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Lol, not looking to slowly starve. I take it teachers like private schools since it's less classroom management (albeit with lower pay?)
That is some of it. They may also get a price break on their little heathens. And some do it because they areretired teachers who are getting retirement from TRS and also getting paid & paying into SSA credits.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 47,326 times
Harmony Schools are starting to hire now for next year. They are trying to get a head start over the other public schools. Though, they pay substantially less than the larger districts.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the additional replies! :-)

Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional replies! :-)

A good place to find out what you are getting into at the school you are interviewing with. Texas Education Agency rates all public schools in Texas each year. It can also be a good thing to go into the interview telling them what their scores look like. Makes it look like you are not just slinging spaghetti.

TEA announces 2016-2017 accreditation statuses

Old 02-18-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
A good place to find out what you are getting into at the school you are interviewing with. Texas Education Agency rates all public schools in Texas each year. It can also be a good thing to go into the interview telling them what their scores look like. Makes it look like you are not just slinging spaghetti.

TEA announces 2016-2017 accreditation statuses
Thanks! Should I also take into consideration scores from the website "greatschools"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston