Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
Thanks! Should I also take into consideration scores from the website "greatschools"?
Those are ok, but not the best of the ratings.

Try Niche:
https://www.niche.com/k12/rankings/p...on-metro-area/

and Children at Risk
School Rankings | CHILDREN AT RISK

For High schools look at those and also look at the US News and World Report
Top Texas High Schools | Best High Schools in Texas | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 01:06 PM

188 posts, read 253,633 times
Quote:
Thanks! Should I also take into consideration scores from the website "greatschools"?
you can, but your continued employment will be based on how TEA feels about it. :-) Gradeschool really just takes those score and (I think) what parents think about the school. Get a few parents that are pissed off about something we cannot control, and the score drops.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:09 PM

I have worked in schools other people would gasp a driving by, and loved almost every minute. If the principal and your fellow teachers have your back, it can be great. I have also been in gifted and talented magnet schools that I hated, because I felt left out in the open.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,075,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
I have worked in schools other people would gasp a driving by, and loved almost every minute. If the principal and your fellow teachers have your back, it can be great. I have also been in gifted and talented magnet schools that I hated, because I felt left out in the open.
Good point! I interviewed with a charter school and the women who interviewed me seemed down-to-earth and like they'd be good to work with, from an admin level at least. That's neat that you enjoyed working in those schools!

Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM

I have never taught in a so called purely safe, suburban, "Hostess Twinkies" kinda school. Even the magnet school I was at was in a heavy minority, HISD environment. And I taught behavior kids.
Now, I am retiring from Texas, moving to Arkansas to teach there for a couple of years. I can guarantee that I will be placed in a rough school, once they see my resume. I am cool with that. Not sure I could teach kids that are on grade level and did not act up...

Good luck to you.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:12 PM

And I'm guessing there aren't any "teacher staffing agencies" in Houston? I know for corporate and blue collar work there is, but I'm guessing I just will need to manually apply at various districts and schools until something comes along. :-)

Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
And I'm guessing there aren't any "teacher staffing agencies" in Houston? I know for corporate and blue collar work there is, but I'm guessing I just will need to manually apply at various districts and schools until something comes along. :-)
Correct. No head-hunters for teaching positions.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
(Bleep) . Oh well

Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I ended up finding an agency which recruited for subs, but it was kinda the "fend for yourselves" approach, where when a job comes along they post it on their website and the first to claim it, gets it. So it wasn't like I thought, where they'd place you in a school as a long-term sub. (sigh)

Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 PM

218 posts, read 220,572 times
I've been teaching in Texas for 8 years now. I've worked with Mission CISD, Cy-Fair ISD, Houston ISD, and now Alief ISD. I think you are over thinking this whole thing. Its not that complicated. Just apply online at whichever districts you want. When they call you, go to the interview and sell yourself. Starting pay in Houston averages around 50 grand a year.

About certification. If you feel confident, just take the PPR. I passed it the first time. It's basically a reading test. Those are easy. Then take whichever content you are going to take. If you don't feel confident, then go alt. cert. Districts need teachers.

Also, in these programs you can learn some good things that are related to teaching, but to be brutally honest, the average person really doesn't start getting anything resembling good at teaching until a few years into the profession. Most people don't even make it past the first year. A good rule of thumb in the profession is 3 years and then we know you will last. Until then you are new.

Just apply, its really not that hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston