Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:33 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
Worst: Getting to the freeway if you live in the back of the Woodlands.
Having the upper middle class yuppies tailgating you trying to "get ahead" (kinda like Calif). As a matter of fact it is like most Ca burbs only with lots of trees

Best: Lots of parks & walking trails
Great access to lots of retail/shopping
Master planned and well laid out with preservation of trees
Close to Lake Conroe if you have a boat.
Close to Houston to visit museums/sporting events as long as you don't have to commute there to work everyday.
Safe neighborhoods
Good schools
Now, Now, not all of California, not most of California, is stereotypical SOUTHERN California....clearly those psychopathic drivers are in a world, and should be in a world, of their very own...and having to endure two years there 1980/1982, they can HAVE their tinseltown!! I as a native No Calif, from the wine country, was not impressed!! Might as well be a different state
(That was an option, awhile back, FYI, but the whole WATER thing got in the way...) Also, though slightly off topic, not all CA natives are liberal, democratic, left wing activates. Unfortunately, the media loves to play kissey face with those creeps.
PS LakeConroe resident--not a blast to you in any way--you are terrific--just wanted to set some stereotypes straight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:50 AM

410 posts, read 1,682,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Now, Now, not all of California, not most of California, is stereotypical SOUTHERN California....clearly those psychopathic drivers are in a world, and should be in a world, of their very own...and having to endure two years there 1980/1982, they can HAVE their tinseltown!! I as a native No Calif, from the wine country, was not impressed!! Might as well be a different state
(That was an option, awhile back, FYI, but the whole WATER thing got in the way...) Also, though slightly off topic, not all CA natives are liberal, democratic, left wing activates. Unfortunately, the media loves to play kissey face with those creeps.
PS LakeConroe resident--not a blast to you in any way--you are terrific--just wanted to set some stereotypes straight!!
I don't know Daisy...last few trips out to the San Ramon Valley (Danville, Walnut Creek,Dublin areas)to vist my brother...noticed a lot of the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality going on. Sure is a far cry from growing up there in the &70's...when people were mellow and driving a banged up V-dub was cool!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I don't know Daisy...last few trips out to the San Ramon Valley (Danville, Walnut Creek,Dublin areas)to vist my brother...noticed a lot of the "keeping up with the Jones" mentality going on. Sure is a far cry from growing up there in the &70's...when people were mellow and driving a banged up V-dub was cool!!!
Sunny57--oh yeah, no doubt about the Jones' mentality! Were you ever in Sebastopol or Healdsburg in the '70's??? Rural farmers, "cowboys", now they are quintessential yuppie havens..who would have thought?
...waaaay different from the '70's like you said (nostalgic sigh...)

Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
Quote:
Yes I know, I have family in Nor Ca also and have visited many times though I do the think the burbs of Sac are similar (Folsom, Roseville etc...) Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, Tahoe etc are very nice and that's why it cost so much $ to live there...

Old 03-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Conroe resident View Post
Yes I know, I have family in Nor Ca also and have visited many times though I do the think the burbs of Sac are similar (Folsom, Roseville etc...) Sonoma, Napa, Mendocino, Tahoe etc are very nice and that's why it cost so much $ to live there...
I agree about the burbs of Sacramento (though no vineyards there) Our oldest is a fireman for the City of Sacramento, he and his wife purchased a new home last summer there, in West Sac (a lot of the same builders, Meritage, Lennar, etc) By the time they closed July-ish, we were well underway with our TX venture, and while they purchased a heavily discounted model home, my husband and I could not help but compare the comparable home / price point /value for the dollar against Houston. But they are happy. That is what is important.

I had read so many posts that were from So Ca transplants, or the perception of TX natives of CA transplants, I just really wanted to clear the air of expectations, preconcieved notions, etc. You and Sunny57 are from So CA,(actually I think she is from Contra Costa county) and certainly are not the stereotypical So CA molds. I am hoping that we can change the "Hollywood" perception, which gets a little resistance from others, to who most of us really are. Believe it or not, there are those in the rest of the country who see us as wheeler-dealer, beach bumming (the beaches of No CA are freezing cold BTW) pot smoking, granola crunching, Berkenstock wearing ultra liberals coming to compromise their way of life. As you know this is so not so, at least for the likes of us!! We are coming to embrace a calmer, less stressful, thus happier way of life. Kinda like No CA was late '60's
'70's.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:40 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Also, though slightly off topic, not all CA natives are liberal, democratic, left wing activates. Unfortunately, the media loves to play kissey face with those creeps.

This made me cringe. I guess you would prefer a world in which everyone thinks exactly like you do? Just to ensure no diversity of thought whatsoever?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
This made me cringe. I guess you would prefer a world in which everyone thinks exactly like you do? Just to ensure no diversity of thought whatsoever?
Wow--of course not! Sorry you took it that way!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think the point she was trying to make is, don't judge the entire state by the thought process of a few nuts....they are a great "tool" for the media. I grew up in northern & southern Cali....never met a Paris Hilton! Total waste of oxygen... It's those stupid OC programs people watch and believe to be the norm out there!?! It would be like the rest of the US thinking Texas is filled with nothing but Rednecks, Cowboy's and Good Olde Boy's. When we are a great melting pot! peace... Sunny57

Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
I think the point she was trying to make is, don't judge the entire state by the thought process of a few nuts....they are a great "tool" for the media. I grew up in northern & southern Cali....never met a Paris Hilton! Total waste of oxygen... It's those stupid OC programs people watch and believe to be the norm out there!?! It would be like the rest of the US thinking Texas is filled with nothing but Rednecks, Cowboy's and Good Olde Boy's. When we are a great melting pot! peace... Sunny57
Thank you Sunny57-you understood my point completely!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you Sunny57-you understood my point completely!
your welcome...age does have it's perks! sunny57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston