Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 AM

29 posts, read 115,250 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going through the rigamaroll of getting Texas drivers licences and car registration. Let me first say that every other Texan I have spoken with regarding our move has been absolutely charming. Today my husband called about getting our licences and the lady at the DMV said that she would require our marriage certificate. When my husband informed her it was from Cuba she audibly sighed and said that she didn't think it would be valid and continued to be utterly obnoxious and rude for the remainder of the conversation. First of all since I am Canadian and we have NO sanctions against Cuba my marriage is absolutely legal so why would it not be legal in Texas? Secondly how dare she judge us on where we were married? SO angry and frustrated right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I am going to assume the marriage certificate is to verify your new last name? Don't let the people at the DMV get you down. They are NOT the norm at all. We ALL dread going there and having to deal with that. A few years ago I went in to get my license renewed, 4 kids in tow w/ 1 being in an infant carrier. Waited in line and finally got my turn, I needed my social security card and/or a paystub. Well, first I NEVER carry my SS card w/ me as I don't want my purse lost or stolen and someone getting that info and it can not be used as a form of ID anyway. Paystub, ummm, I'm a stay at home mom, hello, see kids in tow (2 mine, 2 a friends that I watched for her). There was NOTHING in anything around posted or that I recieved that said I would need this info so I was pretty ticked. This is just the way they like to do business. Just wait till you have to go get the tags for your car . If one place gives you a hard time about something go to a different office. I've learned this one when registering classic/antique cars. Each one of them reads something different into the requirements and it can be a royal pain in the tush.

Anyway, welcome and I do hope it all gets better.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 AM

Thanks momof2 that makes me feel better. I am just a little frustrated with all the red tape of bringing our vehicle over. Even though we just got a safety and and emissions test we still have to get another when we get there. I am just worried I will end up going to some con artist for my inspection and spending a whole lot more money than I can afford with this already expensive move. The only thing worse than dealing with any government office is a shady mechanic. Do you have someone that you can reccommend?

Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2btexan View Post
Thanks momof2 that makes me feel better. I am just a little frustrated with all the red tape of bringing our vehicle over. Even though we just got a safety and and emissions test we still have to get another when we get there. I am just worried I will end up going to some con artist for my inspection and spending a whole lot more money than I can afford with this already expensive move. The only thing worse than dealing with any government office is a shady mechanic. Do you have someone that you can reccommend?
Oh, don't worry about that. When my husband bought his latest classic musle car it got shipped here from out of state and had not been registered for awhile so it had no tags at all. I purchased a set of plates from the year the car was made (you can do this if the plates have never been issued to be on a car from the state. There are dealers that sell them). Back then they were "white", well it was "white" for then but it was more of the yellowish-white. The car needed a "green sheet" and I had to get this from an inspection place. It did not require an emissions testing because of the age we found out so off we went for the "green sheet", driving a car w/ no tags or registration, eck. That was only $5 and you don't have to worry about getting ripped off on that as long as you know your car is in good shape and know what really needs to be done if there is a problem. Took all this to the tax office and the lady there did not like one of the plates, too yellow. THERE ALMOST 40 YEARS OLD!!! DUH! Needed an inspection, I have the green sheet, not enough for her. So I went home and got some Clorox and rubbed on the "white" part and put out in the sun. The next week I went to a different tax office and had no problems whatsoever. She was even able to do what we really wanted, the little metal plate instead of the window sticker that the other lady told me were no longer available. LOL!!!

So even bringing a car into the state just from another state still requires the emissions/inspections. You'll be fine. When you get here ask the front office of wherever your staying or a coworker where they get their car inspected and how they are.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:42 AM

I will have to get your e-mail addy! My dad is a car freak and is shopping for the shell of a 67 'vette. He is ecstatic that I am moving to Texas so he can come poke around for cars! Apparently cars keep alot better when there aren't terrible low temperatures and a butt load of snow.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 AM

Try looking up automaniacs in New Branfauls and Austin. They usually have a nice selection of cars and some project cars available. I try to stay away from the high glossy car dealers as they also have a high overhead to take care of. Try automaniacs com and look up what they have. They do consignment mostly so their prices are more reasonable. Barrett-Jackson is in February and hubby plans on going. He wants a 65 Vette. These classic cars are big in Texas. There are still some around sitting in garages that have only had one owner and such. Hard to find but possible.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM

84 posts, read 761,212 times
Default so typical of the Texas DPS

My wife and I made the move from California to Texas six years ago. Our experience here in every way has been so positive, in fact we will never move out of the state. However, shortly after our move to Texas we proceeded to go to the DPS (DMV). After eight hours my wife was in tears after the way we were treated. Our experience at the DPS was horrible. After waiting four hours and signing the appropriate forms, we proceeded to pay the registraton/title fee. The DPS employee said they did not accept credit cards, so we wrote a personal check. The employee rolled her eyes at us and said no out of state checks were permitted. We lost our place in line and had to go to the bank, withdraw over $300 and wait another 4 hours. After four more hours, we gave another DPS employee our money. She made us wait another 45 minutes because she needed to confirm that our money was not counterfit. When I made a wisecrack regarding Monopoly money, she replied "typical west coast freaks".
Unfortunately, our first experiences with Texas usually deal with these horrific DPS expeiences. The reality we found is that the attitude present at the DPS is the exception rather than the rule here. The DPS is full of miserable people who have a lot of control over our lives. I had to go to the DPS a second time, however, I drove 45 minutes to a small town called Alvin and I must say that I was treated much better. I will never go to a Houston DPS center again if my life depends on it. As a now naturalized Texan, we welcome you to our state and after staying a little while you will never look back. Good luck and Welcome! Sorry, no Tim Horton's here!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM

Thanks bmglad! My husband is already buying cans of Tim Hortons Coffee to take with us!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:09 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
Gee, sounds like a real bad experience. Thank you for sharing that.

I think it would be a great idea if the nice Texas people on the forum would tell us what we need when we all get there. They said, no cash, no check from out of State. Anything else you can think of? I want to be ready.

I know another girl who got there had to start all over with new Doctors. They will not take any prescriptions from other states. So, that was nice to know.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM

Go to texas.gov and you can find out everything about just about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: