Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by campers View Post
You said - and these are your words now:

"I said the widespread flooding we see in Houston right now is typical when storms of this magnitude hit Houston. We saw it with Alicia, Ike and Allison...we are now seeing a repeat of this typical flooding with Harvey."

Again, no it is not.

The widespread flooding we are seeing with Harvey is not typical of storms of Harvey's magnitude when they hit Houston.

It is unprecedented and is probably going to get much worse.
What is the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:42 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
According to the NWS and channel 13, we have already eclipsed Allison in rainfall amounts.

https://twitter.com/HerzogWeather/st...89847446687745

Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 6,625 times
I have to agree with those bashing the hoax. Especially considering that the post insinuated insider information in conjunction with a conspiracy cover up perpetrated by the government. That to me doesn't mean it was any kind of prediction, it was purely meant to cause panic and distress, which is why I found it in bad taste.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:44 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
This is much worse than Allison. Homes that have never flooded are flooding. I think the mayor should have told the people who flooded before or live in the 100 year flood plain to evacuate. Too many people stayed in homes doomed to flood. The response is better than the last big flood. There are helicopters and boats coming nonstop to save people. Thank goodness for the governors supplying more of them, and so many civilians stepping up to help others. The fire department and national guard are doing an incredible job so far.

Let's stop arguing about the former posts. It's very bad here and we should focus on safety and recovery.

Westbury Church is open for shelter. If you can't get through to 911 or the national guard, call the Houston DPS to get on the list for evacuation.

DPS-281-517-1300

Not sure if this is the right number, as I couldn't get through, but the Coast Guard number I have is 281-464-4851.

Check on Nextdoor.com for info on neighborhoods near you. Please, so not go to your attic. If water gets too high you will drown. If you do get in the attic, make sure you have an ax or hatchet to get out. Friends of ours had to stay on their roof for hours before getting rescued.

Last edited by Meyerland; 08-27-2017 at 02:56 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 02:55 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This is much worse than Allison. Homes that have never flooded are flooding. I think the mayor should have told the people who flooded before or live in the 100 year flood plain to evacuate. Too many people stayed in homes doomed to flood. The response is better than the last big flood. There are helicopters and boats coming nonstop to save people. Thank goodness for the governors supplying more of them, and so many civilians stepping up to help others. The fire department and national guard are doing an incredible job so far.

Let's stop arguing about the former posts. It's very bad here and we should focus on safety and recovery.
You think they would leave because the mayor told them,

I suspect their staying had more to do with available cash and where would they go. How many shelters were opened before the storm?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I guess you don't like facts.

No flooding with Alicia? Interesting that Alicia was a Cat 3 when it hit and had 115 mph sustained winds.
No flooding with Allison? Allison lasted unusually long for a June storm, remaining tropical or subtropical for 15 days, most of them over land dumping torrential rains.
No flooding with Ike?

No flooding with Harvey?

How do you explain away these facts? Did you live in Houston during any of these storms?
Harvey's rainfall totals have them all beat with 3-4 more days of rain to go. No storm that you have lived through matches Harvey's rain totals.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:05 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
And we still have to deal with the water from Houston's NW side that will flow down in the next few days while it's still raining
It could get really ugly

Old 08-27-2017, 03:07 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I've already gained 5 lbs ... still have lots of chips and soda to go through
It's not looking good for me

Old 08-27-2017, 03:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You think they would leave because the mayor told them,

I suspect their staying had more to do with available cash and where would they go. How many shelters were opened before the storm?
Many of the people who were middle and upper class, would leave if the mayor said they should. People I know that didn't leave are sheltering in HISD schools, churches, and others homes that have higher elevation. Even Gallery Furniture is opening their doors so people have a place to sleep and even allows small animals.

The people that couldn't leave should have been evacuated using HISD or city buses to public or private shelters. After the previous flood, I am shocked they didn't have a better plan in place. Some apartments close to me have water in the second story apartments. That is shocking.

The helicopters are taking people right now to Ellington Field.

Should everyone evacuate...no. Should the people in flood prone areas...heck yeah. That's what the mayor should have said.
How about posting something helpful for the people devastated by the flood?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Allison was the same type of storm. We experienced unprecedented widespread flooding in Houston with Allison.

The six-day rainfall in Houston amounted to 38.6 inches. The deluge of rainfall flooded 95,000 automobiles and 73,000 houses throughout Harris County. Tropical Storm Allison destroyed 2,744 homes, leaving 30,000 homeless with residential damages totaling to $1.76 billion.

Any high rain producing storm is going to cause flooding in Houston because Houston has poor flooding controls. Houston is only 80 inches (6 ft) above sea level. It's typical for a city that is barely 6 ft above sea level and that has poor flood control measures to flood when high rain producing storms move in. Why do you think basements are not the norm in a city the size of Houston?

There has been a UH study that show parts of Houston sinking. Geologists find parts of Northwest Houston, Texas sinking rapidly

You don't need a storm as large as Harvey to produce widespread flooding in Houston. It will happen with much smaller storms as seen in the past.

One poster said she has received less rain then on Memorial Day. Same with my mom...hardly any rain today in her neighborhood. The pockets of Houston with the worst flood control measures are going to get the worst of this rain if it's raining in that area.

These are just simple facts.
Re Jeff Lindner, chief meteorologist Harris Co Flood Control Dist
419 BILLION gallons of water have fallen on Harris County in past 24 hours...

That is NOTHING like past events...

Yes...maybe some people have not flooded but that is Harvey's randomness in action
Not always down to superior planning...
And while superior planning likely could have prevented New Orleans's flooding since the levies failed and there are questions still about why/how that occurred, I don't know anything but jacking up every flooded area 6 ft would have prevented this...

Last edited by loves2read; 08-27-2017 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston