Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 18,554 times

Advertisements

Moving to Houston area and found some nice houses in Mission Bend that are really inexpensive. Is this a nice area to live? Is there a difference between North and South Mission Bend? What about closer to Westpark Tollway? What about neighboring Alief?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmd View Post
Moving to Houston area and found some nice houses in Mission Bend that are really inexpensive. Is this a nice area to live? Is there a difference between North and South Mission Bend? What about closer to Westpark Tollway? What about neighboring Alief?
Don't do it.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
Don't do it.

Why? Is it unsafe? Bad schools?
What about the bellaire/Addicks Clodine area, is that Alief or Mission Bend?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Is it unsafe?
Yes.

Quote:
Bad schools?
Yes.

Quote:
What about the bellaire/Addicks Clodine area, is that Alief or Mission Bend?
That is Mission Bend and you don't want any part of it.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
I don't know about Mission Bend, but stay away from Alief.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 PM

If you are thinking about moving to the area, give us your wishlist and price range and the forum can probably give you better suggestions than Mission Bend and Alief...

For example, older parts of Katy have houses in the $90-$150 range with far superior schools, lower crime, etc....

Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
If you are thinking about moving to the area, give us your wishlist and price range and the forum can probably give you better suggestions than Mission Bend and Alief...

For example, older parts of Katy have houses in the $90-$150 range with far superior schools, lower crime, etc....

We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom for around $1200/month. Our youngest will need PPCD (special education preschool) program, but our other children use their mom's address for KISD. We are looking for west of Sam Houston Tollway and South of I-10 for commuting purposes. Low crime is high on our wish list.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
I live in the Alief area. I'm really not sure what is 'unsafe' to C-D posters. We've been here for about 7.5 years and I dont really see an issue and I live near 2 cheap apartments. After Katrina the apartments in the area got a whole lot of 'refugees' from NOLA and that was a bit 'ugly'. Now I dont see them anymore.
This area is really for the fresh-off-the-boat types. Vietnamese, Mexicans, Nigerians, Pakistanis. middleeastern people and others just trying to keep it simple, or to save on housing and put more cash on cars/boats/college
The westpark tollway works great for me. You do need to factor that in your monthly expenses tho

Old 09-10-2013, 04:37 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
Quote:
We are looking to rent a 3 bedroom for around $1200/month. Our youngest will need PPCD (special education preschool) program, but our other children use their mom's address for KISD. We are looking for west of Sam Houston Tollway and South of I-10 for commuting purposes. Low crime is high on our wish list.
I heard from a neighbor that Alief ISD PPCD program is pretty good. I think you might want to check out the town/houses near Outley elementary school, near Shadowlakes and Royal Oaks
I also recommend Kiddizone for after school daycare

Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I live in the Alief area. I'm really not sure what is 'unsafe' to C-D posters. We've been here for about 7.5 years and I dont really see an issue and I live near 2 cheap apartments. After Katrina the apartments in the area got a whole lot of 'refugees' from NOLA and that was a bit 'ugly'. Now I dont see them anymore.
This area is really for the fresh-off-the-boat types. Vietnamese, Mexicans, Nigerians, Pakistanis. middleeastern people and others just trying to keep it simple, or to save on housing and put more cash on cars/boats/college
The westpark tollway works great for me. You do need to factor that in your monthly expenses tho
Sounds so wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston