Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 11:40 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,223,353 times

Advertisements

doubt it. what natural area is it closest to that has a large population looking to move up and out?

The early days of FB County and recent Brazoria Country growth is due to areas from Houston which were designed as starter areas
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM

694 posts, read 837,722 times
Aliana, along Highway 99 tried a Polo Field. They actual constructed a lit field, and some facilities.........didn't work out.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...in-8381702.php

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ound-Fort-Bend

Old 10-25-2018, 04:18 PM

8 posts, read 8,753 times
I live not far from where this'll be going in, and honestly the only problem I have with development there is that I really hope that the folks moving into that neighborhood are aware of how flood-prone it is. (If it is, in fact the tract of land I think it is. It was completely underwater during harvey) I hate seeing people duped into believing they're safe because their neighborhood is built on fill dirt, and then don't buy flood insurance. For the people moving into this neighborhood- who are obviously not going to be in the same income bracket as WL/Fulbrook/CCR/Fulbrook FC, something like a flood would be financially ruinous. I really wish there was more of an effort to educate people on flood risk here in the Houston area, but oh well.

People whining about "OH NOES MAH SCHOOLS!", lmao, okay, then don't send your kids to Huggins? Why not just send them to a private school if you're so afraid of your kid mingling with "the poors". (Which- spoilers- they probably already do. Fulshear was not always the ritchy-rich white people community that people would have you believe- there is still plenty of evidence this.)

Anyway, I wouldn't live there personally due to my aforementioned reasons, but I'm not opposed to more affordable development. And knowing the city of Fulshear, it's probably going to look pretty nice when all is said and done.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:33 PM

967 posts, read 2,612,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulsheario View Post
I live not far from where this'll be going in, and honestly the only problem I have with development there is that I really hope that the folks moving into that neighborhood are aware of how flood-prone it is. (If it is, in fact the tract of land I think it is. It was completely underwater during harvey) I hate seeing people duped into believing they're safe because their neighborhood is built on fill dirt, and then don't buy flood insurance. For the people moving into this neighborhood- who are obviously not going to be in the same income bracket as WL/Fulbrook/CCR/Fulbrook FC, something like a flood would be financially ruinous. I really wish there was more of an effort to educate people on flood risk here in the Houston area, but oh well.

People whining about "OH NOES MAH SCHOOLS!", lmao, okay, then don't send your kids to Huggins? Why not just send them to a private school if you're so afraid of your kid mingling with "the poors". (Which- spoilers- they probably already do. Fulshear was not always the ritchy-rich white people community that people would have you believe- there is still plenty of evidence this.)

Anyway, I wouldn't live there personally due to my aforementioned reasons, but I'm not opposed to more affordable development. And knowing the city of Fulshear, it's probably going to look pretty nice when all is said and done.
Same thoughts. I worry about Bessie Creek flooding more than the “undesirables” living in $160k housing (whatever)

And yes, other than the newest MPC’s in the area, the “real” Fulshear definitely has pockets of poverty that have been there long before these fancy MPC’s

See Fixing Fulshear — Fulshear Outreach & Development. Maybe even consider helping your neighbors who could never dream of affording that $160k house so many are afraid of.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Same thoughts. I worry about Bessie Creek flooding more than the “undesirables” living in $160k housing (whatever)

And yes, other than the newest MPC’s in the area, the “real” Fulshear definitely has pockets of poverty that have been there long before these fancy MPC’s

See Fixing Fulshear — Fulshear Outreach & Development. Maybe even consider helping your neighbors who could never dream of affording that $160k house so many are afraid of.

Yup, me too. Especially because my family and I were personally affected by flooding from Bessie's Creek. Flooding is awful enough if you're insured- I can't even imagine for people who aren't.

IIRC Bessie's Creek has one of the largest watersheds in the county (I may be mistaken) I hope that any future upstream development is mindful of this and the proper steps are taken to mitigate risk toward communities further downstream.

(Also thanks for the link! I didn't know we had this!)

Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 PM

833 posts, read 1,888,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulsheario View Post

IIRC Bessie's Creek has one of the largest watersheds in the county (I may be mistaken) I hope that any future upstream development is mindful of this and the proper steps are taken to mitigate risk toward communities further downstream.

A few neighborhoods along Bessie are not going to have a huge impact. However the problem or concern is the fact that Bessie watershed goes all the way up past 290 and mostly undeveloped. The challenge is how do you have responsible development upstream including the fact that a lot of upsteam is not even Fort Bend County.

You also have to pay attention to the Brazos River, homes outside of floodplains in Bessie Watershed did not flood with Harvey until the Brazos crested and started backing up into Bessie Creek.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
A few neighborhoods along Bessie are not going to have a huge impact. However the problem or concern is the fact that Bessie watershed goes all the way up past 290 and mostly undeveloped. The challenge is how do you have responsible development upstream including the fact that a lot of upsteam is not even Fort Bend County.

You also have to pay attention to the Brazos River, homes outside of floodplains in Bessie Watershed did not flood with Harvey until the Brazos crested and started backing up into Bessie Creek.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was implying. Polo Ranch/Vanbrooke/whatever don't really concern me. What concerns me is a pattern of development far, far upstream that would cause problems for the communities downstream. A neighborhood right here probably won't do much to affect our issues with drainage and flooding. But tons and tons of mega MPCs all building on filldirt, or having crappy stormwater management strategies? Ft Bend County actually has some pretty good developmental regulations with regard to mitigation and stormwater management, but what's to say Waller County will follow in our footsteps and not, say, Harris? I really hope they look to FBC and adapt our model. I kind of also wish we addressed flood mitigation on a regional scale larger than just by county.

An interesting thing to note, too about the Brazos. I'd say Harvey was a one-two punch to the area- Bessies Creek received massive amounts of rain upstream, and the Brazos had already reached a point where the creek could no longer flow into it and backed up. I think we had similar problems on Tax Day (I want to say that was the last event that nearly flooded us)- the areas north of us received enormous amounts of rain, and IIRC the Brazos was already pretty high as it was.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,917,963 times
Fulsheario makes some valid points. There is a lot of pearl clutching going on by folks from Fulshear on CD Forum and related FB pages. A lot of NIMBYism, if you ask me.

It will be interested to see how long those $160k homes stay $160k (or how many of them are built at that price point). It is certainly a test of "free market" forces a lot of folks like to crow about in these parts.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,516,486 times
I keep hearing how hard it is for retail and restaurants in this area to get decent staff because there isn’t affordable housing nearby, maybe this will help.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:36 PM

967 posts, read 2,612,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
I keep hearing how hard it is for retail and restaurants in this area to get decent staff because there isn’t affordable housing nearby, maybe this will help.
What would help is some (gasp) multi family housing. There is zero in Fulshear. I know, because my family considered a move to Fulshear city limits for a city job, and we were hoping for a rental until the end of the school year. Not an entire house. Maybe like an apartment or townhome. There are none in Fulshear.

Also as the parent of a young adult working 50 hours a week in the Fulshear area, she HAS to live at home. As much as she would love to be a grown and flown young adult, there is nothing she can afford as a single person working 50 hours a week in the service sector in Fulshear.

Hard to say if a $160k home section will help. But the NIMBYism of some folks isn’t a help to the local service industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston