Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:23 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I am not a liberal. I just know my geography. And I happen to have friends who celebrate Diwali. If you were a proud American, you would know your American geography. Instead you are a stupid American. My 9th grader is taking geography in high school. Were you absent for all of that?
He's not American. (Or not native born, anyway.) He said a few pages back that he's from Europe and has been here six years. So he's searching for his perception of a "real" American city.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
He's not American. (Or not native born, anyway.) He said a few pages back that he's from Europe and has been here six years. So he's searching for his perception of a "real" American city.
Oh gawd. Is this like when newcomers ask for the nearest dude ranch when they move to Houston, because all they can think of is some cartoonish stereotype of “real Texas”

Because those posers are quite annoying...

Old 11-15-2018, 05:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. Stupid European then.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
Is it stupid to look for America in America?
It seems like you are trying to eradicate it, out of white guilt or some kind of fashion statement.
The enlightened anointed leaders of society (you) have now a consensus that everything American are just "no good"?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM

61,728 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Guys! Enough of name calling! Behave like proper Americans, please...

BTW: are we still talking about Houston on Houston Forum, or should I move this thread to Politics??
If you want to talk about Houston, please go back on topic...

Last edited by elnina; 11-15-2018 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Is it stupid to look for America in America?
It seems like you are trying to eradicate it, out of white guilt or some kind of fashion statement.
The enlightened anointed leaders of society (you) have now a consensus that everything American are just "no good"?
Funny that someone with the screen name "buenos" would have this attitude. I honestly don't know what you're looking for. I'm from San Antonio, which is 60% Hispanic. That's my America and I'm proud of it. We celebrate both the Fourth of July and Cinco de Mayo. I have no interest in eradicating either culture. We've co-existed for centuries.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:32 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
I apologize for the name calling.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:42 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
I had an impression of some (especially white liberal) Americans being ashamed of their own culture. I have never seen it in other countries like this, I lived in 4 different countries so far (my profession takes me to places). It is rampant in northern California where I live right now, and that is one of the reasons why I want to relocate somewhere else. That is how it is related to the Houston forum.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 PM

331 posts, read 487,547 times
All joking aside, I think it is probably hard to relate because people on this board don’t have experience with people being ashamed of their culture (if it is in fact the case in Northern California). At least it is not really something I’ve experienced. The other aspect to keep in mind is there is no defined culture. Like someone noted, San Antonio is 60% Hispanic. In Houston, like someone else noted, you could not find 10 houses in a row that are the same race (or ethnicity or whatever you want to call it). What the “culture” is is different to everyone. But bottom line, if someone is looking for more their version of American culture that is more racially monotonous or white or based on what someone thinks the US was like 50 years ago, Houston is just a really bad place to find it. You’d be better off seeking something like that out in the rust belt or Kansas or Iowa or West Virginia or something. That’s all I got. That is an honest answer, not trying to poke fun at anyone. And trying to bring it back on topic to Houston.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why is upscale Fort Bend County going Democrat? Is it simply because Trump turns off a large number of Republicans there or are there other reasons?
Too many educated, informed people moving there. Outside of the top one percent, the Republican party is the part of uneducated, working class, white people. This isn't 1988 anymore pal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston