Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That pic is nasty, all that is flowing into Houston Ship Channel and then into Galveston Bay and then into the Gulf of Mexico, which is why I don't swim at the beach in Galveston.

Instead of having tailing ponds it looks like that facility just dumps into the HSC.

On a positive note, the air quality is moderate in Houston today, an improvement from the unhealthy air yesterday as the winds are more favorable from the cold front that's coming.
It's the weekend too so not as much traffic. The formula for elevated ozone is clear weather with light winds and lots of traffic. Sunshine turns car exhaust into ozone and without wind to blow it away it accumulates.

Ozone is not benzene please remember that, those readings you are posting as proof of contamination from this fire would be elevated with or without this event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 AM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
That pic is nasty, all that is flowing into Houston Ship Channel and then into Galveston Bay and then into the Gulf of Mexico, which is why I don't swim at the beach in Galveston.

Instead of having tailing ponds it looks like that facility just dumps into the HSC.

On a positive note, the air quality is moderate in Houston today, an improvement from the unhealthy air yesterday as the winds are more favorable from the cold front that's coming.
Normally, that facility wouldn't be dumping anything. The flow of stuff into waterways was due to a containment structure failure.

In the normal course of events, you won't be exposed to the chemicals on a Galveston beach.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:02 PM

41 posts, read 24,120 times
Seeing the black smoke stretching across the sky further ingrained my desire to leave the Houston area.

There are so many nice parts of the U.S. that DO NOT have refineries and the associated pollution and health hazards.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
Quote:

Inflow won't affect Galveston much because the bay will already contain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
There are so many nice parts of the U.S. that DO NOT have refineries and the associated pollution and health hazards.
How highly observant you are.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Seeing the black smoke stretching across the sky further ingrained my desire to leave the Houston area.

I don't know how many times I have told people that especially living on the westside of Houston you never really notice that the largest petrochemical complex in the country is 30 to 40 miles away. I still never smelled any of that refinery funk that I have smelled before living on the eastside in my childhood, but I saw that dark haze in the sky and I knew what it was, so that's going to be a more difficult stance to articulate in the future.

I have no fear of being exposed to any harmful amounts of any chemicals from this event . I know that I get more exposure to those chemicals filling up the tank with gas in my car, but I'm sure trolls and chicken littles will use this to lash out at a city that probably intimidates them in many other ways.

Lets try to look at facts

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...ity-rates.html

There are at least 19 other major American cities that have higher cancer mortality rates than Houston.

including Chicago, New York, San Francisco , and Seattle, all darlings of anti-industrial theology.

The list is compiled from data provided by the Big Cities Health Coalition , which represents 30 of the largest cities in the U.S. Meaning Houston has a lower cancer mortality rate than most of the major cities in the country. I think facts will in time rule over emotions at least in the lives of the smartest people...
Our Members — Big Cities Health Coalition

Last edited by Jack Lance; 03-24-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 PM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:

But, you will still drive your car and contribute to the pollution here.

The health risks from the plants on the East side are minimal for anyone living in the area, and minimal for anyone living West of Downtown.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
But, you will still drive your car
And be more likely to die prematurely doing that than breathing in and of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston