Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,167 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating to Houston from Philadelphia for my husband's job which will be in an office building at the Galleria. I am a bit familiar with the west side of the city because my grandparents have lived in Memorial (in Thornwood) for 30 years. We have two small children so we are looking for a nice family community with the best possible public schools we can find within about a 45 minute commute to the Galleria.

I think the Woodlands is out because the commute would be awful. I hear the commute from Katy down I-10 is bad, but there are sections of Katy ISD that are practically in Memorial and Taylor high school seems to be rated very highly.

Any suggestions are welcome. My husband tells me a lot of people take the bus just to avoid the traffic leaving the parking garage in the evenings.

Schools and commute are our priorites. Coming from here we can afford about a $350K house which will buy us plenty of house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 AM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
From Katy, it will take longer than 45 minutes during rush hour. and West Park toll road is a joke.
Try looking in Spring Branch ISD zoned areas, you may find something in your range in Spring Valley or memorial bend. These are older homes. Don't know if you are looking for an older home. When I worked in the galleria area, i was able to make it in and out of the office in 45 minutes or less, but I left the house at 6:30-6:45am

Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,505,712 times
You could buy right over there in Nottingham Forest. Spring Branch ISD.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

381 posts, read 1,234,701 times
I agree with above- there are many great places in Spring Branch. You may even find something in Afton....Smaller house but very close in, and Spring Branch ISD.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 AM

I just plugged in your price range in 77079 and there's a lot to chose from. But they are going really fast in that price range. Tons already are pending sale.

Areas north of I-10 still have some pockets of nicer, older homes that haven't been razzed for Mansions yet.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,167 times
I wonder how long the commute to the Galleria is if you use the Metro from the Kingsland Park and Ride? My husband definitely wants to stay under 45 minutes but I was hoping for a newer home and to be out a little further than Spring Branch...basically I'd like to avoid being right around the corner from my grandparents...love to see them, but on MY schedule If we end up in a beautiful older home in Thornwood or Nottingham Forest it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm told that the I-10 construction project is supposed to be done in the fall and I wonder if that will help the commute?

What about Sugarland? Is the commute just as bad from there?

Anybody know what the top Christian school, academically I mean, is in the Houston area?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 AM

There'll be 2 HOV lanes, with a third Toll lane for single occupancy on I-10, to be completed by October this year or next, I forget.

PS- Leaving by 7:15,you can make it to the Galleria area in the morning in 25 minutes winding down Memorial and feeding onto Briar Forest/SAN Felipe. Not a bad drive at all. Evenings are different depending what time you leave. But if there's traffic, you can get all your shopping done along the way.

To live in Katy, at rush hour tack on at least another 20 minutes to the Galleria. At the LEAST.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-17-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM

Adding school info.

Most would say Stake Jesuit and St. Agnes are the Top. But Duchense and Regis, and St. Johns are up there and many are going to Houston Christain right off the Beltway. The beauty of the Western Memorial area is that you're a quick drive to all those schools or you can just go to Stratford.

Lower Schools would be St. Francis, St. John's, St. Cecilas, St. Michaels and many other small ones.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Sienna Plantation. I work on Post Oak, and my average commute is about 35 minutes via the Fort Bend County Toll road.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:20 AM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
In Sugar Land, the commute depends on a few factors:
How far from 59 you are?
How early you are willing to get up?

New homes: can't beat Telfair, but i am bias that is where I am building. There should be homes in your range there. (Telfair )

Christian school's there is fort bend baptist academy near by.
There is going to be a Lutheran School in the near future off 99 in the Lakes of Bella Tera community too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston