Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 11:41 AM

9,853 posts, read 6,566,773 times

Advertisements

Z-Ro specifically claims the Ridgemont 4 area. All you need to to is a quick YouTube search to see Ridgemont isn’t consider that good part of MO City. I’m not going to post some of the explicit fighting videos that you can find, but here’s a block party video.

This area is one of those types of neighborhoods that upfront will look like a suburb the way the houses are built and roads are laid out. But spending enough time, the perception changes. When I lived in Louisiana, I had a girlfriend that lived in one of these types of areas in Sulphur, LA. Looks like you’re in the burbs but you’re in a “nice suburb” but you’re in the hood and you’ll see the hood activity once settling in.

I’m not sure about the history of the Ridgemont 4 or of MO City in general. But the one where my ex stayed in Sulphur was a case of what they call “suburban ghettos” that are established public housing that results from the government buying a planned subdivision that happens to be in the middle of the suburbs. It was a trend that went on for a while, not sure if it’s still a common practice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 12:18 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
We were in school at the same time as I lived in Briargate.

Ridgemont was a mix of all types of housing compared to the other areas. Where I lived we only had one row of duplexes and the rest was single family. Ridgemont was larger with more duplexes and smaller homes along with typical suburban homes. Them and Mayfair Park nearby were considered “rough” but it wasn’t New Orleans or anything like that.

As funny as it sounds, I did not have a hispanic in my school until 6th grade as at that time they only stayed in Ridgemont. They didn’t cross South Post Oak until years later.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:51 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I grew up out there....Ridgemont aint considered the good side..lol

it was "different" when I was going to school out there. Wasn't super rough but its demographics weren't the same as the rest
Oh ok. I was out there not too long ago and it looked real quiet; pretty homes and nice lawns.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Oh ok. I was out there not too long ago and it looked real quiet; pretty homes and nice lawns.
Yep. “Suburban ghettos” do that for you. On the outside, they’re aestheticly your regular nice suburb. But they’re hoods in throughout wirh much more culture than you’ll see in an actual suburb.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Ridgemont and other areas nearby were built for one thing but demographic changes killed it quickly.

It's not a bad area but the mix of cheap housing didn't help it also. One section has 2500 sq foot homes and then a block over is slum lord duplexes. In the back the homes drop to damn near 1500 square feet but then in the back you have some nice split level looking homes. Then in the mid 2000s they decide to drop rental homes behind it and then the trailer park community for Katrina victims behind it. Bad landlords and cheap housing which allowed folks who didn't care to own can bring an area down quickly. On the back side off Court Road they built a nice middle class area called Green Valley Estates.
It was the biggest community in the area but wasn't planned well.

Folks who lived back there tended to think they were rougher than everyone else and ran with that. In reality, they were regular folks as it doesn't come close to the wards in New Orleans.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:33 PM

RIP Big Floyd who did rapped on a few screwtapes. Everyone's been hearing about the police shooting of George Floyd but not a lot of people know he performed on screwtapes.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
RIP Big Floyd who did rapped on a few screwtapes. Everyone's been hearing about the police shooting of George Floyd but not a lot of people know he performed on screwtapes.

Big Floyd...is this the same guy that was killed by Minneapolis police?

Last edited by AcresHomes44; 05-28-2020 at 12:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Big Floyd...is this the same guy that was killed by police?
Yes. Check Lil Keke's Instagram for confirmation. I know its hard to believe I'm in shock as well. Billboard posted about it too.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...p-click-rapper

Old 05-28-2020, 11:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,240,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Rap music seems to come up a lot in the Houston forum.
Gotta keep mentioning it so it doesn't fall into irrelevancy.

The good stuff I remember is now 20-25 years old, which is hard to believe. The kids don't really know anything about that. Then another wave of wack-ass rappers came out with old tired lyrics Fat Pat already did... over and over again. At least more recently Travis Scott breathed some new life into things, as far as being popular and influencing other widely popular artists that aren't necessarily rap or hip hop. So that's cool.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yes. Check Lil Keke's Instagram for confirmation. I know its hard to believe I'm in shock as well. Billboard posted about it too.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...p-click-rapper
I never knew that. Wow...and he came up in 3rd Ward, went to Yates HS where he played basketball and football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston