Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You do realize that trends change and rappers change with them... Dorrough came out in the later 2000s. You know who was big around this time? Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy. This was the start of the most bubblegum era of hip hop ever. Were Dorrough to try to make songs like It's Funky Enough, he would be laughed at. You can't really blame a rapper for following trends, thats what get views.

And I'll have to completely disagree with the mediocre lyrics. I'm not sure if all you've heard from Dorrough are his club Anthems, but in his Silent Assassins mixtapes and others, he came through.
I’ve heard all of his mixtapes and he was average at best lyrically. Also you missed my point entirely on who is better. Just because it was the “times” means nothing. Petey Pablo was more popular than Phonte in North Carolina in the early 2000s but any hip hop head knows who was the better artist. ASAP Rocky maybe popular now but he’s nowhere near being one of the best artists out of NYC ever. By skills, DOC punishes Dorrough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 11:23 PM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I’ve heard all of his mixtapes and he was average at best lyrically. Also you missed my point entirely on who is better. Just because it was the “times” means nothing. Petey Pablo was more popular than Phonte in North Carolina in the early 2000s but any hip hop head knows who was the better artist.
The times do matter. Is there anyone right now using heavy samples on boom bap beats? No. Times change and great rappers adjust to them. Not everyone is a boomer that thinks old school hip hop is better by default. If that’s the case, trap music would’ve never came to be.

Quote:

ASAP Rocky maybe popular now but he’s nowhere near being one of the best artists out of NYC ever. By skills, DOC punishes Dorrough.
I don’t really see why this matters. Dorrough was motte popular than DOC but he wasn’t all that popular either. One hit and a few other smaller club hits. His greatness is besides his popularity. To A$ap fans, hes the greatest New York rapper ever. Who’s to say they’re wrong?

Old 02-02-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
The times do matter. Is there anyone right now using heavy samples on boom bap beats? No. Times change and great rappers adjust to them. Not everyone is a boomer that thinks old school hip hop is better by default. If that’s the case, trap music would’ve never came to be.

I don’t really see why this matters. Dorrough was motte popular than DOC but he wasn’t all that popular either. One hit and a few other smaller club hits. His greatness is besides his popularity. To A$ap fans, hes the greatest New York rapper ever. Who’s to say they’re wrong?
Your first point is irrelevant. I’m not talking about beats. I’m talking about skills and that’s where “time” doesn’t matter. Skills are skills no matter what era and you either have it or you don’t.

Your second point is exactly all that needs to be said about hip hop today. Folks remember and hold DOC far higher than Dorrough. At least though that base their opinion on skilled artists.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:10 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

Dorrough at his peak was never as popular as D.O.C. in his peak. D.O.C. made way more of an impact on the landscape of Hip-hop than Dorrough has. And D.O.C. is more relevant in hip-hop today than Dorrough ever was.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that both would be considered "1-hit wonders" by mainstream standards. Maybe a certain demographic who were in college in the early 00's(my generation) who were into the party/clubbing scene might put Dorrough's 1 or 2 songs in a higher bracket than D.O.C.

But D.O.C. funky enough record and that entire 1st album will remain as one of the best hip-hop records of all-time during that era. It was pretty big during that time period.

D.O.C. didn't sustain a level of popularity due to his accident that messed up his voice. Dorrough made gimmicky records with no long lasting substance and fizzled out quick. It's a difference. And D.O.C. after his accident contributed to some of the greatest records of all-time. Can't say the same for Dorrough.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:21 AM

Also I'd just like to add that DFW hip-hop scene has really separated themselves from Houston probably about 7 to 8 years ago and really found their niche. I remember back in the early 00's when DFW was still trying to find it's own style. When the dance wave took over DFW really reinvented their sound and felt like the first time they were just kinda doing them and embracing it. Before the teach me how to dougie and Dallas-PVUA&M music connect the biggest artist out of Dallas were DSR.

And I remember back in high school/early college they use to get clowned for sounding like some Swisha House clones. Before then it was the Mr.Lucci/Mr.Pookie/Stoney Crook and Twisted Black era but they really never popped off like that outside of their region.

Due to the internet Dallas and Fort Worth have both separated themselves amongst a younger generation where people understand the differences outside of DFW and Texas.

I'd still say that Houston hip-hop scene is more of a thing though because Houston embraces it's Hip-hop culture more as a part of the city's identity than Dallas does it's local artist. You see art and references to Houston hip-hop culture all throughout the city. Restaurants/Bars/murals/etc. Houston hip-hop culture is just more in your face in the city. Similar to places like Atlanta/NYC/LA/Oakland.

DFW not so much outside of Black owned establishments and murals in Deep Ellum.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Dorrough at his peak was never as popular as D.O.C. in his peak. D.O.C. made way more of an impact on the landscape of Hip-hop than Dorrough has. And D.O.C. is more relevant in hip-hop today than Dorrough ever was.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that both would be considered "1-hit wonders" by mainstream standards. Maybe a certain demographic who were in college in the early 00's(my generation) who were into the party/clubbing scene might put Dorrough's 1 or 2 songs in a higher bracket than D.O.C.

But D.O.C. funky enough record and that entire 1st album will remain as one of the best hip-hop records of all-time during that era. It was pretty big during that time period.

D.O.C. didn't sustain a level of popularity due to his accident that messed up his voice. Dorrough made gimmicky records with no long lasting substance and fizzled out quick. It's a difference. And D.O.C. after his accident contributed to some of the greatest records of all-time. Can't say the same for Dorrough.
No way. Ice cream paint job was an anthem. I was 8th-9th grade and in Louisiana at the time it broke. People knew every single word to that song. You are not giving enough credit for how much popularity that song had. It seemed like he was going to be the next big thing. Prob is he never followed up.

The Houston hip hop being embraced “in your face” and in gráfiti is more of its old school. But it seems to be that way too in LA and NY so I guess that’s just by default. The reason Dallas doesn’t probably has more to do with them never getting a very big breakout with a strong identity. Sure the “boogie movement” was a thing but it wasn’t that unique. Baton Rouge and Memphis had similar sounds already. And it never really broke out anyway even if it was original.

These days hip hop isn’t as regionally distinct as it used to be. Houston has just about as many stars right now as it ever did in any year and they aren’t grouped in like Paul Wall, UGk, slim thug, mike Jones etc are grouped.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Your second point is exactly all that needs to be said about hip hop today. Folks remember and hold DOC far higher than Dorrough. At least though that base their opinion on skilled artists.
DOC is 100% more skilled than Dorrough. I mentioned that above. Dorrough’s overall artistry and I hold further up than DOC

Old 02-02-2021, 10:06 AM

Houston hip-hop being more of the things in Dallas hip-hop isnt really because of that. Dallas has never had a break out moment with a unique culture & style and with sustainable popularity with it. That boogie BS wasn’t neither popular enough Nor 15 enough. It was too similar to other movements at the time.

I actually hope that Dallas does find it Mark someday. It would be a good look for Texas in two different major scenes existed in harmony. The way California has both LA gangsta rap history in the Bay Area hyphy music. That would be great For us. But the question is if it’s too late. These days regional see aren’t what they used to be

Old 02-02-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
No way. Ice cream paint job was an anthem. I was 8th-9th grade and in Louisiana at the time it broke. People knew every single word to that song. You are not giving enough credit for how much popularity that song had. It seemed like he was going to be the next big thing. Prob is he never followed up.

Meh. Bunny Hop was also an anthem. Heck, walk it out was also an anthem. There are many anthems per year but there are only very little classics. A classic is what DOC's funky enough was. The impact of that one song was felt dozens of years after it came out. Ice Cream Paint Job went away a few months after it came out.

I mean look at this comment
Quote:
Likewise, most people have no idea that the "West Coast Flow" was primarily based on the lyrical and writing skills of a rapper from Dallas, Texas. When The D.O.C. dropped this joint, every rapper in Cali rapped different thereafter.
You're not seeing that same impact with Dorrough. Sorry.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:

The Houston hip hop being embraced “in your face” and in gráfiti is more of its old school. But it seems to be that way too in LA and NY so I guess that’s just by default. The reason Dallas doesn’t probably has more to do with them never getting a very big breakout with a strong identity. Sure the “boogie movement” was a thing but it wasn’t that unique. Baton Rouge and Memphis had similar sounds already. And it never really broke out anyway even if it was original.

These days hip hop isn’t as regionally distinct as it used to be. Houston has just about as many stars right now as it ever did in any year and they aren’t grouped in like Paul Wall, UGk, slim thug, mike Jones etc are grouped.
I remember how big that song was. Dorrough had no impact outside of that though. He didn't influence anybody nor had an album that was even close to popular. Just a hit single. He's in a long line of forgotten artist with 1 hit. D.O.C. is unsung hero apart of Hip-hop culture that goes beyond one hit. He'll forever be tied to N.W.A./Death Row. There will be no movies or documentaries on Dorrough. No one will buy the film rights to tell the Ice Cream Paint Job: A Dorroughmuzik story. Nope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston