Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 01:26 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,234,622 times

Advertisements

We followed and had suburban areas handed to us in Houston on a platter. We didn’t realize what we had and sold out to move further out and loss power. It’s hard to gain power in the burbs as the old guard will fight to keep you from winning. Missouri City is an example - the old Mayor for decades got beat by a AA woman but she made some mistakes which didn’t help but opened the door for the old guard to backdoor in with the new minority group of wealth (Asian/Indian American) and now she’s out. We don’t fight as hard for whatever reason on local elections or in suburban areas like Houston does. The next counties over ain’t gonna go down easily as it’s easier in houston.

That’s the issue with Houston and Atlanta - transplants come into town but never embrace the past as much and want to live like where they came from and you never get ahead. Noting wrong with embracing where you came from but why we gotta keep adjusting when we were stronger and more unified in the past with less population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:31 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,839,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
We followed and had suburban areas handed to us in Houston on a platter. We didn’t realize what we had and sold out to move further out and loss power. It’s hard to gain power in the burbs as the old guard will fight to keep you from winning. Missouri City is an example - the old Mayor for decades got beat by a AA woman but she made some mistakes which didn’t help but opened the door for the old guard to backdoor in with the new minority group of wealth (Asian/Indian American) and now she’s out. We don’t fight as hard for whatever reason on local elections or in suburban areas like Houston does. The next counties over ain’t gonna go down easily as it’s easier in houston.

That’s the issue with Houston and Atlanta - transplants come into town but never embrace the past as much and want to live like where they came from and you never get ahead. Noting wrong with embracing where you came from but why we gotta keep adjusting when we were stronger and more unified in the past with less population?
Preach!

Old 12-27-2020, 02:08 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:

[b]That’s the issue with Houston and Atlanta - transplants come into town but never embrace the past as much and want to live like where they came from and you never get ahead. Noting wrong with embracing where you came from but why we gotta keep adjusting when we were stronger and more unified in the past with less population?[b]
That's the issue with America. Find me a city in this country that doesn't have this issue? Transplants generally move into cities for economic opportunities and better QOL. I can use where I'm from as an example. Black East Texans specifically will move to DFW, Houston, Austin and take advantage of the opportunities the big cities provide it's citizens. And will prosper because we know that where we come from those opportunities are not abundant as such. With that said Transplant or native it doesn't matter, if you look at the opportunities that present itself you'll take advantage of the environment.

Your talking about they were stronger and more unified in the past but those days are over and done with. Now you either ADJUST, ADAPT and create the environment you want to be in or you continue talking about back in my days. My wife a Houstonian and I a transplant have created our own businesses and have helped other Black start ups/ entrepreneurs start businesses here in the city. Also associated with like minds doing the same exact thing. I get tired of our people stating the problems without coming up with solutions and acting on them. It literally does nothing.

And honestly as unified and strong as our communities were in the past, after integration our forefathers pretty much gave up that unity and strength to pursue a more integrated city. So we inherited that we didn't create it.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:39 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,234,622 times
We allowed integration but separate but equal was better but folks knew financially it was going to cripple non-minorities. I was reading TSU was founded with intentions they had everything UT had. Folks got in place and saw if that happened it makes TSU powerful and everyone else nearby would struggle so they mysteriously limit TSU’s professional school offerings to stymie growth and then push integration to kill growth

We keep creating same problems - we’re given nice areas - a faction rather move further out for self reasons and then the areas we move change so they move our further. If we stop moving and build areas up you have power.

How can we generate enough black wealth - not just small pockets where we can get financing instantly like other groups? We need to be able to purchase more land in our communities and have a tax base. I think letting churches take large swaths knowing there’s no property tax base is a major issue

Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,598,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherperp View Post
Considering a job in Houston and I'm AA male 25 from Philly. Seems like there's a big Black population in Houston. I was wondering is it more Southern Blacks like you see in Memphis, Charlotte, etc. or more urban/liberal like in Atlanta, Washington, etc?

Philly was the latter, and Jacksonville the former, imo. Thoughts?
Houston is a city that has a feel of being divided almost evenly into thirds evenly among % of Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics. Per US Census.gov 2019, Blacks are 22%, Whites 24%, and Hispanics 45%, and the remainder are Asians and others.

Having lived in Houston at one time and still have family whom I visit there, IMO Houston is more Southern Blacks (in terms of dialect/drawl, culture, perspective, religious affiliations) like the cities of the deep south even though there are a number of Black transplants from other areas. Having visited the other cities you've mentioned a number of times but never having lived in those, I'd say that Houston is more like Atlanta, not DC. Actually, quite a few people relocate from ATL to HOU and back and vice-versa.

The thing about living in Texas that one should be prepared for is that Texas pride (and the Texas flag) is ubiquitous. Unlike other southern cities/states, Texans' pride is based on being "Texan" as opposed to being Southern.

Old 12-28-2020, 08:18 AM

402 posts, read 373,156 times
Houston will be a great move, and is on par with DC and Atlanta, and ahead of cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:48 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
We allowed integration but separate but equal was better but folks knew financially it was going to cripple non-minorities. I was reading TSU was founded with intentions they had everything UT had. Folks got in place and saw if that happened it makes TSU powerful and everyone else nearby would struggle so they mysteriously limit TSU’s professional school offerings to stymie growth and then push integration to kill growth

We keep creating same problems - we’re given nice areas - a faction rather move further out for self reasons and then the areas we move change so they move our further. If we stop moving and build areas up you have power.

How can we generate enough black wealth - not just small pockets where we can get financing instantly like other groups? We need to be able to purchase more land in our communities and have a tax base. I think letting churches take large swaths knowing there’s no property tax base is a major issue
I don't disagree but I just ask are you doing anything to try and fix the issues that your speaking on? I know a few Black individuals can't change decades of structural racism but I also feel at some point regular citizens eventually end up hitting a brick wall and find themselves repeating the obvious to the choir. I don't want to change the subject on the topic but these problems start at the very top. And the Black representation we have here in this county at the very "top" clearly don't move in the interest of the common people. They rather get along to play along instead of shake up the system in our favor. So after awhile I get tired of stating the obvious and focus on building wealth for my family and doing as much as I can with like minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Houston is a city that has a feel of being divided almost evenly into thirds evenly among % of Whites, Blacks, and Hispanics. Per US Census.gov 2019, Blacks are 22%, Whites 24%, and Hispanics 45%, and the remainder are Asians and others.

Having lived in Houston at one time and still have family whom I visit there, IMO Houston is more Southern Blacks (in terms of dialect/drawl, culture, perspective, religious affiliations) like the cities of the deep south even though there are a number of Black transplants from other areas. Having visited the other cities you've mentioned a number of times but never having lived in those, I'd say that Houston is more like Atlanta, not DC. Actually, quite a few people relocate from ATL to HOU and back and vice-versa.

The thing about living in Texas that one should be prepared for is that Texas pride (and the Texas flag) is ubiquitous. Unlike other southern cities/states, Texans' pride is based on being "Texan" as opposed to being Southern.
The state pride is definitely a thing that I didn't really realize till I moved to Atlanta and came back to Texas. Rarely saw the state flag or even heard people boast about Georgia. With that said I think a transplant will be fine living in the big cities. State pride is still there but it's less annoying in those cities with the exception of maybe San Antonio and Ft.Worth.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:27 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
Quote:
If you think that way, you really need to read some history books
Tell me one success story that happened in the black community thanks to segregation?
You don't know that segregation was government sponsored discrimination against black people to keep them poor and living in poor areas?

If you don't understand what created the problem, you are never going to know how to fix that problem

Old 12-29-2020, 08:49 AM

4,753 posts, read 2,999,394 times
Quote:
I'm a native but something I'm seeing is concerning.

First of all - being black in Htown you can make significant progress but like most places its still cliquish. The fastest way to hit the social ladder is tag along with politicians, hold a spot in a popular church or be a person who is in the mix in terms of owning popular businesses/rapper (i.e. Turkey Leg Hut) but a lot of those folks were shady to begin with

However, we're getting spoiled and forgetting where we came from.

Most blacks started inside the loop or maybe the country and came to Houston. A lot moved to the suburbs in the 1980s (Missouri City, etc.) and kids grew up and settled further out in the suburbs such as a Pearland/Manvel.

We had power in high schools and local school system but gave it up to keep chasing the newer suburbs where we have no power.

The areas we grew up in inside the loop is now so overpriced blacks are getting pushed out to places where we would've never thought where there's no public transportation, culture, etc.
If Blacks are moving further out now, does it mean they're going back from where they came from if their roots are in the country?

I can see some of your points. I had family nearly in tears when Yates was torn down, which would not have happened had there been a stronger community, including politicians who are supposedly in it for the best interests of "their people". The Yates HS change was a strong cater to the growing white population and literally what has it done? Why were Black politicians trying to appease them in "our" community?

That's where the biggest problem is. Not with young millennial Blacks starting a family and wanting a bigger house with nice schools. Missouri City / Fresno and maybe the Atascocita area are the only Houston suburbs which are well to do and majority Black. The % of Blacks in South Katy, Cypress, even the Woodlands is increasing by a lot. Wouldn't you want more representation in the best areas of the metro? Why leave them to every other group but Blacks just because a few areas intown have seen better days back in the 50s-70s? There's more than enough room for both to prosper for Blacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If you think that way, you really need to read some history books
Tell me one success story that happened in the black community thanks to segregation?
You don't know that segregation was government sponsored discrimination against black people to keep them poor and living in poor areas?

If you don't understand what created the problem, you are never going to know how to fix that problem
The one issue I have with this is Blacks eventually created thriving commercial districts in many areas which were destroyed due to raids, freeway construction, etc.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The one issue I have with this is Blacks eventually created thriving commercial districts in many areas which were destroyed due to raids, freeway construction, etc.
that's what I said on my first post
it's foolish to think that "power is in the school districts"

The people that have power are politicians and judges (also politicians)
How can black people get "up there" without wealth = education

You can use as an example the nigerian-american community, who are known for taking pride on getting good grades and getting college degrees.

Why Nigerian Immigrants Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S.

Education is indeed paramount to everything in Nigerian households. So much so that there is ubiquitous aphorism within the Nigerian community which asserts that the best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other material things, but it is a good education.
Such regard for higher education helps to explain why Nigerian-Americans are more likely to be educated than the average American.

Last edited by Dopo; 12-29-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston