Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2021, 12:20 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,062 times

Advertisements

I moved to Houston from NYC (my hometown) back in 2015. Houston has far more in common with Atlanta and Dallas than it does with Philly or any northern metro. One major difference I noticed is that neighborhoods in Houston are much more racially diverse than the average neighborhood in a major northern city. For example, despite growing up in NYC proper and attending public schools, I didn't have any white classmates until my first semester of college nor did I have any white neighbors until I moved to Texas. Also homes here tend to be newer, more affordable and spacious. Many of the black people here in Houston, tend to live in places that match their income rather than their ethnicity (class over race) although ironically, their social circles tend to be racially exclusive. I also think because of the lower cost of living, a larger percentage of black people in Houston are middle class vs. the northern cities, where black folks are mostly working class and low-income, which I think is one of the primary attractions that northern blacks have towards Houston and other parts of the south.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 12:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
that's what I said on my first post
it's foolish to think that "power is in the school districts"

The people that have power are politicians and judges (also politicians)
How can black people get "up there" without wealth = education

You can use as an example the nigerian-american community, who are known for taking pride on getting good grades and getting college degrees.

Why Nigerian Immigrants Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S.

Education is indeed paramount to everything in Nigerian households. So much so that there is ubiquitous aphorism within the Nigerian community which asserts that the best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other material things, but it is a good education.
Such regard for higher education helps to explain why Nigerian-Americans are more likely to be educated than the average American.
These kind of comparisons are misleading because it's not apples to apples. Foreigners who were already considered upper-middle class in their home countries, who were also hand-picked by US immigration authorities for LEGAL residency in a country that is 8,000+ miles away means that if they are able to afford a $1,000USD plane ticket + immigration fees + substantial cash savings, all in a weaker currency, then these same immigrants who choose to come here are not going to be "average" in any way shape or form. The truth is that despite lower educational attainment, the everyday black American, is far wealthier and has more disposable income than the everyday person in Nigeria. A black American with just a HS diploma can immigrate to Nigeria and become middle class on a Walmart cashier's salary. There's simply no comparison.

You also have to take into account the resources that the US government grants to African migrants that it doesn't necessary extend in equal numbers to native black Americans. For example, African immigrants are the majority of the black student body in many Ivy League schools, despite being only first-generation and making up less than 10 percent of the overall black American population. That sort of discrepancy skews the numbers.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:54 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
It's a tag along if you want to climb the social ladder. I have a cousin who wants to move up from the finance industry, goes to a popular church and is now befriending influential political people (met a judge in church) got social gathering invites before Covid and such.

IMO, the REAL problem with the community is the instant gratification. We don't overall have enough money to be pretending like we do. The minute most Black people get some money, they lease/buy an expensive car and get in debt and keep turning cars over and status flashing things like clothes and purse and shoes.

The problem with this is, while it's okay...in a way. There is no cushion. There aren't well to do parents to back them up if things go south, or family and what not. I'm in my 30s. It's interesting to see the new hires white girls all of 25-27 driving up in a flashy BMW sports car and 3 caret engagement ring and wedding set. These babies are fresh out of college and grad school and are making money and saving BUT they're spending it on cars and shoes and purses and jewelry.

BUT they were also the A&M grads who's parents bought them a new Infinity SUV/Cherokee, $30k SUV as a graduation present AND then turned around and funded that wedding at the Hotel Zaza or Chateau Cocomar.

Mom and Dad have the $$$ so they can be secure living like the Jones at all of 25-26. Black people want that so badly and live it....without the cushion and never get ahead because the debt starts piling then it's off to the newest car model, the newest iPhone, the newest purse brand because LV was so 2012 or whatever.
DejaBlue, this is an excellent post!

Moment of transparency: I'm well into late middle-age and I've seen the financial scenarios you've described (how it plays out for the White peers and how it plays/played out for my fellow Black peers, family, & friends) transpire generationally over and over again. I've traveled extensively with work over the years so I have some context to back up what you're saying. It doesn't matter what city: Dallas, Houston, ATL, Los Angeles, Sacramento, SF (the 5 five Blacks that are left), Oakland, Denver, NYC, Newark, Philly, Wash DC, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, Charlotte, Detroit. I've been to them all and have fellow African-Americans family or friends in all. The bottom line is the debt scenario and lack of assets is the same as its been; most African-Americans keep repeating the same financial behavior that keeps them saddled with debt, and no cushion, regardless of where they live in the country.

I first noticed this phenomena as a young college student as it reflected my own family and friend's experiences. This is still the reality decades later for I'd say about 90% of African-Americans across the country.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 01-09-2021 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston