Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 11:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
that's what I said on my first post
it's foolish to think that "power is in the school districts"

The people that have power are politicians and judges (also politicians)
How can black people get "up there" without wealth = education

You can use as an example the nigerian-american community, who are known for taking pride on getting good grades and getting college degrees.

Why Nigerian Immigrants Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S.

Education is indeed paramount to everything in Nigerian households. So much so that there is ubiquitous aphorism within the Nigerian community which asserts that the best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other material things, but it is a good education.
Such regard for higher education helps to explain why Nigerian-Americans are more likely to be educated than the average American.
Nigerians - won't even go there. That's a whole different issue. They've rewrote the book on the some things when it comes to making money.

Success due to segregation? The communities were more vibrant, more pride in schools you HAD to spend money locally in the community. We had our own everything pretty much. Separate but equal was set up for us to succeed as we could've got the same funding but they knew. Thurgood Marshall knew that and got integration as that was an easier way to keep wealth from flowing into the communities.

As soon as integration happened what happened? the folks began to segregate again. Look at HISD going north. They integrate, those schools turn black, we follow to Aldine, those schools turn, we follow to spring, those schools turn. Can't go any further now as its about economic segregation as if you can afford to live in the Woodlands then come on in but history has shown it ain't easy for blacks or they choose to go elsewhere.

Why keep running when you had it? Certain parts of Katy and Cypress I would rather stay in Alief than buy a more expensive house with the same mentality. But they got us out there so now you can go in and reclaim the land for cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
that's what I said on my first post
it's foolish to think that "power is in the school districts"

The people that have power are politicians and judges (also politicians)
How can black people get "up there" without wealth = education

You can use as an example the nigerian-american community, who are known for taking pride on getting good grades and getting college degrees.

Why Nigerian Immigrants Are The Most Successful Ethnic Group in the U.S.

Education is indeed paramount to everything in Nigerian households. So much so that there is ubiquitous aphorism within the Nigerian community which asserts that the best inheritance that a parent can give to their children is not jewelry nor any other material things, but it is a good education.
Such regard for higher education helps to explain why Nigerian-Americans are more likely to be educated than the average American.
Facts. Nigerian-Americans are usually very focused on education, often to the exclusion of other things that we native Blacks generally find important. The entire family will go without certain things if money needs to be used to fund a good education for a family member. I've seen this firsthand on multiple occasions. There are generally no excuses accepted for why you cannot succeed. This attitude is, always has been, and always will be the key to success - the idea that come hell or high water, I will get an education and succeed even if I have to sacrifice other things in my life to do so. And the only way that Black people will move forward here (or anywhere) is to take education more seriously than anything else, as these other groups have done. The world is competitive - if you can't compete in value-added areas you will be left behind. Period.

When we talk about the schools themselves, the entire reason we as Black people have to keep "following" to better schools is because the population of kids that remains in the schools where middle-class and above people flee generally have parents that do not value education. That type of value system naturally trickles down to the kids and creates "bad" schools. It's not like the rest of the parents don't understand what's going on - no parent that actually cares about their kids futures are going to have their kids in schools where the majority of kids have parents that do not care. It just does not work.

It all has to start with the parents. Until their attitudes about what's really important to our kids changes, this cycle will continue. Things like unequal school funding, poor facilities, bad teachers, etc. are certainly factors as well, but a lot of those issues tend to fester longer and remain unsolved due to the very same parental apathy. Anecdotally, I think that entire situation is slowly improving over time, but I'm also very aware that the Black people I tend to associate value those things immensely (which is why I associate with them lol). That's the answer though - education. It has to be the most important cultural focus for us imo. Pretty much every other solution is some form of treating the symptoms and not the disease.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,183 times
The reality is that some black people don't value education because it's seen as being white. A black person that wants more out of life is seen as a federal offense among some members of the black community. Much of that has to do with the environment: Parents don't value education, so the child(ren) learn that education isn't important. How many parents in the ghetto stay on their child(ren) about their grades? I can count on one hand the number of black parents that attended PTO meetings at my old schools. Teachers worked with parents and students who valued their education. Some of the most influential, successful black Houstonians went to bad schools and made it, so it doesn't matter if you go to an inner-city school or a good school, it boils down to your mindset. If you value education, you can go to the worst school in Houston or the nation and still be successful. You can go to the best schools in Houston or anywhere in the nation, but if you're not about your education, you'll fail. Many people forget that there's intelligent students in ghetto schools nationwide. It's nothing for smart kids to excel at good schools because the support system is there; it's expected for them to succeed. I would rather read about an honor student from the ghetto who went on to be a successful businessman, doctor or lawyer because of what they went through for that success.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:52 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Education is one aspect but it's not the end all be all. I mean I don't think Black impoverished communities can be fixed by just simply getting an education. It's bigger than that. The problem is structural racism. And the response from Black Americans to structural racism is a problematic one. You have those in political positions of power who don't do enough to fully represent and fight for what's needed to really elevate these communities out of poverty. The Congressional Black Caucus serves no real purpose but to make sure Black political figures remain in their position of "power" and get symbolism or representation without any real effective change. Generally Black people are too dependent on a political party that has never really benefited predominately Black communities(no I'm not a republican). So when you lack political clout and access to wealth and information you'll become vulnerable to miseducation, healthcare and all the necessary tools a community needs in order to be sufficient.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Education is one aspect but it's not the end all be all. I mean I don't think Black impoverished communities can be fixed by just simply getting an education. It's bigger than that. The problem is structural racism. And the response from Black Americans to structural racism is a problematic one. You have those in political positions of power who don't do enough to fully represent and fight for what's needed to really elevate these communities out of poverty. The Congressional Black Caucus serves no real purpose but to make sure Black political figures remain in their position of "power" and get symbolism or representation without any real effective change. Generally Black people are too dependent on a political party that has never really benefited predominately Black communities(no I'm not a republican). So when you lack political clout and access to wealth and information you'll become vulnerable to miseducation, healthcare and all the necessary tools a community needs in order to be sufficient.
Facts. I think some Black Americans have lost their fire, meaning they don’t have the same will to fight as those who came before them. Most Black leadership is out for self, they could care less about the struggles of the black community.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:36 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I'm a native but something I'm seeing is concerning.

First of all - being black in Htown you can make significant progress but like most places its still cliquish. The fastest way to hit the social ladder is tag along with politicians, hold a spot in a popular church or be a person who is in the mix in terms of owning popular businesses/rapper (i.e. Turkey Leg Hut) but a lot of those folks were shady to begin with

However, we're getting spoiled and forgetting where we came from.

Most blacks started inside the loop or maybe the country and came to Houston. A lot moved to the suburbs in the 1980s (Missouri City, etc.) and kids grew up and settled further out in the suburbs such as a Pearland/Manvel.

We had power in high schools and local school system but gave it up to keep chasing the newer suburbs where we have no power.

The areas we grew up in inside the loop is now so overpriced blacks are getting pushed out to places where we would've never thought where there's no public transportation, culture, etc.

The real truth here is the Loop. The ONLY people moving back to the Loop are white people running from ESL students in the suburbs. Not the black children. The suburb schools are slowly being dominated by ESL students. I have many teacher friends. Parents are sly but subtlly up in arms about work being watered down because so many students are ESL/TELPAS students so they get XYZ accomedations. Apparently now, being ESL in a certain area entitles students to being read on on assessments as if it were a disability. This is typically reserved for students with learning disabilities.

Quote:
The average Black transplant don’t have to tag alone with politicians or go to church or own a business or be a rapper to socialize. I’m an atheist, not into mixing and mingling with local politicians and don’t own a brick and mortar and found socializing in Houston fairly easy. In my experience cities with a bunch of transplants tend to be the easiest to move within social circles.

And Houstons no different than most major cities in America. I know it’s hard for natives of these cities to grasp that. When I moved to Atlanta(a city gentrifying more than Houston) that’s all I would hear from a lot of natives. It’ll never go back to the old days so Black folks better learn how to adjust and make the change they wanna see or stay stuck in what use to be.

It's a tag along if you want to climb the social ladder. I have a cousin who wants to move up from the finance industry, goes to a popular church and is now befriending influential political people (met a judge in church) got social gathering invites before Covid and such.

IMO, the REAL problem with the community is the instant gratification. We don't overall have enough money to be pretending like we do. The minute most Black people get some money, they lease/buy an expensive car and get in debt and keep turning cars over and status flashing things like clothes and purse and shoes.

The problem with this is, while it's okay...in a way. There is no cushion. There aren't well to do parents to back them up if things go south, or family and what not. I'm in my 30s. It's interesting to see the new hires white girls all of 25-27 driving up in a flashy BMW sports car and 3 caret engagement ring and wedding set. These babies are fresh out of college and grad school and are making money and saving BUT they're spending it on cars and shoes and purses and jewelry.

BUT they were also the A&M grads who's parents bought them a new Infinity SUV/Cherokee, $30k SUV as a graduation present AND then turned around and funded that wedding at the Hotel Zaza or Chateau Cocomar.

Mom and Dad have the $$$ so they can be secure living like the Jones at all of 25-26. Black people want that so badly and live it....without the cushion and never get ahead because the debt starts piling then it's off to the newest car model, the newest iPhone, the newest purse brand because LV was so 2012 or whatever.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post

It's a tag along if you want to climb the social ladder. I have a cousin who wants to move up from the finance industry, goes to a popular church and is now befriending influential political people (met a judge in church) got social gathering invites before Covid and such.

IMO, the REAL problem with the community is the instant gratification. We don't overall have enough money to be pretending like we do. The minute most Black people get some money, they lease/buy an expensive car and get in debt and keep turning cars over and status flashing things like clothes and purse and shoes.

The problem with this is, while it's okay...in a way. There is no cushion. There aren't well to do parents to back them up if things go south, or family and what not. I'm in my 30s. It's interesting to see the new hires white girls all of 25-27 driving up in a flashy BMW sports car and 3 caret engagement ring and wedding set. These babies are fresh out of college and grad school and are making money and saving BUT they're spending it on cars and shoes and purses and jewelry.

BUT they were also the A&M grads who's parents bought them a new Infinity SUV/Cherokee, $30k SUV as a graduation present AND then turned around and funded that wedding at the Hotel Zaza or Chateau Cocomar.

Mom and Dad have the $$$ so they can be secure living like the Jones at all of 25-26. Black people want that so badly and live it....without the cushion and never get ahead because the debt starts piling then it's off to the newest car model, the newest iPhone, the newest purse brand because LV was so 2012 or whatever.
To be honest I guess I don't understand the church bit because I haven't been a member of a church in over 15 years. So I'm totally out the loop when it comes to moving up the social ladder via church. I'm also an atheist so ya know.

Still ever since I moved to Houston I had no problem socializing with people and moving up the ladder. Even that description of Black Houstonians your speaking of has become foreign to me since I don't associate with the types. But my point is it's enough variety where you can pretty much find your own tribe of Black Houstonians and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Now I can say I've made friends through a variety ways in Houston. Having Family here helped tremendously and probably gave me a cheat code. Also my wife is a native so I've developed friendships through her as well. Still in my 10 years living here I've probably made just as many relationships around networking events/ community activism/ entertainment industry/ arts scene.

Now I do tend to notice that some born and raised Houstonians are not really hip to what goes in in their city from a socially active point of view. Some people are just stuck in their own little block, community or whatever. Some natives are not as active in their own city and don't like change.

I think some Houstonians take what they have for granted in that sense. Like I come from a small city in East Texas where weekly networking events and social events don't exist at all. There's little variety and if your a new face you stick out for better or for worst.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:02 PM

Houston is big enough to where there’s something for everyone. If you’re into the arts, there’s a group for that. Car enthusiast? There’s a group for that, and so on.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
Quote:
To be honest I guess I don't understand the church bit because I haven't been a member of a church in over 15 years. So I'm totally out the loop when it comes to moving up the social ladder via church. I'm also an atheist so ya know.

Still ever since I moved to Houston I had no problem socializing with people and moving up the ladder. Even that description of Black Houstonians your speaking of has become foreign to me since I don't associate with the types. But my point is it's enough variety where you can pretty much find your own tribe of Black Houstonians and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Now I can say I've made friends through a variety ways in Houston. Having Family here helped tremendously and probably gave me a cheat code. Also my wife is a native so I've developed friendships through her as well. Still in my 10 years living here I've probably made just as many relationships around networking events/ community activism/ entertainment industry/ arts scene.

Now I do tend to notice that some born and raised Houstonians are not really hip to what goes in in their city from a socially active point of view. Some people are just stuck in their own little block, community or whatever. Some natives are not as active in their own city and don't like change.

I think some Houstonians take what they have for granted in that sense. Like I come from a small city in East Texas where weekly networking events and social events don't exist at all. There's little variety and if your a new face you stick out for better or for worst.
Yep, I know several folks who ride Sheila Jackson Lee's and other politician coattails. Everywhere she's at, they are at snapping the pictures to be seen.

I saw Windsor Village at its peak when Kirby John Caldwell was the "man" and you had folks such as Warren Moon and other black professionals there. Caldwell got in good with the Bush family and the church and other areas around it began expanding as that was an inner circle few expected him to get in but it was done for a reason. You got in good with Caldwell then, you probably got a business loan from a bank, etc.

The church is a popular spot as its a cross section of folks you can hit up instantly. At a big and popular church, you could be in the same room as the connected pastor, the local state rep, the bank CEO, the lawyer, etc. There's a reason the church holds so much power in Houston - especially inside the Loop but all over town now.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:50 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,223,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherperp View Post
Considering a job in Houston and I'm AA male 25 from Philly. Seems like there's a big Black population in Houston. I was wondering is it more Southern Blacks like you see in Memphis, Charlotte, etc. or more urban/liberal like in Atlanta, Washington, etc?

Philly was the latter, and Jacksonville the former, imo. Thoughts?
I live in Houston for 37 years. This city is extremely diverse. There are people from all over the world here there are all the races. There are northern blacks there are southern blacks there are blacks from the Midlands there are blacks from Alaska. There are black people from Jamaica and all over the continent of Africa. This is an intercontinental hub. As far as what's more it's hard to call I don't think the city's broken down like that.

As long as you can live with the humidity and the heat I think you'll be pretty happy here. Make sure you have a good AC in your car life is miserable without it, especially in the early fall and late spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston