Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 11:58 AM

5,647 posts, read 4,992,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A MUD is a Municipal Utility District, generally created by an election with 2 or 3 voters living in temporary housing(trailers) located within the boundaries of the proposed district. Once the MUD is established, and a Board of Directors elected, debt is issued to fund the construction of infrastructure within the district like roads, sewers, water treatment plants, water delivery pipes, etc. The debt is repaid using taxes imposed on property owners within the district. As houses are sold, taxes are also used to fund capital expenditures related to maintenance of facilities and construction of additional facilities if that becomes necessary.

The taxes per property are based on a rate per $100 of valuation, just like all of the other taxing entity rates. The rate is also based on calculations of how much money is required to fund debt payment and other costs. Regular operating costs for items like water usage and trash pickup are recovered through monthly bills.

As more homes and businesses are constructed, the tax rate should go down. My parents bought in Katy in 1982, and the MUD rate was something like45 cents, it's now under 30 cents. New developments, like Bridgeland, often have MUD rates over a dollar, which means a $300,000 property will pay $3,000 in taxes per year, or more. That's in addition to school taxes, county taxes, emergency services taxes, levee district taxes, etc.

One advantage of MUD taxes is that the home prices aren't increased by the costs of building the infrastructure, which could add $30,000 to $100,000 to a house.

A colleague at work bought a house about 8 years ago that was valued within $10,000 of mine. The combination of MUD tax and higher ISD tax rate meant she paid $4,000 more than I did for my house in the Greater Heights area. One reason I personally will not move to a new MPC is the much higher taxes. When you throw in HOA fees of $1,200 a year, and overbearing HOA management, I'll stay where I am in Houston, with an HOA that is benign and costs $40 a year.
Just to make sure this is clear, the MUD issues debt to reimburse the developer for having funded the infrastructure up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 12:30 PM

15,626 posts, read 7,659,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Just to make sure this is clear, the MUD issues debt to reimburse the developer for having funded the infrastructure up front.
Thanks for adding that.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 15,804 times
Thank you everyone for all the explanations. Wow, so I guess I was calculating it right! Living in a community with no mud tax is very appealing right now.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:51 AM

160 posts, read 401,200 times
Not very many new home communities with no mud tax

Old 02-04-2021, 08:01 AM

62 posts, read 64,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc50 View Post
Not very many new home communities with no mud tax
Only ones I could find were LakeHouse and Enclave at Longwood

Old 02-08-2021, 12:10 PM

19 posts, read 15,804 times
After doing more digging (Google) I found out that Grayson Woods mud tax is $0.64 but there is an additional $.90/$100 to pay for the bonds needed to purchase the infrastructure to build it! That is why it is so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston