Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 01:48 PM

509 posts, read 735,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Most state schools are about 10K in-state. Many private schools have merit awards for good students, especially if you're not insistent on one of the high-prestige schools. I'm doing my research.
I believe the difference between the two is TUITION AND FEES versus FULL COST OF ATTENDANCE (including room and board).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 PM

2,001 posts, read 760,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Most state schools are about 10K in-state. Many private schools have merit awards for good students, especially if you're not insistent on one of the high-prestige schools. I'm doing my research.
Not being judgey at all, was curious what path the typical kid takes with a 120k high school diploma.

After seeing the responses, it makes me scratch my head even more and It makes me believe this is one of those keeping up with the Joneses issues. Especially if you say your not interested in a high prestige school. You can get a full ride excelling in public school.

As someone else said. Spend your money how you want to.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:54 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
I'm not sure where you're getting "keeping up with the Jones," I didn't see that anywhere. Personally, I think the whole prestige college thing is a huge scam, and I've worked in higher education for 30 years. What I'm looking for in a high school is a good education and good preparation for college. I have one kid in public, one in private. What I'm looking for in a college is a good education and a good fit for the kid. My interest in private school has nothing to do with prestige, image, keeping up with anyone or getting into a "top" college (since I think that's BS).

Old 04-01-2021, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 8,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid1228 View Post
We applied to Kinkaid for 9th grade and was wait-pooled. What is the general percentage of kids getting admitted off the wait-pool? Anyone/family have personal experience or knows someone who has?
Have you heard of any movement? I know one kid with a sibling was pulled from the wait pool 2 years ago, so it does happen. Sometimes later than expected.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in Houston View Post
Have you heard of any movement? I know one kid with a sibling was pulled from the wait pool 2 years ago, so it does happen. Sometimes later than expected.
Nope, not yet! On the looks of it, we're not expecting much. We've secured our spot for Awty!

Old 04-13-2021, 07:32 AM

64 posts, read 58,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkid1228 View Post
Nope, not yet! On the looks of it, we're not expecting much. We've secured our spot for Awty!
I actually think the way this parent went about it was correct; wait till high school to fully ensure your child is the type to benefit from a private school education. I went to private K-8 then transitioned back to public for high school simply because my parents and I decided I was not the type of student to truly benefit from being private. I cared about getting a mixture of A's and B's and playing sports; that was it. My parents fell into the trap of saying if we start him in Kinder he'll grow into some Harvard bound student which just wasn't the case. By 9th grade you know your child and their strengths. Congrats on Awty, it's a fantastic school.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:38 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmcclel View Post
I actually think the way this parent went about it was correct; wait till high school to fully ensure your child is the type to benefit from a private school education. I went to private K-8 then transitioned back to public for high school simply because my parents and I decided I was not the type of student to truly benefit from being private. I cared about getting a mixture of A's and B's and playing sports; that was it. My parents fell into the trap of saying if we start him in Kinder he'll grow into some Harvard bound student which just wasn't the case. By 9th grade you know your child and their strengths. Congrats on Awty, it's a fantastic school.
Hot take: There isn't a "correct" way to do it! Do what works for your family.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:09 AM

186 posts, read 188,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
And plenty of Katy ISD (and other districts in the Houston area) families would disagree with you as well.
Im not sure what you are arguing here. Are Katy ISD schools good? Yes I believe they are good but good is all relative. If a family can afford to put their kid in private school and their values are in line with what they believe private school brings, then whats the problem?

I for one, believe diversity and learning to deal with that diversity is more important and thats why I chose to send my kids to public school. But I can certainly understand and see the upside of private school. If you think the curriculum and focus given from a school from Katy ISD is the same as Kinkaid or St Johns, then Im sorry but you are mistaken.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:13 AM

186 posts, read 188,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
Not being judgey at all, was curious what path the typical kid takes with a 120k high school diploma.

After seeing the responses, it makes me scratch my head even more and It makes me believe this is one of those keeping up with the Joneses issues. Especially if you say your not interested in a high prestige school. You can get a full ride excelling in public school.

As someone else said. Spend your money how you want to.
Of course you can get a full ride attending public school. I was a national merit scholar and got a full ride to a well respected school. And you know what? When I got there, the kids coming from private schools were able to excel greater than I could at that level. They seemed more organized, they didnt have to learn a certain depth of critical thinking, etc. I inherently could do some of these things but I never got the formal training so they definitely had the upper hand in that aspect and lots went on to be great engineers and specialized doctors. I went a different path and did ok for myself in business more so for my social awareness and EQ. To each their own path.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:21 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblackie View Post
Im not sure what you are arguing here. Are Katy ISD schools good? Yes I believe they are good but good is all relative. If a family can afford to put their kid in private school and their values are in line with what they believe private school brings, then whats the problem?

I for one, believe diversity and learning to deal with that diversity is more important and thats why I chose to send my kids to public school. But I can certainly understand and see the upside of private school. If you think the curriculum and focus given from a school from Katy ISD is the same as Kinkaid or St Johns, then Im sorry but you are mistaken.
The school your kid goes to doesn't automatically make them "smarter" than any other kid.
Sorry, but I refuse to ever accept that belief. I don't care how expensive the school is.
It all comes down to parental involvement, the importance the parents place on education, and the work ethic from the student.
Most of that comes from the home and not what is taught at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston