Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,626 times

Advertisements

We applied to Kinkaid for 9th grade and was wait-pooled. What is the general percentage of kids getting admitted off the wait-pool? Anyone/family have personal experience or knows someone who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,385 times
I heard that if a kid declined the offer, they would find a kid with similar profile from the waitpool. What is your kid’s profile look like? Some kids got in both SJS and KK and would free up some spots.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:35 AM

86 posts, read 132,788 times
I would say that this year is probably different from most other years. I haven't yet heard about the situation at Kinkaid, but my guess is that they're playing very conservative this year since many schools are still not sure what next fall will look like. The best I can say is make sure that they know your family is still interested -they will want to give open spots to someone they know will accept, and then make sure you're checking with your Option B in case Kinkaid doesn't open up a spot for your child. Best of luck to your family!

Old 03-15-2021, 11:43 AM

305 posts, read 265,499 times
I have nothing to offer....but I just looked at their web site because I've heard the name mentioned for private school in the past. Their tuition for two years of elementary school costs more than my 4-year degree from UofH. Yikes!

Old 03-15-2021, 06:30 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,430 times
My daughter entered Kinkaid in 9th grade. The wait list usually moves some at Kinkaid because most people accepted to St. John's and Kinkaid will choose St. John's. However, Kinkaid will then try to fill the slot with a similar candidate to the one that chose another school. For example if a football player chooses another school, Kinkaid may pick another football player from the wait list. If a talented violinist chooses another school, Kinkaid may try to choose another violinist, etc. Kinkaid tries to keep the number of girls and boys in the class relatively even. Also, if there is a legacy left on the wait list, Kinkaid may pull the legacy off the list. Plan for your child to attend another school, make a deposit at the other school near the deadline, and get excited about your other options. If something opens at Kinkaid, then you have a choice to make.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,626 times
Thank you so much y'all! I feel much more informed now. We did get an acceptance letter from Awty (our second-choice school), however, we're still leaning towards Kinkaid because Awty students are known to be pretty transient.

Old 03-19-2021, 03:03 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,216,477 times
Throw or bounce a ball well with grades and no wait list lol

Old 03-19-2021, 06:43 AM

2,001 posts, read 760,597 times
So after spending 120,000 in tuition for a highly coveted High School diploma, where does the average student from these pretentious private schools typically go to college?

Old 03-19-2021, 06:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
So after spending 120,000 in tuition for a highly coveted High School diploma, where does the average student from these pretentious private schools typically go to college?
I can't ever see myself spending that much money for my kids to go to a private school just to have them go to a state school like UT, A&M or UH. LOL

They would damn near have to be guaranteed a spot at a Harvard or Yale for me to even consider.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:09 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I can't ever see myself spending that much money for my kids to go to a private school just to have them go to a state school like UT, A&M or UH. LOL

They would damn near have to be guaranteed a spot at a Harvard or Yale for me to even consider.
There are many other reasons to attend a top private secondary school, beside admission to a name-brand university. You've got the wrong end of the handle.

And as far as attending university, we all know that there are students at state schools who glide through with the "gentleman's C" and end up selling cars; and there are students who take advantage of every opportunity available (and there are many) and obtain a top quality education. Many A&M graduates are better educated than many Harvard or Yale graduates. The chance of a student being one of those highly motivated ones that comes out of the state school red hot, is going to be much higher if they have just spent 4 to 12 years in a private secondary school where every single one of their classmates is achieving academic excellence every day.

But you definitely need to lose the idea that admission to a name brand university is the sole purpose of a private school; as well as losing the idea that the name brand is somehow inherently superior to Enormous State University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston