Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 01:18 PM

186 posts, read 189,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
The school your kid goes to doesn't automatically make them "smarter" than any other kid.
Sorry, but I refuse to ever accept that belief. I don't care how expensive the school is.
It all comes down to parental involvement, the importance the parents place on education, and the work ethic from the student.
Most of that comes from the home and not what is taught at school.
Nobody says that the school automatically makes them smarter.

What is being said is that the curriculum is measurably different.
For public school they have to drive a certain curriculum, as they dont get to choose who is in the program.

Sure parental involvement and work ethic are important but if you want to remain blind to the fact that a different level of curriculum is part of the equation, you can continue to do so but the data doesnt lie.
Your kid spends 6-7 hours at school each day. If you dont think what happens there changes the outcome, then I dont know what to tell you.

Put the same person through 6 months of Navy Seal training and 6 months of training at the local YMCA and see who comes out mentally and physically stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 8,229 times
Quote:
The school your kid goes to doesn't automatically make them "smarter" than any other kid.
Sorry, but I refuse to ever accept that belief. I don't care how expensive the school is.
It all comes down to parental involvement, the importance the parents place on education, and the work ethic from the student.
It does not "all come down to parental involvement". Maybe that's true for public school kids. At my kids' private schools the schools encourage the kids to be curious and advocate for themselves. This is taught very young (pre-k). It is compounding gains as they get older. The teachers, faculty, and parents are all sending the same messages. Other children also set examples and the positive behaviours are the norm. I agree the school does not make them smarter academically, but they are surrounded by behaviours that improve their emotional intelligence and the organization skills needed to be successful adults. Life success is not about just what college you go to, what job you get, or how much money you make. It's more about making good decisions and being able to critically evaluate choices.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:12 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,077,459 times
Also, to be more blunt, a private school can remove a totally uncooperative student, as can a public magnet or charter school. Many public schools cannot choose their students (unless they commit an expellable offense) and unfortunately suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in Houston View Post
It does not "all come down to parental involvement". Maybe that's true for public school kids. At my kids' private schools the schools encourage the kids to be curious and advocate for themselves. This is taught very young (pre-k). It is compounding gains as they get older. The teachers, faculty, and parents are all sending the same messages. Other children also set examples and the positive behaviours are the norm. I agree the school does not make them smarter academically, but they are surrounded by behaviours that improve their emotional intelligence and the organization skills needed to be successful adults. Life success is not about just what college you go to, what job you get, or how much money you make. It's more about making good decisions and being able to critically evaluate choices.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 7,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
So after spending 120,000 in tuition for a highly coveted High School diploma, where does the average student from these pretentious private schools typically go to college?
Reviewing more recent info, they appear to go to state colleges, some also go to Austin Community college and some tier 2 and even fewer tier 1 privates. With that said, they are likely going to be better off bc they are used to competing with a higher caliber cohort than a public.

Last edited by MemorialBlueBlood; 08-21-2021 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorialBlueBlood View Post
Reviewing more recent info, they appear to go to state colleges, some also go to Austin Community college and some tier 2 and even fewer tier 1 privates. With that said, they are likely going to be better off bc they are used to competing with a higher caliber cohort than a public.

On top of that, some of these kids just need to go to college, any college and its more for time to mature. Trust me, a lot of these kids dont "need" a job. They will work for the family business and maybe some day run it. Sure $25k a year for elementary school is a lot for most people, but for some, thats a few days to a week's worth of work.....so its not a big impact to their budget to send their kid to a place where they will be pushed.

Honestly schools like MIT and Stanford are for elite but still working class type people. The real elite send their schools to very expensive private schools that dont hit the academic radar. They go their to network with other elite family's kids and they start their own branch of network from there.

in life, a lot of business is about who you know.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:55 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
So after spending 120,000 in tuition for a highly coveted High School diploma, where does the average student from these pretentious private schools typically go to college?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemorialBlueBlood View Post
Reviewing more recent info, they appear to go to state colleges, some also go to Austin Community college and some tier 2 and even fewer tier 1 privates.
I'm not sure about that. I think it really depends on the school, but the few I know of, the vast majority go to a top ranked private college--anything from Stanford to Harvard to Emory. None went to CC, and a small but significant percent went to state schools, usually UT/AM, as a family tradition.

Perhaps some of the smaller, less prestigious private schools, have a different mix. But the top ranked ones--St. John's, Kincaid, Awty--they aren't sending grads to CC.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:57 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Here's just one list, there are many more available by a quick Google search...

https://www.sjs.org/college-counseling/matriculation

Old 08-24-2021, 10:20 AM

1,952 posts, read 830,397 times
I work with several kids that went to private high schools. Cy-Fair ISD/state college product myself.

Sorry, but I am not overly impressed with these people. They are not any more qualified or capable than me or our other public school products. In fact, many were spoiled rich kids that think doing any manual tasks is beneath them and are not very helpful at times around our small business, where you might be asked to pitch in, doing tasks you did not learn in your expensive schools.

I also look at our Congress. Full of people that went to Harvard, Yale and other ritzy schools and look at the actions they take and the condition we find our country in right now. With the money their parents spent on their education...shouldn't we be in better shape by now?

Sorry...not impressed with the private school grads on the whole.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I work with several kids that went to private high schools. Cy-Fair ISD/state college product myself.

Sorry, but I am not overly impressed with these people. They are not any more qualified or capable than me or our other public school products. In fact, many were spoiled rich kids that think doing any manual tasks is beneath them and are not very helpful at times around our small business, where you might be asked to pitch in, doing tasks you did not learn in your expensive schools.

I also look at our Congress. Full of people that went to Harvard, Yale and other ritzy schools and look at the actions they take and the condition we find our country in right now. With the money their parents spent on their education...shouldn't we be in better shape by now?

Sorry...not impressed with the private school grads on the whole.
So are you saying people blindly pay upwards of $30k a year to send their kids to these places for 12 years with no upside? Dont you think these institutions would be out of business?

How did you derive that the kids going to private vs the kids via public are equally qualified?
Are some kids spoiled? Yes, absolutely. Some kids in public school are also spoiled.
And what manual tasks are these kids learning in public school that they are not learning in private?
Do i hold it against a kid if he doesnt know how to operate a lawn mower due to the fact that he never had to mow a lawn in his life? Not at all.

I grew mowing my parents lawn from a very young age. My kids will not mow our lawn. Id rather pay a professional $40 a week to do it. And the 2 hours they would have spent doing manual work, id rather them spend extra time on the wrestling matt, or in the robotics lab. Both of those activities are also hands on no?

For the record, my kids go to public schools. I chose that because while I do believe private school is better, im not quite sold on its value at $30k ish per year. Question for all those saying the education are equal. If Sj Johns offered your kid a full ride for all 12 years, would you really turn that down?

Old 08-24-2021, 12:28 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,399 times
Quote:
Facts. You can go to a substandard HISD public school and excel if you're focused & have strong parental involvement, meaning your parents send you to school to learn, not cut the fool. I remember my parents giving my teachers their number just in case I wanted to show out in class (which I didn't). Graduated from Ike & TSU with honors. Private schools have the resources and system in place for kids to excel, so it's expected for kids to excel in private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston