Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 09:43 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,080,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
County Commissioners have nothing to do with whether a suspect is granted bail or not. I assume you were good with the Cagle/Ramsey plan to cut over 1,000 County jobs to hire 1,000 deputies that would do very little to the crime rates while destroying public health and other vital functions. And, crime is not as bad as you think. It was far worse in the 80's/90's.

And, again, suspects are entitled to bail unless charged with capital murder. You can't just deny bail.
A judge also has the discretion over whether the defendant is a threat to their community or society. Many of these defendants are obvious threats to society/community if they actively shoot at random people on the road. Commit and get caught for violent crimes every other month, (not even figuratively, but literally). What does danger to society/community actually mean, if repeat murderers can get bail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 10:14 AM

403 posts, read 462,822 times
For the record, Lina Hidalgo has increased police patrols in micro-zones where violent crime is concentrated, she has purchased 400 police vehicles, increased constable pay, hired additional sheriff patrol deputies, expanded detention centers, hired more bailiffs, spent $1 million on constable patrol contracts, and added 35 positions to the criminal investigations bureau.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:30 AM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yeah I was planning on voting for Lina but between her I-45 meddling and the indifference to crime rates I'll have to reconsider at this point. The crime issue is certainly not all her fault - there are several factors - and I have appreciated her focus on flooding, but in my opinion this is the number one issue in the county that commissioners need to be focusing on. I would gladly trade most county workers for additional patrols at this point. Actually, the better solution is in the hands of the voters - more taxes for more on-the-ground patrols but we all know that will never happen here because the population is too cheap to actually tax ourselves to invest in this place in ways that count.

Something's gotta change though, and the cavalier attitude of both city and county leadership ain't it. We aren't as bad as the 80s yet, but we're a lot closer to it than we were to just our 2017/2018 crime rates.

The trajectory is clear and it needs to be stopped, period.
Additional patrols won't help much at all. LEO's can't be everywhere, and many of the crimes we are seeing are not too predictable. Catalytic convertor theft needs to be handled by changes in the rules regarding scrap metals. I recall the State of Washington had a lot of success with requiring that scrap sales over $10 be paid by check with a wait of 30 days.

I periodically see posts on Nextdoor and Facebook about gunshots, and someone else will ask if the police were called. There's zero police can do in that situation unless they happen to catch the perpetrator in the act. If someone pops out their front door, pops off 6 shots and goes back inside without being seen, they will never be caught.

I also do not want to spend more on HCSO unless they patrol within the City of Houston as well. Property owners in Houston pay the same county taxes as the unincorporated areas, and get less service.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
A judge also has the discretion over whether the defendant is a threat to their community or society. Many of these defendants are obvious threats to society/community if they actively shoot at random people on the road. Commit and get caught for violent crimes every other month, (not even figuratively, but literally). What does danger to society/community actually mean, if repeat murderers can get bail.
The judges can certainly increase the required bail, and bail bondsmen should have to require 10%, not the 1% many of them seem to be using these days.

Old 04-01-2022, 01:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
We lost another Deputy RIP.

https://abc13.com/off-duty-deputy-di...says/11698571/

Off-duty HCSO deputy dies after shootout with suspects attempting to steal his catalytic converter from grocery store parking lot in N. Harris Co., officials say
https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...-sheriff-says/

Crickets from the yahoos who claim Houston doesn't have a crime problem.....
They ran away from this thread a long time ago. Lets see how these folks vote on the next elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
For the record, Lina Hidalgo has increased police patrols in micro-zones where violent crime is concentrated, she has purchased 400 police vehicles, increased constable pay, hired additional sheriff patrol deputies, expanded detention centers, hired more bailiffs, spent $1 million on constable patrol contracts, and added 35 positions to the criminal investigations bureau.
What are you her spokesperson lol. Microzones dont mean anything with how widespread crimes are in the Houston area. 400 police cars? Did 400 new officers come with those police cars?

Old 04-01-2022, 02:29 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
They ran away from this thread a long time ago. Lets see how these folks vote on the next elections.
What are you her spokesperson lol. Microzones dont mean anything with how widespread crimes are in the Houston area. 400 police cars? Did 400 new officers come with those police cars?
Yeah, I also thought that was hilarious.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:29 PM

511 posts, read 401,148 times
https://abc13.com/amp/deputy-shot-an...heft/11699863/

Old 04-01-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
These judges will give them another bond, they’ll commit a few more crimes considering they have nothing to lose, then we’ll wait a few years before they go to trial SMH. The crazy thing is they’ll continue to victimized like minded voters from their own community.

Old 04-01-2022, 03:39 PM

Channel 8 review of the budget proposals, including the detailed review from the County Office of Management and Budget. Highlights of the Cagle/Ramsey proposals include eliminating security for all county facilities, eliminating the Microsoft licenses for all County personal computers, servers, etc, eliminating most of the budget for the Public Defender's office(not possible given the fact that the County has to pay for defense for indigent defendants, unless you want to use only appointed attorneys, which I really despise), and some other stuff. Cagle and Ramsey are clowns, with no concept of how to budget.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...nalysis-shows/

Old 04-01-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Channel 8 review of the budget proposals, including the detailed review from the County Office of Management and Budget. Highlights of the Cagle/Ramsey proposals include eliminating security for all county facilities, eliminating the Microsoft licenses for all County personal computers, servers, etc, eliminating most of the budget for the Public Defender's office(not possible given the fact that the County has to pay for defense for indigent defendants, unless you want to use only appointed attorneys, which I really despise), and some other stuff. Cagle and Ramsey are clowns, with no concept of how to budget.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...nalysis-shows/
LOL, considering how the county has handled the budget during the last four years, you had the audacity to call out the minority commissioners. Classic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston