Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 10:32 AM

8,355 posts, read 5,517,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
This story truly disturbs me:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kho...d-a095bb09398a

STOP GIVING THESE PEOPLE BOND!!! These people behave like violent animals with no regard for human life. They are part of violent evil "professionally run" crime rings and/or gangs that have NO ISSUES using their vast amount of ill-begotten gains to post even very high bonds and continue to terrorize innocent victims. There should be NO BOND for VIOLENT OFFENDERS. That would make our city safer and FAST.
True, he shouldnt be on bond.

But thats in Galveston County so a different ball game than most on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2022, 11:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,243,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
know that, I know that. The Texas and Harris county Republican party knows that.

But the blaming crime on those awful liberal judges is effective.

There is a constable posting their arrests, the judges and the bail on Next door. Expect a change in the judges next election day.
Here is the problem with bond. A lot of these criminals are not working independently- they are now part of larger evil/criminal organizations with vast amounts of money from criminal activity where posting high bonds is an easy drop in the bucket. Then the criminal is released to continue terrorizing innocent people. This is a major problem.

Old 05-06-2022, 05:22 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that many on this forum claimed Houston didn’t have a problem with crime

Old 05-07-2022, 07:13 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,243,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that many on this forum claimed Houston didn’t have a problem with crime
Houston always had a problem, it just has gotten "a lot" worse in the past 4 years and particularly the past 2. Noticeably so.

Before, taking simple preventive measures would protect you in most cases (avoiding "bad" areas - especially at certain times, not being flashy, be aware of surroundings, dont leave any electronics, valuables, or anything that looks like them in car, etc.) While really "bad crime" did happen, they were much less.

The brazen violent crimes with complete disregard for human life seem to be getting much worse, including in "good areas" of not only the city but the entire region, and many of the criminals seem to be better organized with much better "connections" and access to resources to easily post bond.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,493,031 times
Houston is a big city,like all the other big cities,LA,CHICAGO,NYC,crime rates will always be high,
why does our Kroger store lock up the shopping cart wheels when you start pushing it close to the exit?
How do they do it?did they put a chip inside the wheel??
I see a clerk comes up with his cell phone to unlock it?

Old 05-07-2022, 10:27 AM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Houston is a big city,like all the other big cities,LA,CHICAGO,NYC,crime rates will always be high,
why does our Kroger store lock up the shopping cart wheels when you start pushing it close to the exit?
How do they do it?did they put a chip inside the wheel??
I see a clerk comes up with his cell phone to unlock it?
There's a wire buried in the parking lot, and one of the wheels has a sensor that detects the wire and locks the wheel. The tool the worker uses isn't a cell phone, it's a dedicated wheel unlocking device.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:33 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,691 times
It's really funny... I've been considering relocating to Houston from Chicago for a while now and live near Galveston or Corpus Christi. Or perhaps in Houston proper itself.

But when you read the reviews of both cities/regions, it really shows the grass isn't always greener. Or ever.

Still... there's a lot to like about Houston, criminal f-uckheads notwithstanding.

Old 05-07-2022, 01:13 PM

I used to live in Chicago,the winter is harsh,even Scandinavians think so,worse than where they come from.
My gripes is the snow and ice,bad for walking and driving and the streets some are narrow ,while Houston has 4 lanes and plenty of parking.
TX grows some produces like water melon,grapefruit and being close to the Gulf,you get fresh seafood.
cost of living is lower,houses are not that expensive.
As for entertainment,there is no RUSH street or French Quarter,but if you want to get on a last minute cruise,Galveston is not far away

Old 05-07-2022, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,932,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I used to live in Chicago,the winter is harsh,even Scandinavians think so,worse than where they come from.
My gripes is the snow and ice,bad for walking and driving and the streets some are narrow ,while Houston has 4 lanes and plenty of parking.
TX grows some produces like water melon,grapefruit and being close to the Gulf,you get fresh seafood.
cost of living is lower,houses are not that expensive.
As for entertainment,there is no RUSH street or French Quarter,but if you want to get on a last minute cruise,Galveston is not far away
Lord, you folks believe what you want, but I lived in Evanston just north of Chicago for 30 years and the winters vary a lot. Also Chicago has the pedway. Chicago’s downtown pedestrian system lies in the core of the city. This system of underground tunnels connects 40+ busy blocks in the downtown area, across 5 miles. In my perspective, the Pedway is like a “tunnel mall” filled with shops, eateries, public transportation, and businesses. The Lake effect keeps Chicago warmer than it would be without it.

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/blog...hat-bad-021017

https://giordanos.com/how-to-survive...er-in-chicago/

I LOVE CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2022, 03:26 PM

good for you,I dont miss midwest at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston