Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 10:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times

Advertisements

Do you think we will see more Haitians settling in Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 10:38 AM

9,949 posts, read 6,659,386 times
Yes we will and we are. As well as is Louisiana. Haiti is currently one of the biggest sources of immigrant labor coming into the US along with Venezuela, Cuba, and Guatemala. Houston is getting its share. As for where in Houston they’re settling, I’m not 100% sure but I’ve found a good amount in SW Houston and surprisingly, Baytown.

Hotel jobs are popular for Haitians, so any luxury hotel or resort in the region that requires a lot of labor for room service, laundry, etc will see. General maintenance (cleaning gyms, offices, etc) is also a popular job for Haitians.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:45 AM

3,564 posts, read 4,405,750 times
The Houston Haitians!

Sounds like a football team in the making.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:56 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 days ago)

8,393 posts, read 5,549,300 times
I think we will see more yes, but I also think it depends on many different aspects.

Most immigrant groups will want to be close to large amounts of economic opportunity and a decent community size. Id imagine most immigrants who come illegally or are allowed entry via the Texas border with Mexico would probably choose Houston as a place to settle due to being a large international city and close proximity. Those who come legally straight from the island and have a choice, I would imagine places like Florida, Atlanta, Boston, and NYC to be top choices simply due to the massive communities already there.

Weve seen a similar circumstance with Hondurans in Houston. By most estimates, Houston's Honduran community has a much higher percentage of illegal immigrants than does NYC's or Miami's. But the circumstance was a little different because the Honduran community in Houston became the largest in the US and now it is highly sought out by both legal and illegal Hondurans.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:06 PM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Do you think we will see more Haitians settling in Houston?
About 1/4 of Houston population is foreign born
Sounds like a good place for an immigrant to start

Old 09-22-2021, 08:48 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,405,750 times
In due time, Haitians will "divorce" Haiti for Houston.

The song says so . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jDOEBZolw

Old 09-24-2021, 06:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 833,062 times
Yes. This is a sanctuary city and one of ICE's dumping grounds.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:20 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,248,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
Yes. This is a sanctuary city and one of ICE's dumping grounds.
Hi, let me re-word this for you...

Yes, because Houston is an open, welcoming city. We've always embraced newcomers to our city, regardless of their background. And over the years, we no longer think of them as refugees or immigrants, just as Houstonians, working for a better life.

Whether one is from Vietnam or New Orleans or Cuba or Iraq or Somalia or wherever, you are welcome to rebuild your life here. Our open-arms POV is part of why we're one of the greatest cities in the world.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:26 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 days ago)

8,393 posts, read 5,549,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Hi, let me re-word this for you...

Yes, because Houston is an open, welcoming city. We've always embraced newcomers to our city, regardless of their background. And over the years, we no longer think of them as refugees or immigrants, just as Houstonians, working for a better life.

Whether one is from Vietnam or New Orleans or Cuba or Iraq or Somalia or wherever, you are welcome to rebuild your life here. Our open-arms POV is part of why we're one of the greatest cities in the world.
And thats why I love Houston.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,248,269 times
For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston