Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 05:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 5,517,461 times

Advertisements

To be fair if the Woodlands had Sugar Land or Katy’s demographics, it would be amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 09:11 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
To be fair if the Woodlands had Sugar Land or Katy’s demographics, it would be amazing!
Bingo.

I’d even turn it up some notches and say Pearland’s or Spring’s demographics.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 779,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
But TW has trees, and there are no plans to get rid of them. Katy has about 3 trees(OK, maybe 5), it's a tree desert. It's not nearly as attractive as the Woodlands. If I had to pick, I would take TW. And I say that with my parents having lived there for 40 years.
Doesn't have to be though. There's plenty of space for trees to be installed, so I'm not sure why it doesn't get done.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:43 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,981,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Doesn't have to be though. There's plenty of space for trees to be installed, so I'm not sure why it doesn't get done.
There are new trees planted all over Katy that have matured well. You have canopies in Katy down roads like Fry, Greenhouse, Mason, etc. now. Parts of I-10 you can barely see the businesses from the frontage because the trees they planted when they build the freeway back in 04 are now mature. Katy doesn't have dense natural pine tree coverage everywhere like the northern burbs but one thing the area does do is plant a bunch of trees where there were none before.

Old 12-29-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There are new trees planted all over Katy that have matured well. You have canopies in Katy down roads like Fry, Greenhouse, Mason, etc. now. Parts of I-10 you can barely see the businesses from the frontage because the trees they planted when they build the freeway back in 04 are now mature. Katy doesn't have dense natural pine tree coverage everywhere like the northern burbs but one thing the area does do is plant a bunch of trees where there were none before.
I've heard people claim before that Houston and its suburbs plants a bunch of trees and I just don't agree with that. It plants some but compared to other eastern cities it doesn't seem like nearly enough. Four or five oak trees spaced twenty feet apart doesn't really do the trick. Many Houston neighborhoods that have been established for decades still don't have nearly as many trees as they should.

I think even Dallas seems to do a better job at reforestation than Houston does, ironically

Old 12-29-2021, 09:40 AM

15,456 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I've heard people claim before that Houston and its suburbs plants a bunch of trees and I just don't agree with that. It plants some but compared to other eastern cities it doesn't seem like nearly enough. Four or five oak trees spaced twenty feet apart doesn't really do the trick. Many Houston neighborhoods that have been established for decades still don't have nearly as many trees as they should.

I think even Dallas seems to do a better job at reforestation than Houston does, ironically
You don't plant oak trees 20 feet apart.

I seriously doubt Dallas does a better job than Houston on tree planting.

Houston did not have many trees in the past. Almost every tree in the area was planted as part of a development. There was no reforestation here, because there were no trees.

If you look at Google Earth for Houston and compare 1943 to now, you can see just how many trees have been planted.

Old 12-29-2021, 10:28 AM

8,357 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Bingo.

I’d even turn it up some notches and say Pearland’s or Spring’s demographics.
Pearland is good to. Spring's lack of an Asian population would not entice the wife.

Old 12-29-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You don't plant oak trees 20 feet apart.
That was a tongue in cheek comment I was making, the gist of my statement being that more trees can fit into the same area than what you will typically see around Houston

Quote:
I seriously doubt Dallas does a better job than Houston on tree planting.

Houston did not have many trees in the past. Almost every tree in the area was planted as part of a development. There was no reforestation here, because there were no trees.

If you look at Google Earth for Houston and compare 1943 to now, you can see just how many trees have been planted.
Yes we know Houston is partially prairie, but this is hardly Denver that we're talking about. The entire city was not built on nothing but grassland. Trees were and are still torn down to make way for development. I'm not saying it would ever look anything like Atlanta, but it should have more trees than it does.
https://www.globalforestwatch.org/da...9&showMap=true

Old 12-29-2021, 12:11 PM

1,952 posts, read 830,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

So...some thing the Woodlands is too white?

Is there a place to gather stats on the demographics of Houston burbs like Woodlands, Kingwood, etc? I would be interested in seeing these.

Old 12-29-2021, 12:41 PM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
So...some thing the Woodlands is too white?

Is there a place to gather stats on the demographics of Houston burbs like Woodlands, Kingwood, etc? I would be interested in seeing these.
Yes. While others particularly like the Woodlands because of the demographics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston