Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 11:04 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While a lot of growth is occurring around The Woodlands, if anything it's making a significant share of residents there more oriented to keeping / fortifying the "bubble." The original visionary developer, George Mitchell, never wanted it to be a bubble, just an example of how to do a higher-quality version of suburbia that kept more natural landscape (fake lakes aside) and created a walkable downtown. However, many existing residents are actively fighting to keep it cut off from the outside world.

The thoroughfares leading out of The Woodlands have been in plans for decades to connect to the growing areas adjacent. However, the bubble people are actively working to change those plans to make sure The Woodlands thoroughfares don't connect, particularly to the south or west. It's bizarre and frankly deplorable (yes I am being judgmental) - they are actively trying to ruin mobility and traffic flow for everyone else.
The residents of The Woodlands killed the extension of Woodlands Parkway to Tomball, with some quoted as saying "If Tomball residents want to come this way, they should use 99. We don't need them coming through here. It didn't help that Tomball is in Harris County, and had no vote on the bond issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 11:52 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The residents of The Woodlands killed the extension of Woodlands Parkway to Tomball, with some quoted as saying "If Tomball residents want to come this way, they should use 99. We don't need them coming through here. It didn't help that Tomball is in Harris County, and had no vote on the bond issue.
There are 3 major thoroughfares running north-south into the Woodlands from Harris County Gosling Rd., Kuykendahl, and FM 2878 or Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd. How many more would you guys suggest they have ? It seems more than enough for me especially when you include I-45. These major thoroughfares pretty much dissect the Woodlands into 3 equal parts.

People in Tomball can use 2878 as well as 99. You can also use Hardin Store Rd and FM 1488 from 249 to 2878 from the west.

Quit picking on TW people just because you want them to urbanize and they obviously do not.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:08 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There are 3 major thoroughfares running north-south into the Woodlands from Harris County Gosling Rd., Kuykendahl, and FM 2878 or Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd. How many more would you guys suggest they have ? It seems more than enough for me especially when you include I-45. These major thoroughfares pretty much dissect the Woodlands into 3 equal parts.

People in Tomball can use 2878 as well as 99. You can also use Hardin Store Rd and FM 1488 from 249 to 2878 from the west.

Quit picking on TW people just because you want them to urbanize and they obviously do not.
Jack, Woodlands Parkway should be extended to the 249 Tollway. Do you agree? This could give TW residents a quicker route to visit their kids at A&M or a quick way out into Central Texas. In fact, Woodlands Parkway should have been a mini expressway between 45 and 249, with no frontage roads similar to the Grand Parkway through Cinco Ranch or unincorporated Fort Bend.

The connectivity going east from TW is really strange too. I'll have to see if MoCo has a plan to connect roads from 45 over to 59 because that'd help traffic also. I know they want folks to use 99 for that but there's gotta be other options too. Right now 242 is the only connected road outside of 99. Now if TW residents didn't want to be connected to Tomball people seamlessly, then they damn sure don't want to be connected to those folks in East County lol.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:21 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:

Other thoroughfare connectivity has been on the county's plan for literally decades, and TW's residents want to just ignore those plans. Furthermore, you don't have to have much density to require a high level of street connectivity for local mobility or otherwise suffer pretty bad consequences - this is a basic principle of transportation planning. Pearland (not exactly a dense place) is desperately trying to play catch-up now in that regard. Houston's historical lack of thoroughfare connectivity was long thought of as black mark on the city, way before the city started densifying.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Jack, Woodlands Parkway should be extended to the 249 Tollway. Do you agree? This could give TW residents a quicker route to visit their kids at A&M or a quick way out into Central Texas. In fact, Woodlands Parkway should have been a mini expressway between 45 and 249, with no frontage roads similar to the Grand Parkway through Cinco Ranch or unincorporated Fort Bend.

The connectivity going east from TW is really strange too. I'll have to see if MoCo has a plan to connect roads from 45 over to 59 because that'd help traffic also. I know they want folks to use 99 for that but there's gotta be other options too. Right now 242 is the only connected road outside of 99. Now if TW residents didn't want to be connected to Tomball people seamlessly, then they damn sure don't want to be connected to those folks in East County lol.
To the east is 242 but thats about it. It looks like Rayford will extend into Kingwood eventually and that should be enough.

No I don't think the Woodlands Parkway should have been an expressway like a Memorial drive they do not want to urbanize and thats exactly what that would have done for or to them. but even Memorial dead ends into Hwy 6

Old 11-16-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Other thoroughfare connectivity has been on the county's plan for literally decades, and TW's residents want to just ignore those plans. Furthermore, you don't have to have much density to require a high level of street connectivity for local mobility or otherwise suffer pretty bad consequences - this is a basic principle of transportation planning. Pearland (not exactly a dense place) is desperately trying to play catch-up now in that regard. Houston's historical lack of thoroughfare connectivity was long thought of as black mark on the city, way before the city started densifying.
I know thats why we have so many streets in Houston that mysteriously change names for seemingly no reason.Also the Woodlands Parkway Dead ends into 2878 almost due north of Tomball, are you saying that The Woodlands Parkway should then take a 90 degree turn to the south and parralell 2878 into Tomball. Have you looked at a map lately ? If that was ever in the county plans it was a idiot plan and good for the Woodlands for killing it.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:33 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
I know thats why we have so many streets in Houston that mysteriously change names for seemingly no reason.Also the Woodlands Parkway Dead ends into 2878 almost due north of Tomball, are you saying that The Woodlands Parkway should then take a 90 degree turn to the south and parralell 2878 into Tomball. Have you looked at a map lately ? If that was ever in the county plans it was a idiot plan and good for the Woodlands for killing it.
WP was supposed to go directly westward to 249. It's a shame that it didn't happen.

Old 11-16-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
WP was supposed to go directly westward to 249. It's a shame that it didn't happen.
Ok I was mislead by a previous post, sorry about that.

That extension is totally within MC isn't it, so thats their business, but it doesn't seem like that much of a detour to 1488.

The only real dead end I can see is Sawmill Rd heading south stops and looks like it was heading towards a connection with Holtzworth Rd in Harris County which runs past the EM Campus. But that may be Harris County dragging it's heels on that, I mean why should HC extend Holtzworth to Spring Creek just so more development can take place in far southestern Woodlands at the expence of northern Harris County ?

Old 11-16-2021, 03:53 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Here's a MoCo newspaper article on the "secret" construction of the Woodlands Parkway extension https://thegoldenhammer.net/woodland...ims-otherwise/

The description of 249 as "The Decimation of Hope Highway" is hilarious.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who live in The Woodlands should have very little influence on the roads outside the limits of The Woodlands. They aren't the only people who live in Montgomery County.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:42 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:

It's FM 2978, not FM 2878.

Going north, Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd becomes FM 2978 at FM 2920.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston