Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2022, 09:59 AM

338 posts, read 306,563 times

Advertisements

Hi:

We have been looking for a home in Cypress, Katy, and Sugarland.
We are moving from MN. Family of Indian origin and our sons are 10 and 12 years old.
They were born and raised in MN.

We came across a home in "the woodlands" that we like.
School ratings look excellent.

Schools are
Mitchell Intermediate
McCollough J H
The Woodlands High School

After finding this home I tried learning about The Woodlands as much as possible.
I checked the diversity in these 3 schools and number of Asians is less than 10%.
These schools are still more diverse than MN where 80% of students were white.

Will our 5th and 8th graders will be able to integrate into these schools as well as their neighborhood?

Our jobs are currently remote. Should we take up a job in Houston what will be the commute be like?
Is there any public transportation as an alternative that may be faster?

Based on what we learn we will decide if we should get this home or continue looking.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 10:31 AM

335 posts, read 265,758 times
If cultural diversity is important to you and your job is not tied to the north side of the metro, Sugar Land might be a better fit, especially if you want to be near other South Asians. Many of the schools in SL are excellent and among the most diverse in Texas. TW has a mixed reputation on this forum when it comes to inclusivity, and given that I've never lived there, I'll refrain on passing judgment.

Old 03-27-2022, 02:59 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,813,408 times
I would avoid picking a suburb until you have some clarity where in Houston you'll be working and how often you'll be expected in the office.

The Woodlands is an outstanding suburb but I'd never live there unless I worked there (or nearby) and/or would only be expected in the office 1-2 days a week. The rush-hour commute to most of Houston is absolutely brutal.

There is a commuter bus that runs to downtown and another one that recently launched to the Energy Corridor (I'm doubtful that it will last for long). There are also shared Metro buses that may be a good option if you have several colleagues at the same office who live close enough together in TW. You're commute would still be LONG but at least you wouldn't be driving.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:56 AM

1,952 posts, read 837,899 times
A commute from the Woodlands can range from slightly irritating to completely crazy. We never even looked at houses up there BECAUSE of the possibility of the long commute. If you KNOW you will always work from home....go for a Woodlands address.

Yes, the schools there are good and no, your kids are not in some sort of danger because they are not white. If this is your major concern, I would opt for Sugar Land, as that is a very large and strong Indian community in the Houston area.

However, Houston in general is pretty international and Indian people can be found all over Houston with maybe the exception being the east side.

FWIW, my kid went to Cy Falls in Cypress and there were several Indian students and they seemed to thrive there, as my daughter was good friends with several.

Old 03-29-2022, 03:42 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,060,387 times
I live in the south west side of The Woodlands and I have multiple Indian neighbors who seem quite happy in the area. I love it here.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:31 PM

43 posts, read 30,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
If you KNOW you will always work from home....go for a Woodlands address.
it's hard to tell what's a woodlands address because most of it is "spring".

Are there parts of the woodlands that's less desirable? I'm seeing some decent sized homes in a good price range on the south east bordering the freeway, as well as college park areas.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:58 PM
bu2

24,150 posts, read 14,999,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
If cultural diversity is important to you and your job is not tied to the north side of the metro, Sugar Land might be a better fit, especially if you want to be near other South Asians. Many of the schools in SL are excellent and among the most diverse in Texas. TW has a mixed reputation on this forum when it comes to inclusivity, and given that I've never lived there, I'll refrain on passing judgment.
If he's been in Minnesota...LOL

I remember being in Minnesota and as a relatively dark haired, dark skinned Anglo (with some Latin) felt out of place. Except for some Vietnamese, everyone was a husky, blonde or light brown haired Scandanavian type! That is definitely not the case in the Woodlands.

Old 03-31-2022, 11:33 PM

43 posts, read 30,224 times
I've noticed numerous properties in The Woodlands (realtordotcom) that are in the 500k and less range 4bdrm 2500sqft and higher. Are there something wrong with these numerous properties or why are they priced so low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston