Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbernadette View Post
I am new in houston, just arrived 2 wks ago...i live in champion forest close to FM 1960 and willowbrook mall...anyone of you lives close to my area? I am desperately looking for filipinos whom I could befriended with, pls. help I am getting bored here.
I love Filipino food!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 05:39 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbernadette View Post
I am new in houston, just arrived 2 wks ago...i live in champion forest close to FM 1960 and willowbrook mall...anyone of you lives close to my area? I am desperately looking for filipinos whom I could befriended with, pls. help I am getting bored here.
Most Filipino's on the North Side live near Spring. The Southwest side down near Sugar Land & Stafford is where you'll find a whole lot of Filipino. Clear Lake & Kemah areas also have quite a bit.

There is or was a small Filipino market in the shopping center near 59 North & 1960. I hope that helps somewhat.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 PM

316 posts, read 784,544 times
Kumusta Pinoy's - you won't find that many Filipino's on the North Side - But as Matt stated, there are quite a bit down in Clear Lake - The Southwest Side of Houston - Sugar Land - Medical Center - Stafford and a few in Katy - The Filipino population in Houston is only 40k OUT OF 6 Million- probably more pinoy's on Mira Mesa Blvd in San Diego - You wont find too many people in Houston doing the following:

Pinay's

You point with your lips

Your other piece of luggage is a "Balikbayan Box"

You nod your head upwards to greet someone

You put your foot up on your chair and rest your elbows on your knees while you eat.

You use a rock to scrub yourself in the shower
You kiss relatives on the cheek when you enter the room
You're standing next to eight big boxes at the airport
You collect items from hotels or restaurants as "souvenirs"
Your house has a distinctive aroma
You smile for no reason
You flirt by having a foolish grin on your face while raising your eyebrows repeatedly
You go to department stores and try bargain with the price.
You scratch your head when you don't know the answer
You never eat the last morsel of food on the table
You go bowling
You play pusoy or mahjong
You prefer to sit in the shade instead of basking in the sun.
You add an unwarranted 'H' to your name: Jhun, Bhoy, Rh
"Excuse, Excuse" when you pass in between people or in front of the TV

Your middle name is your mom's maiden name

You like everything that is imported or 'stateside'

Your perfectly comfortable in a squatting position with your elbows resting on your knees
You consistently arrive 30 minutes late for events.

You always offer food to your visitors.

You put your arm on the other person's shoulder if he or she is a close friend of yours.

You draw a rectangle in the air when asking for the bill, which never fails to baffle the restaurant staff.

You don't sit on the bowl in public toilets, no matter what part of town or if your thighs ache like hell; and you flush the toilet with your feet.

You think 'tuck out' is the opposite of 'tuck in'

You show up late for work and your excuse is 'I forgot to on the alarm' or better yet 'traffic eh'

Brushing your teeth after lunch in the office lavatory is an unbreakable habit, even if your colleagues can't bear touching the taps after you've drooled and spat all over them

Toni Braxton, Basia and Swing Out Sister are your idea of party music, you hardly listen to anything else

You sell Amway and Herbalife as sideline

You underdeclare your income when you pay Phil tax, even if it's peculiar that a consultant is paid little more than a domestic helper's wages.

At Immigration, when they call out 'Maria', you and 46 other women stand up
When they play 'Anak' anywhere, your chest swells with pride and say 'that's Filipino'

You think taking a shower and taking a bath are the same thing.

You use shopping bags as garbage bags.

You use laundry detergent to wash your dishes.

OK - I dated a few of these Pinay's before -

Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM

Asians only use the dish washer to put wet dishes & they always re-use the same worn out sponge in a recycled dish water bowl. LOL

So cheap

Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
LOL you guys hang out with filipinos "from d'province"

Old 06-25-2010, 11:14 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Strange, you can find many filipinos in Texas, particularly in Houston !
Talk about orders of magnitude: 10,000 in Dallas vs. 100,000 in Houston. Perhaps it's the coast that is attractive (we're island people like Brits).

Old 06-25-2010, 01:37 PM

Filipinos don't like Dallas.

The coast & the high humidity is ideal for them. Very similar to the climate in the Philippines.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,997,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Filipinos don't like Dallas.

The coast & the high humidity is ideal for them. Very similar to the climate in the Philippines.

LOL. but come on, the weather has nothing to do with it. The Philippine's biggest exports to Houston are nurses and inner (ghetto) city teachers. We fill the jobs americans don't want, legally

Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
LOL. but come on, the weather has nothing to do with it. The Philippine's biggest exports to Houston are nurses and inner (ghetto) city teachers. We fill the jobs americans don't want, legally
A lot of people want to be nurses.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
A lot of people want to be nurses.
Having worked in medical staffing, Filipinos are willing and able to do many nursing jobs better than many Americans. Nigerians interestingly enough fall in to that category as well. Broadly speaking, there's a cultural component at work that lends itself to being able to provide compassionate care while doing the *grunt* work that an LVN, CNA, etc. does, which is tough to find among American born folks. One of the reasons there is a nursing shortage in this country is that it is an incredibly hard and unfortunately thankless job. Its one of those professions that looking to other countries like the Philippines for workers is not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston