Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 06:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,298 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking of moving to Houston as he is an Engineer. HOwever, it seems from what i've read that I wont be able to work. Is this true?? I think he would only be getting a TN visa for contract work and it would just keep getting renewed as long as he is there. Is there any way I could get my own visa?? I'm not an Engineer or anything though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
If your husband is coming on an H1B visa, and you join him on a H4 visa, you will not be able to work. You cannot obtain a social security number with an H4, therefore, employers cannot legally hire you.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 AM

Is there anything I can do? Is there a visa he could request so that I would be able to work? Or is it possible for me to get a visa after living there with him for a period of time??...

I dont know what to do if I cant get one. We would be going for better pay but if I cant work....and the cold canadian winter is coming soon

Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Not being nosey, but is your husband's job related to the oil industry? The reason I ask is because if he is, chances are very high that he can come here on an H1B. I just re-read your post and see that he is is coming on a TN visa. There is nothing prohibiting you for applying for a TN visa either. By chance, would your employment be in the oil industry as well?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:09 AM

Yes, his would be in the oil industry. I dont know what visa it would be (TN is just what I heard through others thats all). Can employees choose/request certian visa's so that their wives can work? No, I would not be working in the Oil industry. Right now I work in a dental office but I woudnt care too much of what I would be doing there, as long as I can join him in Houston

Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
You might want to hire the services of an Immigration Attorney to advise you. Immigration law is very complex and the smallest mistake can completely derail your chances of legally working in the US.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:19 AM

Movetous,

You said your husband is 'thinking' of coming to Houston, does that mean he has an offer, or will he seek out employment once he gets here? Usually when there is an offer, it comes with an H1B sponsorship for foreigners.

If your husband does not have an offer, then perhaps you might consider sending me a private message (dm). If he is interested in full time employment and an H1B offer, perhaps I may be able to assist. I'm not in the recruiting business, or an immigration attorney, BTW. I'm a US citizen and my wife happens to be from Spain, so I know something about the immigration requirements. I do work for a major oil company, so I can present his CV/Resume directly to the HR department, and my company is desperately looking for engineers (as are most oil companies these days).

Old 10-09-2008, 07:27 AM

He doesnt have an offer but he will seek the job before he goes. He has friends there who have mentioned that their companies are looking. He is a Naval Architect (considered engineer in US). Would that be something your campnay would be looking for?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,528 times
you can apply for work in any foreign embassy, say as an admin assitant or driver or whatever. they can issue visas, my ex-GF even got a G4 visa (dang). she did have the most infectous smile

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
you can apply for work in any foreign embassy, say as an admin assitant or driver or whatever. they can issue visas, my ex-GF even got a G4 visa (dang). she did have the most infectous smile
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston