Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,340 times

Advertisements

We planning to buy our first house. We have looked at some pretty affordable houses in the alief area. From what I have read in this forum, the alief area is regarded as a dangerous neighborhood and the alief ISD as academically acceptable at best. I've had friends tell me to stay away from Bissonnet at all costs. Now the general area I'm talking about is Bissonnet near Highway 6. Is stretch of Bissonnet just as bad as Bissonnet between Beltway 8 and Hw 59? What other areas should we consider?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-30-2008 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luizlv View Post
We planning to buy our first house. We have looked at some pretty affordable houses in the alief area. From what I have read in this forum, the alief area is regarded as a dangerous neighborhood and the alief ISD as academically acceptable at best. I've had friends tell me to stay away from Bissonnet at all costs. Now the general area I'm talking about is Bissonnet near Highway 6. Is stretch of Bissonnet just as bad as Bissonnet between Beltway 8 and Hw 59? What other areas should we consider?
Alief is not that bad of an area, just not as lilly as some folks would like it to be. Take a look at Mission Bend or Richmond, you should find some pretty good deals over there.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Check out the crime statistics by zip code or by neighborhood and that might help you also to select a neighborhood.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
I would not consider Mission Bend or Anything in Alief. Most likely you will lose property value not gain it. You will also have a hard time selling it if you ever need to. Misssion Bend is crime ridden.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:

Well if you want west side of town you may want to look in zip 77077. Or even a small section of 77042 called Walnut Bend. The later not having the greatest schools. Most people in that little subdivision have their kids in elite private schools, and afford it by living in little ranch houses there.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 82,191 times
As a Realtor, I would not advise Alief. Property values have plummeted and the schools are not very good.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM

135 posts, read 719,271 times
Quote:
I am first home buyer too, just signed the contract. I did some mistakes.

1. Have Realtor with you (make sure who gives back 2% , you can take it off from the base price) - realtor should work with you - not with seller, If you dont know anything , realtor will work with seller
2. Make sure YOU GET THE OPTIONS LIST FOR THE UPGRADES - THIS IS THE KEY POINT - Add all the upgrades you want and start bargaining

Above 2 points are enough to save you over $20K. I lost about $5000 because of upgrades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston