Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wait behind the line or in the intersection while waiting to turn left (while the light is gr
I wait behind the line, of course! 34 24.29%
I wait out in the intersection, duh! 97 69.29%
I never really thought about it. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

If you enter an intersection on a green, you are not in violation if the light turns red while you are still in the intersection.
Texas Constitution and Statutes - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Wow, it just seems like it would be. Are you breaking the law if you block opposite traffic from coming through?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, it just seems like it would be. Are you breaking the law if you block opposite traffic from coming through?
I don't for sure, but it would make sense because you are creating a hazardous situation 100% of the time.

Most of the traffic code is common sense. It is common sense that you should be able to enter the intersection on a green in any lane, turning lane included. It is also common sense that you cannot be in the intersection after the light turns red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
My comment makes perfect sense for two reasons: 1) the light is red for a reason...it means you cannot go 2) you know that big white line? you're not supposed to cross it.

I'm pretty sure waiting out in the intersection is illegal in Texas (still researching it) and if it is illegal, it is for a reason and if you do it YOU ARE WRONG. No way around it.

You're right...but in MY CASE, it DOES mean that I am an excellent driver, it DOES mean that I drive the speed limit, and NO I don't speed.

I take responsible driving very seriously and I am very proud of my skills, so if you're someone who does speed and breaks numerous other laws on the road, you and I have nothing further to discuss.
No offense, but driving the speed limit doesn't make you an excellent driver, it just means you drive the speed limit. It's common knowledge that, more and more, speed limits rarely have anything to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. As human beings in a car culture, we all think we are excellent drivers. I would posit that a truly excellent driver understands their limitations and makes sure to drive in such a way as to minimize them, as well as understand how their driving affects others around them. If you do all of those things, then yes, you should be considered a good driver. OTOH, if you approach driving as "I'm right and they're wrong" then you aren't any better than the teenager swerving between cars. Both are hazards, just in different ways.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
No offense, but driving the speed limit doesn't make you an excellent driver, it just means you drive the speed limit. It's common knowledge that, more and more, speed limits rarely have anything to do with safety and everything to do with revenue. As human beings in a car culture, we all think we are excellent drivers. I would posit that a truly excellent driver understands their limitations and makes sure to drive in such a way as to minimize them, as well as understand how their driving affects others around them. If you do all of those things, then yes, you should be considered a good driver. OTOH, if you approach driving as "I'm right and they're wrong" then you aren't any better than the teenager swerving between cars. Both are hazards, just in different ways.
I never said that driving the speed limit made me a good driver. I said that I was an excellent driver that did the speed limit. But you cannot sit there and honestly tell me that everyone in this country "knows" they are excellent motorists, when my daily roadway experiences tells me that most folks could care less that their driving habits are irresponsible and could potentially interrupt the traffic or cause harm to another individual. Every single day I deal with some idiot on the road who refuses practice courtesy and caution.

Point is, there are good drivers and there are bad/selfish/irresponsible drivers. The better half of us place safety and order at high priority when on the road. So if you decide to get upset because I'm doing 30 and the speed limit is 30, well you can just kiss my ass and find your exit because I'm not accelerating for you.

Oh, and the only time I approach driving as "I'm right and they're wrong" is when I am right and they are wrong. There's no room for carelessness or mistakes when you play it safe.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Why would you be blocking traffic unless your car stalled while you were in the intersection?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:23 PM

492 posts, read 962,453 times
I always head into the intersection while the light is green, especially if there's traffic lined up behind me. Driver's Ed training.

Interesting this is in a Houston forum. I spent a couple of decades there, never had a problem with moving into the intersection, seems like most other drivers did the same.

Moved to Dallas and dangeddddd... those suckers sit behind the line til someone honks... usually me. I'm getting tooooo old to learn road rage.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,414,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Why would you be blocking traffic unless your car stalled while you were in the intersection?

It definitely happens--especially during heavy traffic times when people just want to make it through the light and they don't care anymore. They then encounter other cars engaging in the same mass exodus that are not moving at all...so the people all going left sit there in the middle of the intersection...so freaking frustrating!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
I always head into the intersection while the light is green, especially if there's traffic lined up behind me. Driver's Ed training.

Interesting this is in a Houston forum. I spent a couple of decades there, never had a problem with moving into the intersection, seems like most other drivers did the same.

Moved to Dallas and dangeddddd... those suckers sit behind the line til someone honks... usually me. I'm getting tooooo old to learn road rage.
Getting mad at someone who exercises caution...so you're that kind of driver

Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times
Quote:
It definitely happens--especially during heavy traffic times when people just want to make it through the light and they don't care anymore. They then encounter other cars engaging in the same mass exodus that are not moving at all...so the people all going left sit there in the middle of the intersection...so freaking frustrating!
I work at Williams Tower and experience this everyday. Cars on Alabama constantly block Post Oak because they enter the intersection with no idea how they are going to get through to 610 (turners aren't the problem in this case). Everyone honks, tempers flare, and the cycle starts all over again.

I think that much of the issue can be blamed on insufficient road capacity, poor signage, and terrible road designs. Traffic engineers have learned a lot over the decades, but so many of our roads (and highways) are old and nothing short of a complete redo will help.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
I work at Williams Tower and experience this everyday. Cars on Alabama constantly block Post Oak because they enter the intersection with no idea how they are going to get through to 610 (turners aren't the problem in this case). Everyone honks, tempers flare, and the cycle starts all over again.
I understand that situation, where people enter the intersection and it isn't clear to exit the intersection because of cars backed up ahead.

I'm not picturing mom2feebs situation of turning left though, unless she means the cross street one is turning onto is backed up and not moving. In which case you're still not blocking traffic since the cross traffic couldn't go anyway.

If you pull into the intersection and wait to turn left due to oncoming traffic, then when the light turns red the oncoming traffic will stop and you can proceed. You won't be blocking anyone. And since there is a brief lag between your red and their green, you won't even delay their start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston