Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wait behind the line or in the intersection while waiting to turn left (while the light is gr
I wait behind the line, of course! 34 24.29%
I wait out in the intersection, duh! 97 69.29%
I never really thought about it. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianspringsguy View Post
Technically, you are breaking the law if you are in the intersection when the light is red. However, there is generally a wait time to let traffic clear. Police will give a ticket if you arein the intersection when the light is red and cameras at monitored intersections will take you photo and you will get a fine. Youyr will not clear the intersection in time generally before it becomes a problem for you (and others).
Have you not read any of this thread? You are absolutely wrong, wrong, wrong. Heck, read jimmyev's post just a couple above you, where a judge threw out a ticket because being in an intersection when it turns red is not illegal.

I'll make this simple for you. In Texas, you are not running a red light if you have entered the intersection before the light turns red. Repeat: As long as any of your car has entered the intersection while the light is green or yellow, then you can continue thru the intersection legally, even if it turns red while you are exiting it.

This is Texas. Every state is different.

Oh, and the red-light cameras you mention? They look to see if you have entered the intersection after it turns red. Not if you are in it, if you entered it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
People who pull out and wait in the intersection are inconsiderate, short-sighted, and rude. Not to mention accident-provoking, line-of-sight blocking asshats.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People who pull out and wait in the intersection are inconsiderate, short-sighted, and rude. Not to mention accident-provoking, line-of-sight blocking asshats.
No, actually that's the approved way to turn left across traffic when you don't have a protected turn light. Approved by the State of Texas. And based on my years of driving, it's practiced by about 90% of drivers.

The 10% that don't do it (I assume you are one) are inconsiderate, short-sighted, and rude. Not to mention accident-provoking, line-of-sight blocking asshats.

Seriously, if you think it's wrong, why does the state allow it?

At a busy intersection, if you waited behind the line, and it turns red, you have to wait for the next cycle. If it's busy, you might wait for years. If you enter the intersection, at least one or two cars can turn.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Most of the time I see this happen, there is a protected arrow. People just don't want to wait around for it. That's what I consider dangerous and accident-provoking. Plus, the people on the other side can't turn because the car in the intersection is blocking their view.

If it's your only choice for the turn, then go for it. But that's not what's going on - at least not where I live where pretty much every light has a protected left arrow. People just don't want to wait.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Most of the time I see this happen, there is a protected arrow. People just don't want to wait around for it. That's what I consider dangerous and accident-provoking. Plus, the people on the other side can't turn because the car in the intersection is blocking their view.

If it's your only choice for the turn, then go for it. But that's not what's going on - at least not where I live where pretty much every light has a protected left arrow. People just don't want to wait.
If the intersection has a protected left-turn signal, then you are running a red light if you turn left when it's red. No one here is talking about that. Not sure what brought that into your post?

But if you have a green to turn, and it's not protected, pull into the intersection. It's the law! I will agree, it can be challenging to see at some intersections depending on where cars are waiting, but one has to use some intelligence when driving. Although many don't.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Until finding this thread, I didn't know there was any confusion about left turns. I was taught to pull into the intersection. In the several different states I've lived in including Texas it was the norm. There is no intersection being blocked. When the light turns red, oncoming traffic stops, you make the left turn. No problem. The ones screwing everything up are those in the through lanes that run the light, causing the left hand lane to be delayed, and those who do not pull into the intersection for the left turn. You are hindering the smooth flow of traffic and are contributing to less vehicles making the left turn per cycle.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Until finding this thread, I didn't know there was any confusion about left turns. I was taught to pull into the intersection. In the several different states I've lived in including Texas it was the norm. There is no intersection being blocked. When the light turns red, oncoming traffic stops, you make the left turn. No problem. The ones screwing everything up are those in the through lanes that run the light, causing the left hand lane to be delayed, and those who do not pull into the intersection for the left turn. You are hindering the smooth flow of traffic and are contributing to less vehicles making the left turn per cycle.
Very well said. However, with insight like this, we are going to have to revoke your drivers license. Please come back when you have no idea how to drive, and we'll give you one then.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:23 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Whew, you scared me when I first started reading your post, thinking "No way they gave you a ticket!" Glad to see the judge understands the law.

What's surprising is that a cop would give you a ticket. It's not like this is news or anything. Been a law for years. Maybe he thought you wouldn't fight it.

Then she is just wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
Well the eximiner knocked points off my test for doing this procedure. You can call wrong all you want, but if a officer cites you you'll have to take it up with the judge.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Well the eximiner knocked points off my test for doing this procedure. You can call wrong all you want, but if a officer cites you you'll have to take it up with the judge.
First, if an examiner knocked points off for a legal maneuver, I would contest it. It's easy enough to find the statute, and file a complaint. OTOH, if I passed, I'd probably just grin & bear it.

And as far as an officer citing you, see jimmyev's post above. He was cited, went before a judge, who threw it out. I would probably file a complaint on this too, making sure the HPD was aware one of its officers is handing out tickets for no reason.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 12,773 times
actually in the code says that you can get to the middle of the intersection when attempting to turn left on a two way traffic. In other words, you can wait there if you want or wait behind the line, but no cop can stop you for staying in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left on a green light. Check the Texas transportation code 545.101 section c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston