Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wait behind the line or in the intersection while waiting to turn left (while the light is gr
I wait behind the line, of course! 34 24.29%
I wait out in the intersection, duh! 97 69.29%
I never really thought about it. 9 6.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 AM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am not completely sure of differences in laws between Texas and other areas. Here is an example:

Ahead is an intersection where I will be turning left. The traffic signal is green (not a green arrow, just a green light). There is oncoming traffic, so I *proceed into the intersection and stop*, then either wait for the oncoming traffic to clear or wait for the signal to change before proceeding left. I see this as positioning yourself for the turn, and it ensures that at least one vehicle waiting to turn left will be allowed to proceed on each green light.

I do this all the time. I always have. I was taught this in drivers education in Iowa. Everyone I know waits in the middle of the intersection on left turns, that is, except my wife.

She is adamant that this practice is dangerous and illegal. I would like some backup here, preferably from law enforcement types, but anyone is welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,987 times
I generally wait just a bit into the intersection, ready to go. AFAIK, if you are in the intersection when the light turns red, you are still OK to make your turn. This doesn't apply if you are behind the line.

Now, if I drove a big truck or SUV, I would probably wait behind the line as it would allow oncoming turning traffic to see around me.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I usually ease out into the intersection.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
I had this very same discussion/argument/hissy fit with a dear friend.

He is with you. I'm with your wife, though I don't agree that moving _into the intersection is illegal. It just makes me nervous and I don't want to be "stuck" out there!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
While moving into the intersection is not illegal, blocking oncoming traffic when you get yourself stuck after your light turns red is. It is usually a given that the first car will make it through, but subsequent cars need to be careful before proceeding. A light usually lasts less than 45 seconds.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
as long as there is no red arrow i'll wait up to the middle of the intersection. that probably gives oncoming traffic a sign that i'm serious about making this turn

Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
While moving into the intersection is not illegal, blocking oncoming traffic when you get yourself stuck after your light turns red is. It is usually a given that the first car will make it through, but subsequent cars need to be careful before proceeding. A light usually lasts less than 45 seconds.
So true! That being said, I only ease out IF I am the first car....If not...I'm hlding back. I don't cherish being T-boned!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepossum View Post
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am not completely sure of differences in laws between Texas and other areas. Here is an example:

Ahead is an intersection where I will be turning left. The traffic signal is green (not a green arrow, just a green light). There is oncoming traffic, so I *proceed into the intersection and stop*, then either wait for the oncoming traffic to clear or wait for the signal to change before proceeding left. I see this as positioning yourself for the turn, and it ensures that at least one vehicle waiting to turn left will be allowed to proceed on each green light.

I do this all the time. I always have. I was taught this in drivers education in Iowa. Everyone I know waits in the middle of the intersection on left turns, that is, except my wife.

She is adamant that this practice is dangerous and illegal. I would like some backup here, preferably from law enforcement types, but anyone is welcome. Thanks.
I do this as well as long as I'm not going to cause gridlock as I think mom2feebs might be describing.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,308,241 times
I'm still in shock every time I see someone make a u-turn in an intersection. Back home, that would have netted you a ticket. And I see it here all of the time. I am assuming that it is legal in Texas. Legal or not, it isn't safe and I am teaching my teenage daughter to drive past an intersection and make a u-turn in a median u-turn lane (where there isn't a u-turn before the intersection - which is most everywhere).

but I do pull out to make a left turn (on occasion). The only place I ever do that though is at Walnut Bend and Westheimer - and that is once in a blue moon. Seems most lights I go through have a left turn signal.

Last edited by cla; 01-06-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
If you wait out in the intersection, I'm sorry but I HATE YOU. YOU are the reason accidents and holdups are caused.

Sincerely, Responsible Person with a spotless driving record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston