Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:40 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from California living in Arizona. Phoenix feels so much more liberal and western than Houston and its not really liberal. It just seems ridiculous that Houston residents think of themselves as western and not southern despite the fact that they are so close to the Lousiana border? I understand that Houston is a large and financially secure city. However, culturally, it's pretty Bible Belt if you ask me. It's clearly a southern city but why don't you guys embrace that? Why are you always denying it when no one outside of Houston sees you as anything but a conservative city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
If by Southern, you mean Mississippi style, then no. I don't think anyone denies it's southern, though- as in Western South (vs. Eastern South). Texas "Southwest" here is different vs. Arizona "Southwest." There has been anthropological research on this, and honestly this topic has been beaten to death on the Texas forum if you look for it. Complete with maps and everything.

Certainly the Louisiana influence is here, being ~100 miles from the border. But so is Central (German) & South Texas (Mexican), not to mention all the different domestic & international influences. I also believe Houston is the only southern city to have a 40% Hispanic population, probably more like 50% counting the 'undocumented'. The metro is at a cultural crossroads:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.jpg

So it's hard to just slap on a generic label to the entire area.

As far as religion goes, the plurality in all but the very small counties in the metro is Catholic, not Baptist:
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~cook/m...rch_bodies.gif

Just because church is big here doesn't mean that it's 'bible belt.' A mega-church doesn't necessarily mean anything more than Deist. And last I read Southern Baptist was #4 or #5 most common here.

Here's another map that's also been beaten to death:
http://images.newsmax.com/misc/2008_Election_Map.jpg

That's ''conservative'' Houston - the big blue county in SE TX. (The little one is Beaumont) Houston overall is more 50/50 moderate than anything. If you're coming from the west, of course it's going to seem conservative!!

I'm not sure what we need to ''embrace.'' The proof is in the figures. Quit trying to paint the area with a broad brush. And do you think you're actually going to change anyone's mind when you rip through here with judgmental posts such as these?

//www.city-data.com/forum/7433108-post34.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7433045-post60.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/7432990-post49.html

Old 02-12-2009, 06:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm originally from California living in Arizona. Phoenix feels so much more liberal and western than Houston and its not really liberal. It just seems ridiculous that Houston residents think of themselves as western and not southern despite the fact that they are so close to the Lousiana border? I understand that Houston is a large and financially secure city. However, culturally, it's pretty Bible Belt if you ask me. It's clearly a southern city but why don't you guys embrace that? Why are you always denying it when no one outside of Houston sees you as anything but a conservative city?
I understand it is probably asking too much to expect a Californian to be able to grasp the nuances of "southern", but Houston, and all of Texas for that matter, is qualitatively very different from the surrounding areas. And I, for one, sure as hell do not count myself as Western.

Enjoy Phoenix.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:49 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Not sure if I should give this TROLL post the time of day, but what the heck.

First off, I don't believe you if you say you have been to Houston.

Houston does not identify itself as either South or West. It is TEXAS, which is its own region.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
It's TEXAN.
It's not southern, it's not western.
It's Texan.

PS- on the map, Harris Country (you know Houston) voted blue during the past election. Not that doubling the deficit in 23 days is something to be proud of or anything.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:58 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,402,237 times
I don't know one Houstonian that considers themselves "western". We're not "southern" in the conventional sense. Texas has always been, and hopefully will always be, its own sort of galaxy.

As far as politics, geez, we have a Democrat for a Mayor, a Republican for County Judge, and a smattering of the two across the political office spectrum as far as the eye can see. I'd say we're pretty balanced. Conservative? That depends on what part of town. Bible Belt? One of the best things about this city (and a subject that has many threads here) is how "religious" Houston is. The short answer is Houston is as religious (or not) as you want it to be. We are one of the most diverse cities in the nation with many faiths practicing here. So if you want to call us a "Bible Belt" city, I suppose you'll have to throw in the Talmud, Taisho Daizokyo, Vida, and Q'uran with that, and then of course, there are those who do not go to church...

Jeez, so I've said all that and I'm left wondering: have you ever even been to Houston?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,680,542 times
^Y'all all said it better than I could have! Here's one more link. http://www.houstonculture.org/resources/houston.html

Signed,
Not The Only Agnostic Atheist Bleeding Heart Liberal Living Comfortably in the So-Called "Bible Belt"

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM

182 posts, read 768,432 times
This post makes no sense at all.

Houston is not Conservative (That would be Dallas)
Houston is not Bible-Belt (Also Dallas)

As for southern... not so much. There is little in common with Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, etc. First off, Texas was not original US Territory like the rest of the "south" (Treaty of Paris / Louisian Purchase area) Texas gained independance seperately and every since has been a little "on it's own" relative to the other states. It did side with the confederacy but was never a major slave area or war zone, so it does not share that aspect of history either. Culturally Houston has Mexican heritage, unlike the rest of the "confederate" states. And, to top it off, Houston area schools are not and have never been SEC but SWC and now Big 12 / CUSA.

Incidentally, we're also farther south than "the south". Go figure.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:32 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Anyone from north of I-10 is a yankee. Including The Woodlands.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Anyone from north of I-10 is a yankee. Including The Woodlands.

ROTF!

Spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston