Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoshakristy View Post
I am a thirty something relocating to Houston area in June-July. I have never been to to the area. Can anyone tell me areas that have great schools, low crime and houses $210,000 and below. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoshakristy View Post
How far is Sugarland from Houston? What kind of town is it??
Sugar Land is about 22 miles from Houston. Sugar Land has...

1. Many excellent schools. You can read TEA Accountability ratings or parent reviews at GreatSchools.net

2. Low crime (http://www.fortbendnow.com/2009/02/19/35810 - broken link), especially when compared to other areas in the Houston metro.

3. Lots of nice houses for $210K or less.

4. Plenty of well-manicured parks and walking trails in several master planned communities like First Colony, New Territory, and Greatwood.

5. Very strict zoning. Some people hate it and some people love it. Many of the buildings in the retail districts are brick, including McDonald's and IHOP. It causes some people to make fun of Sugar Land but I think it is a refreshing change from the lack of zoning in other parts of Houston metro.

6. Sugar Land Town Square - the place that Inner Loopers gnash their teeth about because it was master planned rather than developed over time organically. Personally, I enjoy living near it.

7. A Whole Foods Market with a supervised club house for children - if you are a parent of young children aged 3 to 7, they can play on Mac computers or do art while you shop for organic groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times
League city / Clear lake / Friendswood / Pearland area. All between 15-25 miles from Houston. Friendswood was just voted the best bang for your buck in Texas. Great Schools, low crime, excellent growth. Short drive to the beach. Ive lived in League City or Friendswood all my life.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 88,817 times
We moved here 6 months ago. We ended up in South Katy. Everyone told us to go to Sugarland. We spent a lot of time there, looking at houses and the area. We liked it but had concerns. The houses at that time were fairly pricey (they may have come down now due to the market tanking in general). There was a lot of inconsistency in the schools...we would find a house we liked, and it would have a very good elementary school, an okay middle school, but a questionable high school. Or vice-versa. We ran into this over and over. Finally, we decided to look in South Katy. I didn't find it to be any more 'bland' than the Sugarland/Missouri City area. And the thing that won me over personally is that the entire school district is great. Every house we saw had good or great schools. Nothing questionable. This was a concern for me because re-districting does happen as these areas grow and new developments open up. I felt safe with the schools in South Katy. We also looked in the Memorial area and I found the same thing there with the schools being inconsistent (plus $350k gets you a fixer-upper!). I think you really just have to see for yourself and do your homework on the schools. My children's schools are fantastic and we like our neighborhood a lot (Grand Lakes). Take the time to look around! Good luck!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:07 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,034 times
You said small town. How small is small? Less than 50,000? Less than 10,000?

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,613 times
Katy south of I10 is a beautiful city. Great schools. Master planned communities. New homes, new retail, new schools. Easy access to freeways.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

1. Many excellent schools. You can read TEA Accountability ratings or parent reviews at GreatSchools.net

2. Low crime (http://www.fortbendnow.com/2009/02/19/35810 - broken link), especially when compared to other areas in the Houston metro.

4. Plenty of well-manicured parks and walking trails in several master planned communities like First Colony, New Territory, and Greatwood.

5. Very strict zoning. Some people hate it and some people love it. Many of the buildings in the retail districts are brick, including McDonald's and IHOP. It causes some people to make fun of Sugar Land but I think it is a refreshing change from the lack of zoning in other parts of Houston metro.

6. Sugar Land Town Square - the place that Inner Loopers gnash their teeth about because it was master planned rather than developed over time organically. Personally, I enjoy living near it.

7. A Whole Foods Market with a supervised club house for children - if you are a parent of young children aged 3 to 7, they can play on Mac computers or do art while you shop for organic groceries.

God, we are so F***** different. numbers 6 and 7 go hand in hand.

a typical saturday night out for a family such as yours would include, going to barnes and nobles, eating at a restaurant near towncenter, strolling through Towncenter itself(with plenty of cops so dont worry) and then dumping your kids off at world food market and go grocery shopping.

But for real, SugarLand is a great place for kids to grow up and for parents to not have to worry about whats going on. But the part of SugarLand you really want to focus on is First Colony, and New Territory.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
Default Kenoshakristy

Sugar Land/Rosenberg area are beautiful. Near all sorts of eating establishments, large mall and Whole Food Store. Walmart if you like shopping there. Movie Theatres, Nail shops abound. Very clean! There is even a Tuesday Morning for great shopping. I am a realtor. Call me 832/693-8510.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 43,721 times
Pearland fits the bill, perfectly.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM

174 posts, read 406,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

I would say Sugarland is a good place to look at. It has easy access to Galleria, Medical center and Downtown. If you happened to be in medical, Sugarland has opened 3 major hospitals, Memorial Hermann, Methodist, and St Luke hospitals.

You may look at New Territory and Riverstone, both subdivision are zoned to good or exemplary schools. you can find houses in New Territory starting from $160K and Riverstone starting from $200K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston