Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,691,989 times

Advertisements

Any further attempts to hijack this thread into 'burb-bashing will also be deleted. The topic for those who have forgotten:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well

In Depth: America's Top 25 Towns To Live Well - Forbes.com

Hopefully with the museum and other attractions opening up in the next few years, we can continue to move up the list. This is good news for Sugar Land and Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,853,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
Hopefully with the museum and other attractions opening up in the next few years, we can continue to move up the list. This is good news for Sugar Land and Texas.
By other attractions, do you mean the entertainment center that's supposed to be going up near the new park?
Anyone know when that's supposed to happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
No surprise really, Old Richmond/Boss Gaston has always been dodgy.
No, Goldshire wants to build further south, on the other Old Richmond Rd near the Sugar Land regional airport. It would be zoned to Austin, not Bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Let's be honest. North of Alt 90 doesn't really count to the average Sugar Land resident anyways.
I don't know why that would be. I could understand the part of it right by Alief or Mission Bend, but there's a lot of nice development around and just north of 90. Even more so once the Imperial site and surrounding area up Hwy 6 is redeveloped (and there is an example of good development plans, unlike Goldshire.)

If residents south of 90 keep up that attitude (if it's indeed true), they're going to find undesirable development creeping closer and closer to them. Much of New Territory is zoned to Austin High, the same school zone Goldshire wants to build. If they don't care, then they need to.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM

102 posts, read 326,515 times
Quote:
Let's be honest. North of Alt 90 doesn't really count to the average Sugar Land resident anyways.
It does for those of us that have lived here since before "First Colony" existed.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,853,296 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy914 View Post
It does for those of us that have lived here since before "First Colony" existed.
I thought I saw on har.com that Orchard Lake Estates was one of the most looked-up subdivisions in Sugar Land and even all of Fort Bend. It's north of Alt 90.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:00 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,352,863 times
Quote:

Oh c'mon...a relative lives in Sugar Mill, which is part of "old" Sugar Land north of Alt 90. There are some very nice older homes (with mature trees!!) in that development, and I am pretty sure they consider themselves "average Sugar Land residents". And I for one would love one of the renovated sugar mill employee bungalows in The Hill area....

But since we're being critical... one thing I've never understood is how someone can pay big bucks to live in an oversized home in one of these MPCs -- and be less than 10 FEET from their neighbor!! That makes no sense to me at all.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
But since we're being critical... one thing I've never understood is how someone can pay big bucks to live in an oversized home in one of these MPCs -- and be less than 10 FEET from their neighbor!! That makes no sense to me at all.
Because it probably takes even more money to live in an oversized house with land. Likely, lots and lots more money.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 PM

454 posts, read 1,586,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
I choose to live in an MPC for a few reasons. Neighbors w/ kids so my son has other kids to play with in the neighberhood. I like the neighberhood ammenities like a pool, tennis courts, parks, etc...I can't afford to build all those in my backyard. I like that the drainage system is designed to not flood, so that is one less thing to worry about, and I like the size of the homes you can get, because I spend most of my time at home in my house, and not out of the my house. Now, I would love to have a huge 1/2 - 1 acre lot that allows for a bit of privacy and personal space, but I don't want to give up the other things I mentioned just to own more dirt around my house. I do wish they built an MPC that was designed 100% around 1/3 - 1/2 acre lots minimum, but if they did, they would require 5000sq/ft min. houses on them, price them through the roof, and it would be a $1mil+ area, which I can't afford to get in.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Wrong!, the only areas I can honestly say that's better than Sugarland is River Oaks, any of the inner loop villages, West U, Rice area, parts of belaire and "maybe" The woodlands. Anything else is a reach, people just hating on Sugarland.

Let's just be honest, It's hard to beat the all around living you can get in Sugarland PERIOD!

btw; Sugarland's zoning is second to none
I guess you and Topaz are right.. except for the fact that things get real old real fast. I mean if Sugarland has some new attraction.. you go see it and bada-boom within 3 days you've literally seen everything.

In Sugar Land things are safe, clean, and if your living here.. its home

but with the Highschool kids and the slow,monotonous lifestyle... things get spoiled rather quickly.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,584,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I guess you and Topaz are right.. except for the fact that things get [i]real old real fast.
Every kid that grows up in the burbs comes to realize this. Trust me, it ain't just Sugar Land.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,127,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I guess you and Topaz are right.. except for the fact that things get real old real fast. I mean if Sugarland has some new attraction.. you go see it and bada-boom within 3 days you've literally seen everything.

In Sugar Land things are safe, clean, and if your living here.. its home

but with the Highschool kids and the slow,monotonous lifestyle... things get spoiled rather quickly.
And what would high school kids be doing if they grew up in your urban utopia? Seriously, what benefits are the from growing up in an urban environment (Manhattan) compared to a suburban environment (Sugar Land).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston