Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:00 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
on weekday evenings there are a good # of roughneck speed demons drinking beer, weaving through traffic at 90 mph on the way home.
Your wife really needs to talk to you about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:24 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Your wife really needs to talk to you about that.

Hey- out there it's either eat or be eaten. However I leave the beer at home for Fridays, and I'm more of a nerd than a roughneck.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:33 PM

39 posts, read 219,546 times
Default It sounds like ...

I-75 in FL ... especially in the winter ... not a good place to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Stay off US-90. Very slow route to be used only if the freeway is completely shut down.

Hankamer to Cove construction has gotten a lot better recently. There is usually a pullover lane but in places, there is no room for error. Baytown to Channelview is still very tight with narrow lanes and no margin for error. I'd still just grin & bear this route as there really isn't any other good way to go out there.

The main issue here is I-10 is a major artery for 18 wheelers, especially that part with all of them coming in & out of the port. It can get pretty hairy sometimes. I drive it every day. Sundays might be easier to deal with, but on weekday evenings there are a good # of roughneck speed demons drinking beer, weaving through traffic at 90 mph on the way home.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:36 PM

39 posts, read 219,546 times
Default We usually ...

would rather be moving, even slowly, than not moving. Not moving causes much stress and gnashing of teeth!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I just took I10 from Lafayette to Houston for Easter weekend and the construction was still in place. It took us 5 1/2 hours to go 222 miles; it normally takes 3 1/2. Wwe have taken 90 before to get around. It all depends if you like to be moving or not. I cannot stand being stuck and not moving at all so I would rather be going 50 on 90 than moving 1 mile in an hour. You will have to decide that! Hope that helps!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,082 times
I am travelling to Houston in June for a week, wondering if anyone would recommend to a tourist to rent a car and driving there or am I better off using taxis.. some of what I am reading is quite scarey about Houson driving!

Old 05-12-2010, 03:38 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrina View Post
I am travelling to Houston in June for a week, wondering if anyone would recommend to a tourist to rent a car and driving there or am I better off using taxis.. some of what I am reading is quite scarey about Houson driving!
Definitely rent a car. Unless you don't plan on doing much traveling around town.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 PM

102 posts, read 185,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The Beltway is a great alternative if you want to pay to add time to your trip. Traffic on Sunday is not that bad.

This. I don't mind going the 290 way if I'm not in any sort of hurry, but you're probably looking for the quickest way from A to B.

If we're not in a big hurry, we go on down I10 to Luling, have some kick-a$$ bar-b-q, then go straight north through Lockhart and into Austin. Just another option....

Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM

192 posts, read 505,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
290 sucks 24/7.
There is close to no traffic on 290 on a weekend.

There is traffic, however, on 610 West Loop between I-10 & Ella on Saturdays.

This chart may help you plan your drive.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:44 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,384 times
here is what you need to know to drive on Houston freeways

if it is stop and go don't let ANYONE change lanes in front of you because they won't know how to drive, will leave a huge gap for more people that don't know how to drive to get over in front of you, and will be the reason it is impossible for you to change lanes if you need to

if the freeways are running smooth it is 70mph in the right lane, 75-80 in the middle lanes and the right lane is for 80+ please be courteous to those looking to pass you as well if in the right lane and get over to the middle when you see their headlights flash.....please, thank you

Old 05-12-2010, 06:07 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,451,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2599 View Post
each of you for your posts. Sounds as if going straight through downtown on I-10 is the most direct way, not to mention being the quickest, especially on Sunday.

I hadn't even noticed TX-71 to Columbus. It does look like a good way to go. Thanks for that suggestion!

Re construction on I-10 from Lafayette to Beaumont and Hankamer to Cove and Baytown to Channelview: Would it be better to get off I-10 at Beaumont and take US 90 using 146 to get back to I-10 or is it better to just tough it out on I-10 through the rough spots?

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.

The best route would be straight up I-10 to 71 towards Austin. Sorry I can't comment on the construction parts of I-10 that you will have to travel through but I would certainly suggest taking 71 to Austin from I-10. It is an easy drive once on 71 to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston